Synopsys Interview Questions & Reviews

3.3

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Synopsys in February 2008.

Standard 5 hours affair with a mix of programming related and domain specific questions.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Synopsys in August 2011.

It was a normal interview like any other company, not much special.

Not much

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Synopsys in May 2012.

The phone screen was light weight, just background check and so on. The onsite interview was a little bit more serious. The first talk was with 2 heads (one is the boss of the group and one is his boss). Both were pretty friendly without deep technical questions. Then there were 4 2-1 or 3-1 interviews, each 1 hour. Most were technical and some are tough. Covering algorithms / C++ knowledges / behavioral questions. I answered 80% of them.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Synopsys in May 2012.

The whole process is really smooth and efficient. I got an offer 3 days after the interview.
    I got a phone interview first which takes 30 minutes or so. Then I was told to go Mountain view to have a onsite. During that onsite, I met all people in that group.

Interview Questions
    not too much. Salary is pretty firm. But if they really want you, you definitely have a chance to play this game which is sort of dangerous because your offer may be withdrawn.

INTERN TECHNICAL Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Synopsys in April 2012.

pipeline structure and Microprocessor architecture related questions.

basic digital design question and some verilog

Release and Build Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Synopsys in November 2009.

Std. process in bay area - 1:1 interview with 4-5 team members on technical q's

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Synopsys in July 2011.

Interviewed in person with about 3 people. One of them was a manager, and 2 engineers. Interview with the engineers went well, but the manager, who also asked me to write programs, didn't quite seem to understand the code. He asked about writing a program to find out the endianess of a machine. When he wasn't sure about the function, he asked "how else can you find out". I said the endianess is also defined in one of the system header files. He then asked "which one?", to which I replied "i don't the exact one, but perhaps machine.h or something like that. A find/grep would take a minute or so." He didn't seem to like the answer, or perhaps wasn't sure himself. In any case, I felt he tried to continue to ask questions just to come to one that I wouldn't be able to answer. He was truly a bad interviewer. The other engineers who were more technical didn't appear to be this way.

Senior CAE II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Synopsys in May 2011.

First I had a phone interview, followed by a 1:1 with the hiring Manager.
    Then I was scheduled for an interview with 5 other people - one of whom was a team member, others from Marketing, Engineering etc.

Interview Questions
    • how can you report power? what is the difference between switching power & internal power?   Answer Question

Senior R&D Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillsboro, OR

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Synopsys in June 2009.

From HR folks to peer engineers and hiring managers, all the people involved were very polite and smart. Got an impression of being well taken care of.
    All the interview questions were reasonable and challenging.

Interview Questions
    • How to detect a loop in a linked list?   View Answer
    Compensation package is very simple. Judging by base salary is enough.

General Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Synopsys in April 2009.

Everything went well initially. Got screened by HR and quickly had in-person interviews with various team members. They called me and said they liked me and asked if I received any offers yet from other companies. Was expecting an offer. Then they dragged it out and gave some bogus excuse that they had a hiring freeze. In reality they hired someone else, who in my opinion was less qualified than me. I can accept not getting a job offer, but please be honest.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle balancing priorities when working in a cross-functional environment?   Answer Question