Synopsys

Relevance Date Difficulty

R&D Engineer Interview

R&D Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Synopsys in March 2014.

Interview Details – I gave a presentation before the interview, so the rest of the interview is mostly concerned with that. Also they try to relate the problems they try to solve with my research, quite comfortable conversation and nice people. Very basic programming question and everyone seems to be concerned with how many lines of code you have wrote.

Interview Question – Not a particular difficult one. Some of the problems they don't even know the answer, just show your logic of thinking, not necessarily the right result.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much to negotiate for a fresh graduate

R&D Engineer Interview

R&D Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I interviewed at Synopsys in March 2013.

Interview Details – They sent an email to let me know the details of the job requirement and position. We set up a time for the phone interview. The first round of phone interview was conducted by the team lead and went on for about 30 minutes. Then the second round of phone interview was scheduled within the next hour. This was conducted by two members of the team.

Interview Question – Questions were mostly programming related. I was asked to write codes over the phone, which was difficult for me, considering my hardware background.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Synopsys in August 2011.

Interview Details – It was a normal interview like any other company, not much special.

Negotiation Details – Not much

Release and Build Engineer Interview

Release and Build Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Synopsys in November 2009.

Interview Details – Std. process in bay area - 1:1 interview with 4-5 team members on technical q's

Interview Questions

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at Synopsys in July 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed in person with about 3 people. One of them was a manager, and 2 engineers. Interview with the engineers went well, but the manager, who also asked me to write programs, didn't quite seem to understand the code. He asked about writing a program to find out the endianess of a machine. When he wasn't sure about the function, he asked "how else can you find out". I said the endianess is also defined in one of the system header files. He then asked "which one?", to which I replied "i don't the exact one, but perhaps machine.h or something like that. A find/grep would take a minute or so." He didn't seem to like the answer, or perhaps wasn't sure himself. In any case, I felt he tried to continue to ask questions just to come to one that I wouldn't be able to answer. He was truly a bad interviewer. The other engineers who were more technical didn't appear to be this way.

Interview Question – Write a function to find the endianess of a machine.   Answer Question

Worked for Synopsys? Contribute to the Community!