Symetra

Updated Nov 29, 2014

2.7

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Symetra in October 2014.

Very professional throughout.
    I cold applied to the job via their career website. I was contacted by an internal recruiting manager about 2 weeks later for a 30 minute phone screen. Very professional and targeted questions - salary expectations, what is my management style, even a few technical screen questions specific to the role. Immediately upon completing the phone screen I was told that a second phone screen would be set up with the hiring manager.
    The hiring manager was going on holiday, so the next stage got delayed by about a week. This was relatively informal, more of a conversation to ensure we are on the same page in terms of expectations and requirements.

A couple days later, I was invited for an onsite team interview. HR gave me names of the people I would be talking with.

I met with a total of three managers in two different meetings, including the person I spoke with on the phone. The first hour was with two managers I had not spoken with before. It felt a little like good cop/bad cop. One of the managers was their 'details' guy and pressed a little on the technical/job-specific requirements. The other guy asked more about soft skills. A mix of behavioral questions ("tell me about a time when") and more general and common questions such as "what are your strengths and weaknesses?" I learned in this interview about some additional expectations for the role - not totally unexpected but a larger part of the role than I had anticipated. I struggled a bit to address the concerns as I wasn't prepared for this line of questioning.

I then met with the manager I spoke with on the phone. This was essentially a continuation of our earlier phone conversation, in order to learn more about the role and my skills. I think he asked maybe one direct question.

Some of the managers would be traveling the following week, so I was told that it would be a couple weeks before I would hear back.

Exactly on schedule, I received an email from the original HR recruiter that the team to pursue a candidate who was a better fit for the role.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you managed to a quantifiable SLA.   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Symetra.

The interview process for their actuarial internships lasts about four hours, and I saw four different branches of the company. You stay in a room and each branch comes to you. Their recruitment person is there to make you feel relaxed and she is really nice and very comforting. They ask you some fairly technical questions, they really are trying to get a feel for how good you are at actuarial science. They asked me one question about Excel that in the moment I had no idea how to answer, but then five minutes after the interview I was like, duh. All in all it wasn't too stressful, just be confident and practice with your college or friend with tricky questions so you don't say the wrong thing. I was offered an internship position but I turned it down for a full time position at Premera Blue Cross.

Interview Questions
    • Ironically, the hardest question for me to answer was "tell us about yourself". With my career advisor, I had a mock interview and she recommended being very technical and listing off stuff like "I'm about to graduate from this college with this degree yada yada".   Answer Question

got a full time offer elsewhere

Underwriter Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Symetra.

Easy going interview. Random percentage question. Relaxed managers. Managers were young and you an tell they love their job. They were looking for someone who shows experience in the field.

Project Manager Interview

Initial phone screen with internal HR recruiter then in person meeting with Hiring Manager and VP. Very nice folks. Approach to put candidates at ease, not scare them off.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time a project didn't go right and what you did about it.   View Answer

Temp Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Symetra.

Came in for a short 15 minute interview in Bellevue office. Interviewed by two and was just pretty straightforward about what I was interested in. They were really looking for someone that could start quickly and was interested in learning.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Symetra.

It was a phone interview and they just ask me for visa status. Also ask your research on their company and your understanding about this position.

Customer Service Representative IV Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Symetra.

Initial phone screening, in person interview with two unit managers, call back to sit with employees, offer, acceptance.

IT Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Symetra in March 2014.

Applied both on campus and online. Brief phone interview and an on campus interview with two current Symetra employees. The interview was more so a conversation. Very relaxed and easy going. Then there was an online technical test. Hard to say how much emphasis they place on it, since I don't know how well I did.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult client.   Answer Question

Operations Unit Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Symetra in March 2014.

I recently applied for a manager position after working with the company for 8 years. I had standard questions...why do you want the position, why now, what is your experience and how did your form job provide the experience. I had 3 back to back interviews - all easy going.

Interview Questions
    • Name a difficult situation that you resolved from your last management position in 1987. It was so long ago I couldn't remember a specific incident.   View Answer

Unit Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enfield, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enfield, CT

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Symetra in February 2014.

Very in-depth and thorough. Word of mouth has landed us a lot of qualified candidates. People should apply and come in for an interview to see if they like what we have to offer.

Very easy.