Synacor Interview Questions

Project Manager Interview

Interview

Went through two interviews, only because one person was busy at the time of the first interview. The person responsible for hiring said they'd want someone who fit my credentials (nontraditional in comparison to others in the same role) and "see what happens."

Interview Questions

• Describe a chaotic situation at work you found yourself in, how you resolved it, and what you learned (rookie interview question.)   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Synacor (Buffalo, NY).

Interview

Average - applied online, phone interview, in-person interview, etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did have to challenge their offer. Do your research. Back your request up with numbers.

NOC Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Synacor.

Interview

Very straightforward interview with lots of technical questions regarding the type of work that NOC operator would be doing. Covered topics such as DNS, IP, TCP, SMTP, SSH, etc.

Product Manager Interview

Interview

I have interviewed at several places but this was one of the worst interviews I have ever had. The HR is probably the worst team i have worked with. I was enthusiastic about the role and the organization to start with. Thanks to the horrible interview experience I decided to withdraw myself. If they cannot make a good impression with a job seeker, I am quite worried about how would they take care of their employees. The technical team seemed good. But again, everything about this company seems like a mystery.

Interview Questions

The way the handled the entire process deserves an oscar.

Senior Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Synacor (Buffalo, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

Applied online and talked to a recruiter for general screening. Next round was technical round with PM. I was told that they will get back to me in a week. I followed after 10 days to know that the person who interviewed me left the company but has left positive feedback for me based on which a face to face interview was scheduled. I traveled to Buffalo office and interviewed for 4 hours with 3 different teams (dev, QA etc) Last interview was with the a person from executive team on Skype as he was at Boston location that day. He seemed to be a bit of unprofessional and had expectations which were different than mentioned by other interviewers or JD. They conducted my background check and gave me an offer which was same as what I was already making. When I brought this up they said that is all they can offer me. I was surprised because their background check questionnaire had a question regarding my current package. Anyways I declined the offer

Interview Questions

• It was a little technical and a lot about what I have worked in past on.   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Synacor (Buffalo, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

Initial contact was via LinkedIn. Followed by a phone screening with HR. Then, was scheduled for an in person interview. The in-person interview was a round of one-on-one interviews, and panel interviews. Interviewed with a total of 9 people. Mostly a personality interview, with some technical questions. Got a small tour of the office, as I was moving from office to office for the interviews. Also, met with multiple teams, and not just the one I would be working with.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult. Some whiteboarding, and a small written test. Hardest was a whiteboard scripting task.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Didn't need to negotiate. Pay and benefits was commensurate with market par. Benefits even put it slightly above market par.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Synacor (Buffalo, NY).

Interview

Phone call with HR first. Online, timed programming questions. Moved to onsite interviews with four scheduled during the day. Of those four, two were tech related interviews that required white boarding.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Synacor.

Interview

Everything asked was from my resume .. nothing from outside.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Synacor (Buffalo, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

email requesting to contact HR agent -> general phone interview, in which you are to describe, in moderate detail, your technical background -> 1:1 interview with a lead developer. Tip to my fellow man... Don't apply unless you have a thorough understanding of Object Oriented Computing. Don't bother learning all of the subtle nuances and built in functions of PHP, rather, focus on the core aspects of the language that make it a powerful and viable option in high volume web applications.

Interview Questions

• It was a while ago, but it had to do with OO design patterns, I   Answer Question

Email Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Synacor (Buffalo, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

The way events unfolded with Synacor was absolutely astonishing. I did a preliminary phone interview, then a phone interview with two of the senior technicians. At which point they decided to fly me out to their Buffalo, NY location. I went in for an interview and wound up interviewing with ~10 people in a 3.5 hour block, which was not an easy thing. The last hour or so of my interview was only with the two senior techs that I initially interviewed on the phone with. They asked a few questions regarding definitions of things; some of which I didn't know. At the end of the interview, the HR rep said that I should hear something by Wednesday the 25th (I interviewed on January 20th, 2012). It is now February 28th and I have yet to hear anything. I've emailed and called several times in an attempt to get a response and all I can surmise is that the HR rep is blatantly ignoring my calls and emails.