Synacor Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 12, 2014
19 interviews

Platform Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Synacor in November 2010.

I met with two separate groups during the interview. The first group interview consisted of three employees (junior?) and lasted approximately 30 minutes. The group asked random questions that either made no practical sense and they stated they were unsure of the answer. Two of the interviewers seemed very new at interviewing based on their professionalism.

The second group consisted of senior/manager level employees. These employees were respectful and professional throughout the interview process. I answered all of the questions in the interview correctly.

Senior Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Synacor in April 2013.

Applied online and talked to a recruiter for general screening.
    Next round was technical round with PM. I was told that they will get back to me in a week. I followed after 10 days to know that the person who interviewed me left the company but has left positive feedback for me based on which a face to face interview was scheduled.

I traveled to Buffalo office and interviewed for 4 hours with 3 different teams (dev, QA etc) Last interview was with the a person from executive team on Skype as he was at Boston location that day.
    He seemed to be a bit of unprofessional and had expectations which were different than mentioned by other interviewers or JD.

They conducted my background check and gave me an offer which was same as what I was already making. When I brought this up they said that is all they can offer me. I was surprised because their background check questionnaire had a question regarding my current package. Anyways I declined the offer

Interview Questions
    • It was a little technical and a lot about what I have worked in past on.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Went through two interviews, only because one person was busy at the time of the first interview. The person responsible for hiring said they'd want someone who fit my credentials (nontraditional in comparison to others in the same role) and "see what happens."

Interview Questions
    • Describe a chaotic situation at work you found yourself in, how you resolved it, and what you learned (rookie interview question.)   Answer Question

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Synacor.

Average - applied online, phone interview, in-person interview, etc.

Interview Questions
    I did have to challenge their offer. Do your research. Back your request up with numbers.

NOC Operator Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Synacor.

Very straightforward interview with lots of technical questions regarding the type of work that NOC operator would be doing. Covered topics such as DNS, IP, TCP, SMTP, SSH, etc.

Product Manager Interview

I have interviewed at several places but this was one of the worst interviews I have ever had. The HR is probably the worst team i have worked with. I was enthusiastic about the role and the organization to start with. Thanks to the horrible interview experience I decided to withdraw myself. If they cannot make a good impression with a job seeker, I am quite worried about how would they take care of their employees.
    The technical team seemed good. But again, everything about this company seems like a mystery.

Interview Questions

The way the handled the entire process deserves an oscar.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Synacor in March 2013.

Initial contact was via LinkedIn. Followed by a phone screening with HR. Then, was scheduled for an in person interview.

The in-person interview was a round of one-on-one interviews, and panel interviews. Interviewed with a total of 9 people. Mostly a personality interview, with some technical questions.

Got a small tour of the office, as I was moving from office to office for the interviews. Also, met with multiple teams, and not just the one I would be working with.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult. Some whiteboarding, and a small written test. Hardest was a whiteboard scripting task.   View Answer
    Didn't need to negotiate. Pay and benefits was commensurate with market par. Benefits even put it slightly above market par.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Synacor.

Phone call with HR first. Online, timed programming questions.
    Moved to onsite interviews with four scheduled during the day.
    Of those four, two were tech related interviews that required white boarding.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Synacor.

Everything asked was from my resume .. nothing from outside.

Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Synacor in March 2012.

email requesting to contact HR agent -> general phone interview, in which you are to describe, in moderate detail, your technical background -> 1:1 interview with a lead developer. Tip to my fellow man... Don't apply unless you have a thorough understanding of Object Oriented Computing. Don't bother learning all of the subtle nuances and built in functions of PHP, rather, focus on the core aspects of the language that make it a powerful and viable option in high volume web applications.

Interview Questions
    • It was a while ago, but it had to do with OO design patterns, I   Answer Question

Worked for Synacor? Contribute to the Community!