Synopsys

103 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior R&D Engineer Interview

Senior R&D Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at Synopsys in November 2007.

Interview Details – The interview was very comprehensive. I interviewed by 7 people including HR. Before the on-site interview there was a screening interview on the phone. The questions were related to the knowledge of the area/field as well as software engineering, algorithms, problem solving and data structures. The interviewees were very professional and respectful. The questions were not easy. The interviewees were willing to work with me on problems that I didn;t know answers to.I would describe the overall interview process as quite pleasant.

Interview Question – The most unexpected question was related to problem solving ability and it involved finding the termination condition for a problem where it initially seemed that we would require exhaustive enumeration of all the solutions. The problem was related to processing of items in a set such that each item had a value associated with it. After the processing, the value of the items could only improve.How would you find the maximum of the values after processing.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No. It seems unlikely that a fresh graduate would be able to negotiate given that the competition is not doing too well.

Senior Software Engineer I Interview

Senior Software Engineer I

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Synopsys in June 2014.

Interview Details – Got a direct call from the Technical panel, explaining to me the requirement they have, Followed by one Telephonic Discussion which is bainly focussed on my skill set, immediately followed by the onsite interview, Onsite interview is for the whole day comprising of 4 technical Rounds, followed by one HR interrview. Technical Discussion is mainly focussed on creative thinking, Problem solving and puzzles.
Area of focus was Data Structure and Algortihms, Debugging, Unix Internals and C Programming.

Onsite is followed by one more round of Telephonic Discussion from US Program Manager, it was also Technical Though.

Interview Question – Graphs questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Can't negotiate much, but i felt if would have negotiated i would have got some increment.

R&D Engineer II Interview

R&D Engineer II

Interviewed at Synopsys

Interview Details – Interview is basically done for Algorithms , Mathematical problems and Puzzles.
C++ and C are preferred languages.
Hr interview is not of higher priority , but it makes a count.

Interview Question – Brilliant people , Hence tricky questions are expected.
More on problems solving.
  Answer Question

Layout Designer Senior Interview

Layout Designer Senior
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Synopsys.

Interview Details – They do have aggressive interview process with 5+ rounds, and does lot of background check. A bit slow in process.
HR asks too many questions about your previous employments and Educational Background. They do reimburse your Travel expenses. Sometimes misses out on interview schedules.

Interview Question – HR interview is the toughest one.   View Answer

Senior CAD Engineer Interview

Senior CAD Engineer

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Synopsys in February 2014.

Interview Details – communication skills, attitude, aptitude, programming, tools experience, high expectations, creative thinking, thinking out of the box, confidence, maturity, interpersonal communication sills, analytical skills, debugging skills, convincing skills, in depth understanding on the subject,

Interview Question – tell us about your selves?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Before accepting the offer, negotiate! There is always a scope for more increment of salary.

Synopsys Interview

Synopsys

Interviewed at Synopsys

Interview Details – Conducted over the phone. It is casual and combines both technical and behavioral questions. Then it was followed by an HR interview also over the phone - mostly behavioral questions and also some background check. I think they are rather serious about background check - so give referees who can really speak good for you.

Interview Question – I think it is easy mostly if you have relevant experience - they are not looking for fresh anyway   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Applications Engineer
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Synopsys in August 2011.

Interview Details – Dont expect a very quick call as soon as you post your resume. HR is a bit not aggressive in following up on applicants. Interview generally is two phases-1. telephonic where one of the teammates(not manager generally) calls you up for initial screening as to whether you will suit to the role. Just fundamental questions and not too technical questions are asked. Then 2nd phase is direct/on-site interview with atleast 4 people interviewing you from hiring team(including reporting and technical manager) followed by HR round. If the candidate is selected, a quick back ground check and followed by not so quick offer letter will happen. Good luck!

Interview Question – Be sure about Fundamentals and everything you mention in your resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as they offer according to internal parity.

R&D Engineer II Interview

R&D Engineer II

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Synopsys.

Interview Details – Mostly hired are interns, unless they have an urgent requirement for seniors
Freshers from reputed colleges around Hyderabad (location of office) are preferred
Generic aptitude written test follows few rounds of interviews in the area of job

Negotiation Details – 5% more can be expected on initial amount

R&D Engineer Interview

R&D Engineer
Taipei (Taiwan)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Synopsys in April 2010.

Interview Details – CV review, phone interview, on-site presentation, technical test, remote presentation.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

R&D Engineer Interview

R&D Engineer
Santiago (Chile)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Synopsys in December 2013.

Interview Details – Tough and very technical interviews. They mostly want to know 2 things:
a) Your reasoning.
b) Your knowledge of programming, data structures and algorithms.
It is not critical to get the right answers as some problems can be tough, but at least show that you can reason and know the basics.
If you are aiming for an R&D I position, you should at least dominate:
- Basic data structures, their pros, cons and possible use case scenarios. Lists, stacks, binary trees and vectors mostly.
- C or C++ at a medium level. Pointers, receiving parameters by value or reference in functions, hopefully some Object Oriented knowledge (Classes).
- You must know time complexity of typical algorithms, like quick sort and searching in binary trees. You should also know how these basic algorithms work.

Useful tips:
- Having worked before (in or outside school) in a computer science project helps. You will probably be asked about previous projects and it helps if you revise your previous works to be able to explain them without missing the key points.
- Interviewers are very reasonable and technical people. Do NOT try to fool them with redundant answers or trying to make up answers that do not say much. It will only make you look bad. If you do not know something just say so.
- Try to take your time and reason on the problems they give you. Even if you don't get the answer, they will appreciate a logical thinking process.

Interview Question – Questions about hash functions using the memory address as key values.   View Answer