Synopsys Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2015

3.3

Senior CAE Interview

Interview

Interview will be very minimal, mostly Verilog+SystemVerilog+simulation+debug skills. Methodology will be an added advantage. Also having a protocol knowledge will be an advantage. Most importantly, communication skills.

Technical Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

One Phone interview - Regular basic verilog questions, Some OOP concepts, System Verilog questions - 40 min One Onsite with 3 people in the panel - Overview of all the projects and work expirences in the resume , Verilog questions in depth, System verilog questions in depth.

Senior R&D Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Synopsys (Durham, NC) in August 2013.

Interview

A friend forwarded my resume and a director called me about some positions that were opening. We talked for a bit one day and a few days later I had a phone screen with 4 different people lasting 15-20 min. each. Mostly just discussed stuff on my resume. I didn't hear anything for 3-4 weeks and then was asked to come down for an onsite interview. For the interview it started as a panel and I gave a presentation and went over details of my resume and then broke into round robin style for the rest of the day. It was mildly technical throughout, mostly just getting my opinions of different tools, coding styles, problem solving philosophies and stuff like that. Nothing overly difficult nor in some cases was there even a clear right answer. Every was very friendly, although a bit difficult to read initially. I did get positive feed back a day or two later from the hiring managers and he stated they wanted to interview a couple more people and decide the best role for me. About 2.5 weeks later I got an offer.

Interview Questions

• One of the interviewers did has me some tricky perl questions about the greediness of the .* operator when assign values to an array and about passing arrays to sub routines.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate the offer came in much higher than I expected, I did get some relocation benefit added due to a comparable offer having much better relocation benefit.

Senior CAE II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

2 days long interview process with diff teams

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not much

CAE-Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

The interview had 3 rounds (2 phone interviews and an onsite interview). I talked to the Hiring Manager over the phone for an hour in the first round where he asked me about my background and my experience. He was very impressed with me and passed me on to the 2nd round. In the 2nd round I got a call from a CAE manager in the Taiwan branch and it lasted for about 40 min which was a technical interview. I got an email after a couple of weeks saying that I was not selected for the onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the Physical Implementation of an IC?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

It's the normal full day, multiple technical interview process.

Interview Questions

• the questions were normal programming questions but a little tougher than the ones I've seen elsewhere. I don't remember a specific question   Answer Question

Negotiation

short window of a week but that satisfied my criteria.

R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

interviewed at Synopsys (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

They sent an email to let me know the details of the job requirement and position. We set up a time for the phone interview. The first round of phone interview was conducted by the team lead and went on for about 30 minutes. Then the second round of phone interview was scheduled within the next hour. This was conducted by two members of the team.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mostly programming related. I was asked to write codes over the phone, which was difficult for me, considering my hardware background.   Answer Question

Senior CAE I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Synopsys (Mountain View, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Got a phone call from a hiring manager who asked me to come interview for this position. I told him that I am only a recent graduate, and might not be a fit for this senior role upon reading the position description. He still insisted for me to come in. I came in after 2 business days, and we didn't even talk for more than 20 minutes before he admitted that this position was a bit too "senior" for me (as I have alluded to him in our first conversation), and he told me at the spot that he cannot move me forward. Even though it was a waste of my time, but at least he was polite and courteous during the duration of the full interview. I would suggest to their hiring manager to get better assessment skills for screening , since it was obvious that the specific hiring manager I talked to had difficulty weighing my skills over the phone, and believed I was a fit for this senior role.

Interview Questions

• Digital System Design Questions that required years of experiences to answer. I didn't even know how to begin to answer the question   Answer Question

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Interview

Give a SWOT analysis of Synopsys products. What were your roles dealing with the field, sales, customers, and management? Have you presented to large audiences before? What is the purpose of a roadmap a,d how do you create it?

Interview Questions

• How do you overcome objection to the technical merits if your product?   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Synopsys (San Jose, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted in 3 days ,was set up for a phone interview , that lasted 45 mins. After exchanging pleasantries , dove directly into the main topic of the position , Began with what are u looking to gain from this job position?

Interview Questions

• describe the essentials of a flip flop working   1 Answer