Synaptics

Synaptics Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

Product Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Synaptics.

After applying via a website I was contacted by an HR rep who scheduled an initial phone interview, followed by 3 seperate phone interviews, then 3 in person interviews. These phone interviews might not be mandatory, but I was out of state. Make sure you know the technical side of how the technology works, even on a basic level.

Interview Questions
    • How do Touch Sensors work, and how is our product differentiated from others in the industry   Answer Question
    They sent me an offer letter via email a day or two after my in person interviews.

Firmware Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

interviewed at Synaptics in May 2014.

I was directly contacted by hiring manager and I had only one phone interview for 45 minutes, I was asked about volatile variable, my resume, my academic projects, basic pointer and array related questions for C programming. I was pretty confident about my answers. I received the offer the following week. I negotiated for the offer and they accepted my offer.

IC Layout Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Synaptics in October 2013.

I have had two rounds of interview. One is on career fair, the second time is on-site interview with two groups and 6 people interview for 3-hour. There are quiz and fundamental question to be answered in the interview.

I was offered the job after 1 week. I have to wait my CPT start.

Firmware Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Synaptics.

HR phone screening followed by Phone call with the Hiring manager. I was all in for the an onsite interview with 4 people with good technical skill set.
    Interview questions were on C(Volatile/Static/Bit manipulation). Algorithms for Array sorry and was asked to optimize for memory & speed. I2C related questions

Interview Questions
    • Algorithms for Array sorry and was asked to optimize for memory & speed   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Synaptics.

Met on Wednesday at 10:30 to 1:30 (No lunch). Resumed on Thursday at 3:30 until 5:30. Two weeks later no results.

Interview Questions
    • Who do you know in Taiwan I should know to do my job?   View Answer

Systems Architect Interview

interviewed at Synaptics in May 2013.

Hiring manager called for a phone screening. I was asked to present a topic which was followed by 5 interviews each with 2 people.

Interview Questions
    • op amps and CMOS inverters. Many different subjects were touched.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Synaptics in April 2013.

Got a cold call from a Synaptics recruiter who set me up with two technical phone interviews. Pretty typical questions you would get for firmware: describe threads, task schedulers, interrupts, semaphores, watchdog timers and their use cases.

The two technical interviews led to an on-site review. This was an all day interview which included lunch, and I met with seven people who were going to be part of the team I worked with. Questions included writing C code for bit manipulations, drawing digital circuits, and how a boot loader works. Explaining the trade off between I2C and SPI was another question.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was when one of the interviewers asked me what my ethnicity and age was. It didn't offend me and I brushed it off because the guy was young so it was probably his first time conducting an interview, but it was definitely in poor taste. I hope HR sees this and instills some guidance for the young engineers that are interviewing.   Answer Question

The majority of the interviewers were welcoming and very humble, but a couple were condescending during the 1:1 on-site which left a bad impression. The two I mentioned seemed like the engineers I would be working with, so I decided to decline when the offer came in.

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Synaptics in January 2013.

I met the Synaptics recruiting team at a career fair and was interviewed the following day. Waited 5 weeks for a response, and I sent a follow up email. Within two days, I was contacted for a phone interview, was then contacted 2 weeks after with an offer for the internship.

Interview Questions
    • 12C comm. protocol. Didn't know about it, but asked to learn more about it.   Answer Question
    • C programming questions (what does volatile mean, a sample C function to step through, maximum number of dimensions an array can have)   Answer Question
    Didn't try to negotiate, was fine with hourly rate they offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Synaptics in September 2011.

I was referred by my friend , recruiter contacted understood the situation and scheduled phone interview after 2 weeks . Had a phone interview where I was asked questions on RS232,SPI, data memory allignment, USB, RTOS . I thought that it did not go well but hiring manager had said in the end that we do not expect every one to know everything and then came to know through recruiter that HM recommended me for onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • what is data memory allignment ?   Answer Question
    • explaing priority inversion ? how to solve and then question regarding priority inheritance - how to implement?   Answer Question
    • state difference between SPI , I2C . Describe your work experience   Answer Question

got another offer and this was slow process and still waiting to hear for promised onsite interviews as they said there is no open entry level position and I should wait

Senior Systems Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Synaptics in April 2011.

- The interviewers were all fairly smart. This isn't common for most companies.
    - I was always treated with full respect. The interviewers, even though all smart, treated my answers as correct by default and though how they themselves could also be equally wrong if their opinion were different. At most places, the interviewers generally consider themselves to be smarter and behave as if the candidate is dumb whenever their opinion does not match that of the candidate.
    - A full day of generally deeply technical interviews, yet a lot of fun.
    - Two interviewers for each session. All were very honest and honestly trying to hire good candidates for the position.
    - Interview level would be difficult for most candidates though was mostly easy for me