Syngenta Crop Protection

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Formulation Chemist 2-5 Interview

Greensboro, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Syngenta Crop Protection in November 2012.

Interview Details – There was an online submission form for the job, followed by a phone interview which lasted approximately 45 minutes. Within two weeks they asked my availability for an on site interview. I met with four pairs of managers for one hour per session, which consisted of behavioral questions, a one hour presentation of my previous work, and a tour of my prospective workplace.

Interview Question – Be prepared to talk about difficulties, failures, and especially how you dealt with them. The questions were exclusively behavioral.   Answer Question

Technical Expert Interview

Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Syngenta Crop Protection.

Interview Details – Had an initial phone interview with a recruiter who was interested in learning about my resume and fit for the position. She phoned a few days later to say that I was have a 2nd phone interview with the hiring manager. This was a technical based interview where they were interested in my experiences and how it prepared me for the position of interest. Because of the holiday season, there was a delay in my being invited for an in-person interview, but they did email to let me know that this would be happening. At the campus interview, I was required to give a 40 minute presentation to the team that I would be joining highlighting my education and experiences as they relate to the position. They were specifically interested in what I could bring to the team. This was followed by an all day interview schedule with 2 members of the team at a time, all asking probing behavioral type questions: Tell me about a time you failed to meet a deadline, how did you handle it? What were the consequences etc.

Interview Questions

• If we had to talk to the people that you directly/indirectly supervise, what do you think they would say about you? What adjectives might they use to describe you and can you give some specific examples of the types of interactions you've had with them.   Answer Question
  • What tools and technologies do you use to help you accomplish your daily tasks?
    Were the systems that were already in place adequate? If you needed to make changes, why would this have been necessary? How did you go about introducing the changes?
      Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult co-worker, What was the situation, who was involved, what specifically was your role, what was the outcome?   Answer Question
  • Looking back on the last couple of years in your current role, have you had a n opportunity to reflect on your career? If so, what changes would you have made, and in what particular circumstances?   Answer Question

Business Process Analyst Interview

Business Process Analyst
Greensboro, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Syngenta Crop Protection in August 2012.

Interview Details – Since I am a contractor I went through and agency that spend almost an hour going through my resume and other related experience that may not have shown on my resume. We discussed the role, the contract terms, compensation, and accomodations since this was a traveling role due to my home location. Had a 20 to 30 minute phone interview with the client company, Syngenta in the morning. There were 3 or 4 people, all Sr. Managers,. Offered the job in the afternoon.

Interview Question – There were no really difficult questions as my experience allowed me to easily respond to the questions. The main question that would probably eb difficult for most is how do you handle the challenges of a culture of resistance to change.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated up front with teh contracting agency. The client accepted with no negotiation.

Intern Interview

Greensboro, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Syngenta Crop Protection in June 2009.

Interview Details – First a behavioral phone interview and an inventory of current skill set with MS Office (incl. Project/Visio). Then, came in for a face to face interview with various department members. They ask straightforward questions about your experience and your personality. Nothing tricky here, strengths/weaknesses/most challenging thing about college/etc. Try and connect with them using personality and friendliness (while maintaining a professional demeanor.). They appreciate dedication and communication skills above all else.

Interview Question – What are 5 words that aptly describe you?   View Answer

IS Project Manager Interview

Basel (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Syngenta Crop Protection in April 2011.

Interview Details – Very extensive, 5-6 round for the IS graduate program

Interview Question – More focused on technical side   Answer Question

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Regional Sales Manager
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Syngenta Crop Protection in November 2010.

Interview Details – 3 interviews ( Head, Marketing, HR)

Formulation Chemist (Graduate Level) Interview

Bracknell, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Syngenta Crop Protection in July 2013.

Interview Details – I started off by sending in a covering letter and CV (having spoke to the hiring staff, if the covering letters are not tailored to the job, they will throw it out!).

After that I had a panel phone interview. One person spoke and one person took notes (sometimes briefly spoke too). This was fairly simple, they wanted to know why formulation, what I think the formulation role involves, where I want to be in 5-10 years time, what my salary expectations are (I didn't give a number; I said I was happy with the range they offered and if I was to be accepted then we could come to an arrangement as it was not of primary importance to me). They also asked some competency questions e.g. tell me about a time when you used your scientific knowledge to solve a problem.

The interview process was two day. The first day was a presentation about the company & the job by 2 line managers followed by dinner with them and a group of candidates. Its very informal and relaxed, so you have nothing to worry about here!

The next day was 3 interviews and a tour of the facility. There was 1 competency, 1 scientific situational and 1 technical. For competency and scientific they give you the questions initially and you have 10 mins to plan answers. This is a very unique method that I have not come across, and I was very happy they did this! You really need to have examples of when you worked as a team, when you have been scientifically creative, times you have worked by yourself etc. A degree in chemistry should prepare you with the experiences to answer these questions, so make sure you go through you university and professional career before hand and find out where you have shown certain skills, and be prepared to discuss these IN DETAIL.

The technical interview was quite strange and nerve racking. It's not really something you can prepare for in my view, it really tests your knowledge, and if you don't know something it tests how your mind goes about solving a problem. There are questions about chemical properties of agrochemicals, but if you know your basic science you should be fine. I would recommend going through year 1 and 2 general and physical chemistry stuff. Don't waste your time looking into specific and difficult chemical theories because they won't ask (e.g. spectroscopy, transition state theory, statistical thermodynamics etc.). There is a question regarding colloids, so if you haven't done this before, find out information about colloids, how they are used in industry etc. Wikipedia page will not be enough! Make sure you look into coagulation and flocculation etc.

After this, lunch and the tour, they send you in a taxi away!

Overall, the experience is very positive, fairly relaxed, and I think this is very indicative of the company atmosphere! But, the interviews, especially the ones at 9am, are very intense: you need to be on your best form! One person had 3 b2b interviews, 9-12, no rest time! If you don't sleep the night before make sure you get the coffees down you before you go!

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you wanted something done, spoke out in the group, but your advice wasn't taken.   Answer Question

Officer Production Interview

Panaji (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Syngenta Crop Protection in December 2009.

Interview Details – Three rounds of interview well held viz

*Technical Interview
*Personality Test
*Skill Test

Final Round of Interview was done with the Site Manager.

Interview Question – Achievement, so far in the career   Answer Question

Executive Compensation Interview

Basel (Switzerland)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Syngenta Crop Protection in September 2011.

Interview Details – A recruiter I had previously worked with set up the initial phone interview with the line manager. The manager's questions were very relevant for the post and there were very few general questions of the type that HR people ask who don't know about the specific job. The next day I got an invitation to fly to their office for future interviews a few weeks later. This meeting consisted of four one-hour face-to-face interviews: one HR general one and three with people familiar with the work. The last three also asked relevant questions. I also volunteered ideas that I had come up with in my very detailed preparations. Those preparations were apparent since I brought a stack of documents with me. A few days later I got the contract and signed.

Interview Questions

• Can we do this next questions in German?   View Answer
  • Describe a situation where you had to change your attitude towards something in your work.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I accepted their first offer which was at the low end of my stated expected range.

Process Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Syngenta Crop Protection in June 2009.

Interview Details – They asked on technical matters like pump, reactor but on basic.

Interview Question – What is the most risk in your life?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Syngenta Crop Protection? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Syngenta Crop Protection interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Syngenta Crop Protection employees and interview candidates.