Syncsort Interview Questions

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Syncsort.

Applied from school, one on campus interview, one on-site interview. The latter one took one day long
    The whole process was well scheduled, and candidate will have lunch with employees. As others have already indicated, they asked many things during the interview, but none of them is too deep in theory.

Interview Questions
    • How to handle data with two data sets using hadoop, given one is super huge and one is super small.   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Syncsort.

One day interview for a couple with hours going through 6-7 people (group leader, managers, director). Received an offer the same day from the recruiter. It was a pleasant experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult. It was pretty relaxed since I came from a competitor so they knew I had the background already. It was more of a personality assessment.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Syncsort in September 2013.

Take 2 to 3 weeks. Depends on how many competitive candidates are on the process simultaneously

Interview Questions
    • Algorithm for the situation the interviewer gives you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Woodcliff Lake, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Syncsort in December 2012.

one on-campus and one on-site
    concept questions for on-campus interview
    different questions including both hardware and software for on-site( computer architecture, algorithms, OOP design)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Syncsort in August 2010.

Two phone interviews then a Friday AM in-office interview. Interviewers included managers, architects, department VP, and a couple of coworkers who were working on the type of jobs that you are applying for. They were very nice people, and the interview even included a lunch interview session. Not really a technical interview but it may already change with new management this year.

Interview Questions
    • How did you overcome conflicts with coworkers?   Answer Question
    • Describe the architecture of the project that you had worked on.   Answer Question
    Very smooth. They won't pay you like NYC but given their less-demanding work hours should be a good fit for folks who need work-life balance.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Syncsort in March 2010.

Phone then 2 face to face interviews.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Syncsort in December 2009.

Full day interviews
    About 5-6 interviews. Each lasts for about an hour.
    They have been asking the Same questions for atleast the last 3 years
    They will cover full breadth of Computer Science. You will be expected to know most of the fundamental concepts of Computer Science like - OS, Indexing in Databases, Algorithms, Computer Architecture, finite automatas. Nothing will be too much in detail. They probably want to see if you know a bit of everything.

Interview Questions
    • Use a TRIE to search a substring in a list of Strings - Don't remember exactly.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate, but its worth a shot. I have heard they are not too staunch on their offer.

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Syncsort in November 2009.

Syncsort is a careful company who is selective. You'll see 5 or more company representatives before you are thru the process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation or role in your career in which you failed.   Answer Question

Software Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Syncsort in January 2009.

An impressive number of interviewers preceded an offer letter. There were 2 phone interviews, one which was highly technical. Then having 6 in-person interviews with at least 3 oral technical quizzes. The process itself wasn't intimidating but the length of it was a surprise. Luckily, their decision came very quickly and an offer letter meeting my expectations was extended.

Interview Questions
    • Please design a enterprise level storage system with redundancy, here's a piece of paper.   Answer Question
    It was very useful to have another offer outside Syncsort to be able to assist during negotiations. The offer was upped to meet my expectations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodcliff Lake, NJ

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Syncsort in January 2007.

Interview process was cool, initially I had a phone interview then I visited their office in Woodcliff Lake for the interview and got the job offer after couple of days.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the scenario when you were under tremendous pressure.   View Answer
    They won't give you a a chance to negotiate the salary.