Synopsys Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2015

3.3

Technical Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Synopsys in May 2015.

Interview

Applied through employee referral. Was contacted by the team to schedule a phone interview. Was also contacted by HR about an hour after the phone interview to decide a tentative start date etc, although HR made it clear that the Manager was yet to make a hiring decision and would decide in a day or two.

Interview Questions

• Interview started off by asking me about my experience with Programming, What is the largest code you have written, etc. Questions were mostly software based-was quizzed on many basic software concepts for about an hour and VLSI basics for 10-15 minutes. C/C++: Imagine you have a program that takes in an integer input and you have to print out each digit using a function that can only print one char-how would you do it. Usual questions on Arrays, LinkedLists, Vectors, Hash tables-buckets; Identifying unique elements when using buckets. Questions on Trees-balanced, unbalanced trees, worst case complexity, Methods to balance trees:red-black and AVL trees. Questions on Graphs-Adjacency Lists, Adjacency Matrices. The difference between them and which one to use in what context. Questions on enumerated datatypes and typesorting. Questions about all of the sorting algorithms and which data structures to use to implement each of them, Worst case swap/comparison complexity in each case. Question on how qsort() is implemented in C and how it would sort Records of data. Questions on malloc, stack and heap. The difference between using malloc and declaring a fixed array. Questions on maps-when to use them, what is their advantage. VLSI-questions on latches/flipflops; Assign and always statements in verilog. Questions on Static CMOS and its advantages. Questions on the different types of power dissipation and methods to reduce each of them. Questions on Functions/Procedures/Tasks in Verilog.   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I got an e-mail 3 days after applying online requesting a phone conversation. I had a phone conversation with HR asking my salary expectations. I stated the number I saw on glassdoor 78-80k. She said that was too high and how about something in the 60k RANGE. I said ok something in the high end of that range. I had a second phone interview with the team I'd be working with. A week later I had the in person interview. Prior to the interview they have you fill out an application so they can do a background check. I had a 3.5 hour interview with the team and the VP I'd be supporting. They offered me tea or coffee but no snack (eat before you go). I met with the HR lady first. She immediately wanted to discuss numbers. At first she offered 60k and I said I had been making 10k more than that at my last job. She then jumped to 65k and i said that was closer to what I wanted but needed to learn more about the position before committing to a number. She then said 68k plus 3k bonus and I said that sounded about right but let me learn more about the position. After that I met everyone I'd be working with and supporting. The day after the interview they asked for my references to call and conducted a background check which took over a week. They called all my references. HR called me again and said they were prepared me make me an offer I'd be very happy with. A week later I got an offer, 60k. I countered with pointing out my previous salary, my education, and my years of experience and asked about the numbers we discussed when we met in person (the 68k+bonus). She denied ever having that discussion with me. My jaw nearly hit the ground. She said she would have never discussed numbers with me without approval. I was shocked and it was off putting. I asked for 65k and she said the best she could do is 62k. I asked about RSUs and sign on bonus. She said RSUs are for engineers only. She said she would see if she could get me a sign on bonus to "sweetin the pot". Her denial of ever having that conversation with me about numbers pretty much made me not want the job. Funny, because a week later she called me and told me they could not give me what I wanted and withdrew the job offer. I was relieved.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you can't stand at work? Something that drives you crazy.   1 Answer

The negotiations were shady

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through career fair. Initial phone call interview was scheduled for 45 mins. And then, I was called for an onsite interview. It was for around 5 hours. I enjoyed talking to every one during my interview.

R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Multiple rounds of F2F interviews in one day. Three in the morning, three in the afternoon. Interviewers are very friendly. Some questions about digital design are asked. However, a strong software development experience is more important. Parking is free as far as I know (not parking ticket given).

Interview Questions

• Data structures (linked lists, trees, hash tables, graphs), C++, and basic digital design questions.   Answer Question

Technical Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys in March 2015.

Interview

submit my resume online, got a phone call from HR 2 weeks later, arranges a web interview with technical manager, implemented some c++ functions in your own way, little talk about projects on my resume, get a feedback after two weeks. the pay is kinda low, no room for argue, room of growth limited according to some of my friends. No other option, decide to take the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys (Cincinnati, OH) in February 2015.

Interview

It was a 1 Hour long interview, mostly related to C++ as that was what the job involved. The person taking the interview was pretty cool but as this was my first ever interview, I was pretty nervous. Messed up bad because of that.

Interview Questions

• How do you detect a loop in a linked list, how do you convert stack to queue.   Answer Question

Tax Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Met first with my director. When he determined that I would be a fit, he had me scheduled to come back to do 1 on 1 interviews with other members of the team. Met with 4 people in a row. Not too stressful.

R&D Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synopsys in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online, and one day later, get the email to reserve a time for phone interview. One guy from the hiring group did interview with me. He first gave some introduction of the position. Then I introduced myself, my research areas, and went through my research project one by one. When I introduced my research projects, he asked some questions.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Synopsys.

Interview

Was very difficult process. Lots of technical questions.

Software R&D Engineer Interview

Interview

I submitted my application through their career portal and process took 1 month. Got a phone interview of about 2 hours, two rounds. First round about hardware and VLSI, second on software.