Synopsys

100 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior CAD Engineer Interview

Senior CAD Engineer

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Synopsys in February 2014.

Interview Details – communication skills, attitude, aptitude, programming, tools experience, high expectations, creative thinking, thinking out of the box, confidence, maturity, interpersonal communication sills, analytical skills, debugging skills, convincing skills, in depth understanding on the subject,

Interview Question – tell us about your selves?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Before accepting the offer, negotiate! There is always a scope for more increment of salary.

Synopsys Interview

Synopsys

Interviewed at Synopsys

Interview Details – Conducted over the phone. It is casual and combines both technical and behavioral questions. Then it was followed by an HR interview also over the phone - mostly behavioral questions and also some background check. I think they are rather serious about background check - so give referees who can really speak good for you.

Interview Question – I think it is easy mostly if you have relevant experience - they are not looking for fresh anyway   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Bangalore (India)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Synopsys in May 2014.

Interview Details – Initially i get the call directly from the tecchnical panel, explaining about the Job role they are looking for, He was very up to the point and very good person nature wise. First round is usually Telephonic discussion which will be around 30-45 minutes questions will be mostly fundamental of computer science, This interview will be followed by direct onsite interview which will be the whole day event around 4 round of interview including hiring manager who will also some technical problems. Which will be followed by HR Discussion

Interview Question – All the questions are of utmost quality, interviewers are friendly nature and giving hints while working on a problem.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Applications Engineer
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Synopsys in August 2011.

Interview Details – Dont expect a very quick call as soon as you post your resume. HR is a bit not aggressive in following up on applicants. Interview generally is two phases-1. telephonic where one of the teammates(not manager generally) calls you up for initial screening as to whether you will suit to the role. Just fundamental questions and not too technical questions are asked. Then 2nd phase is direct/on-site interview with atleast 4 people interviewing you from hiring team(including reporting and technical manager) followed by HR round. If the candidate is selected, a quick back ground check and followed by not so quick offer letter will happen. Good luck!

Interview Question – Be sure about Fundamentals and everything you mention in your resume.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as they offer according to internal parity.

R&D Engineer II Interview

R&D Engineer II

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Synopsys.

Interview Details – Mostly hired are interns, unless they have an urgent requirement for seniors
Freshers from reputed colleges around Hyderabad (location of office) are preferred
Generic aptitude written test follows few rounds of interviews in the area of job

Negotiation Details – 5% more can be expected on initial amount

Taipei (Taiwan)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Synopsys in April 2010.

Interview Details – CV review, phone interview, on-site presentation, technical test, remote presentation.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Santiago (Chile)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Synopsys in December 2013.

Interview Details – Tough and very technical interviews. They mostly want to know 2 things:
a) Your reasoning.
b) Your knowledge of programming, data structures and algorithms.
It is not critical to get the right answers as some problems can be tough, but at least show that you can reason and know the basics.
If you are aiming for an R&D I position, you should at least dominate:
- Basic data structures, their pros, cons and possible use case scenarios. Lists, stacks, binary trees and vectors mostly.
- C or C++ at a medium level. Pointers, receiving parameters by value or reference in functions, hopefully some Object Oriented knowledge (Classes).
- You must know time complexity of typical algorithms, like quick sort and searching in binary trees. You should also know how these basic algorithms work.

Useful tips:
- Having worked before (in or outside school) in a computer science project helps. You will probably be asked about previous projects and it helps if you revise your previous works to be able to explain them without missing the key points.
- Interviewers are very reasonable and technical people. Do NOT try to fool them with redundant answers or trying to make up answers that do not say much. It will only make you look bad. If you do not know something just say so.
- Try to take your time and reason on the problems they give you. Even if you don't get the answer, they will appreciate a logical thinking process.

Interview Question – Questions about hash functions using the memory address as key values.   View Answer

R & D Engineer Senior I Interview

R & D Engineer Senior I

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Synopsys.

Interview Details – Technical rounds are good. People are courteous and make you comfortable. 4 or 5 rounds of technical rounds followed by one HR round. Technical rounds mostly had puzzles, problem solving, design skills. HR round was pathetic the one who interviewed me was rude in the interview itself both with his attitude and body language. Almost decided not to join the company but my friend kept assuring me that it is a very good company to work for. Hence I joined.

Also watch out for interviewer with ineffective communication skills. Of the 6 people who interviewed me 2 of them had poor communication skills.

Interview Question – Given an array with positive and negative numbers how will you find the duplicates in O(n)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I had another offer so I didn't give a chance to HR to get an upper hand. Use your judgement and be fare throughout the negotiation. I asked the same salary the other offer gave and I got my wish. It is not just the HR, your hiring manager also has a say in your salary. Showing fairness rather than cutting a deal will create more lasting impression.

Wuhan, Hubei (China)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Synopsys in March 2013.

Interview Details – The position is based in Wuhan, a large city in central part of China. My resume was passes to the hiring manager through a friend of my colleague's friend. At the same time, I applied for this position at Synopsys's career website.

Very quickly (in < 2 weeks after passing the resume), I got a phone interview from the hiring manager. She was very nice during the whole interview, which lasted about one hour.

She first asked me regarding my experiences as per my résumé. Then she introduced Synopsys' ramp-up activities in Wuhan and the project (ARC processor) her team is working on. Finally she asked some technical questions.

Some of the questions she asked include :

• is synchronization necessary for a clock domain crossing from a slow clock to a fast clock?
• the principles of cache in computer architecture. What is associativity in cache?
• pros and cons of pipelining in microprocessor design
• AHB bus protocol. What's the difference btw AHB and AHB-lite?
• what's happening inside CPU hardware when CPU executes an instruction?

I was rejected after this first round of interview.

Interview Question – the principles of cache in computer architecture. What is associativity in cache?   Answer Question

Senior R&D Engineer II Interview

Senior R&D Engineer II

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Synopsys in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on-line, and was contacted about 2 weeks later. First 1 hour HR interview (standard HR questions: strengths/weaknesses, why Synopsys, why you, etc.), then 1 hour interview with a hiring manager. Then, on-site interview (~5 hours: 4 x 1 hour 1:1 or 1:2 meetings). Then, 3 x 1 hour phone interviews with senior R&D people. Finally, one more quick HR interview. A bit of a wringer, but overall a very positive process, as everyone was very friendly, helpful, and interesting to talk to. No complaints.

Interview Question – Some of the technical questions were quite challenging, however nothing unexpected. Make sure you're up and up on the technology for the group you're applying to. if you're coming from academia be prepared to discuss and present your research effectively.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was good enough that it did not require negotiations.