Synopsys Intern Technical Interview Questions

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Synopsys (Durham, NC) in April 2014.

Interview

I met one of the Synopsys' representative at the NC State Spring Career, where he collected my resume. First round was a telephonic interview, which was somewhere around 2 months after the career fair. Telephonic interview consists of questions on C++/ OOPs Programming Concepts, Scripting (Perl/Unix), VLSI Design (LVS/DRC), ASIC Design (Verilog HDL/non-synthesizable operations) and some current projects related questions.
For a Computer Engineering graduate student, the telephonic interview was really simple and straightforward. After 1 week I got a call for on-site interview.
The on-site interview had 3 parts: 1) Presentation on an upcoming industry trend (topic was given 2 days prior to the interview). 2) Group/panel interview 3) 1-to-1 discussion.
The presentation was limited to 30 minutes. Simple concepts, both technical and non-technical were asked during the presentation. During the panel interview, the entire team reviewed the resume and asked some questions from the projects done or the work experience. Also, some fundamental technical questions from VLSI and ASIC design were asked. Next, 3 members of the team interviewed me on technical and behavioral skills, it lasted for about 30 minutes. Lastly, there was a small discussion on the kind of role and responsibilities with the head of the group.
The entire on-site interview process took about 90 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a Power Grid for an IC?

Since, I am not very thorough with the back end design flow of ICs I found it quite difficult.

1 Answer

Negotiation

If money is a big factor SNPS is not a great company to join as an intern, apart from that its a wonderful company.

Other Interview Reviews for Synopsys

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

One Phone interview - Regular basic verilog questions, Some OOP concepts, System Verilog questions - 40 min
    One Onsite with 3 people in the panel - Overview of all the projects and work expirences in the resume , Verilog questions in depth, System verilog questions in depth.

INTERN TECHNICAL Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

pipeline structure and Microprocessor architecture related questions.

basic digital design question and some verilog

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

The interview process was pretty relaxed. I was called up by the manager of the team that was interested in hiring me. There were two interviews, one by the manager and another by another senior member of the staff.
    They were basically interested in the work that I was doing under my professor. The interviews went well and I was given a call by the HR would told me that they were going to extend me the internship offer.

Technical Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Synopsys (Hyderābād (India)) in March 2012.

Interview

Had to go through a 3 stage interview process for an intern position.

first round :
    Was more on what I knew about digital design, few questions on adder/subtractor were thrown. Couple of questions on latches and flops.
    Detailed operation of transistor, with curves and v/i equations.

second round:
    was more on layout , was asked to draw layout of a mosfet, I was very comfortable here thanks to the interviewer, it was more like a discussion. fairly easy.

third round:
    I was asked on logical reason (kind of strange), then was asked to write a algorithm to draw a rectangle , then using this logic I was asked to draw layouts with varied shapes. This was fun, the interviewer more looking towards my approach than the correctness.

Finally , had an interview with HR , where I was told more on the internship details, policies etc.

Interview Questions

• I was well prepared with basics, the interview was for an intern position, did not find anything really difficult. Logical questions were unexpected, geometry basics :)   Answer Question