Synthes Interview Questions

Updated May 1, 2015

3.3

Engineering Technician Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Synthes in November 2014.

Interview

during the interview with HR manager and department manager, interviewed come mostly your experience and interest in working, you are informed immediately of the advantages and you are complitly in your confortble situation

Interview Questions

• why I decided to change, what are my expectations, because I chose this company, what I expect to find   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes was possibile to negotiate

Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Synthes (West Chester, PA).

Interview

I interviewed at this company in West Chester, PA a number of years ago. Phone screen went really well but on site interview did not. In fact, the first couple of questions went poorly because the interviewer starting shifting his focus to Regulatory and wanted to know if I had experience in the medical device regulations in detail. I told him this wasn't my focus area prior (nor did it come up during the phone screen) but he clearly didn't care and I could tell I wasted my time. Hope their process has improved since then. Oh and I obviously didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Do you consider yourself an expert in design control regulations and can educate the company on this area?   Answer Question

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chester, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Synthes (West Chester, PA).

Interview

The interview process was very long. I met with five different engineers from Spine and Trauma, each for approximately 45 minutes. While speaking with Spine engineers, I was given some thinking challenges to see how well I could think outside the box for a very open ended question. I was tasked with listing as many solutions to the problem as possible within a minute. While interviewing with Trauma, I was shown more of what the engineers do and was able to ask more questions than with my Spine interviewers.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to list as many way as I could think to move two cylinders together without using my hands.   Answer Question

AREA SALES MANAGER Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Synthes (New York, NY).

Interview

After going through a recruiter, I met with the Regional Sales Manager. It was a solid, good interview. Good questions, asked my SAT score which was a first, typical "overcoming obstacles" questions, goals, etc. The I went out in the field with a rep to attend surgeries. The field experience is really an eye opener. Operating rooms are chaotic places and you are at the bottom of the barrel as an interviewee. Just observe, take notes, don't say much, keep inventory, obey orders, and absorb. For trauma sales, the reps are on call and it wears guys down. You can tell some of them are workaholics who make good money, but there's a tradeoff. After several ride-alongs there's a test and then a final interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked if I thought I've been successful up to that point in my career and life, to which I replied, yes. I was 26 at the time.   Answer Question

The nature of the job and the hours of being on call and limited in my freedoms was not attractive. The money was appealing, but nothing was guaranteed and there is high turnover in the industry.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Synthes (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2011.

Interview

Interview was disorganized, unpredictable regarding scheduling interviews, and unclear in terms of the manager's desired outcome. Redundant, demeaning questions were abound., e.g., "do you believe a strong work ethic is important:?" Why? The intermittent interviews lasted months with no certainty if the hiring manager would ever make a decision. If you apply, expect an unreasonably long interview process.

Interview Questions

• Do you believe a strong work ethic is important?   2 Answers

Grew tired of the manager's inability to state clearly what he wanted and whether he could decided if I was a good fit for the company.

Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monument, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Synthes (Monument, CO) in July 2011.

Interview

I had a very interactive and challenging interview with several senior personnel from key positions inside the department that I later joined. The interview material progressed from general knowledge through to advanced concepts in my field with plenty of hands-on assessments. The interviewers were obviously focused on landing the best candidate while filtering out the BS artists that stuff their resumes and fluff their way through average interviews.

The interview with the HR department was great. It came as a total surprise to me that my interviewer had actually been paying attention to our dialogue together and developed an empathetic perspective about my career and work-life objectives. My interviewer listened to my responses and detected my reservations about leaving my previous job - however carefully hidden beneath my confident posture. It's like she had read my mind! All of my questions and concerns were addressed there at that interview and I left with full confidence that I wanted this job - and that I would be a perfect fit. I marveled as I drove home and recounted the experience in my head, crossing my fingers.

The offer came the following week. The offer was generous and was precisely what I was hoping for. And the deal keeps getting better and better as I learn more about this remarkable company and about it's conventions. I've been welcomed by everyone on the team and quickly felt important in my role. It's obvious to me that Synthes is very serious about gathering the most talented employees in the industry and retaining them forever.

Interview Questions

• "What type of employee do you find it most difficult to work with? How did you overcome that?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation necessary.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Synthes (West Chester, PA) in March 2011.

Interview

Initial respsonse and follow up from HR and Recruiter was good. Set up phone interview via HR with the hiring Mgr.; Hiring Mgr. failed to appear and I had to call HR (after 1/2 hr) and re-confirm I had the correct time. Received call 15 min later from the Mgr. and had interview (& now I was not in best frame of mind). Interview went well, was told I'd be brought in the next week for 1:1; 2 weeks of no contact. Poor communication.

Interview Questions

• Do I have experience with CAD drawings?   1 Answer

Lead Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Synthes (West Chester, PA) in February 2011.

Interview

Interviewed with different hiring levels individually. All asked key words for the candidate to rate the response on a scale of 1 to 10. Noticed conflict in manager styles and requirements, which was a red flag for a candidate. One Manager required a Buyer to have full grasp of machining parts, for the lower level Manager, it was of no concern.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how a 5 axis CNC Machine operates?? Do you know the difference between a 4 and 5 axis CNC Machine??   1 Answer
    • Do you know what VSM, Kaizen, 5S are??   1 Answer

Project Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Synthes (West Chester, PA) in October 2010.

Interview

Phone interview with Director of Marketing lead to a group/panel interview in front of their Product Team followed by lunch with the Director of Marketing and individual interviews with members of the product team.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chester, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Synthes (West Chester, PA) in June 2009.

Interview

Met with 2 people from the company one was the group manager I was going to directly work for and the other was the recruiter. They asked questions on why i wanted to work there and what brought me to synthes. They also asked me how my skills would help me there. They interviewed me in a room with other people but it still remained one on one

Interview Questions

• What skills do you have that will help you succeed in this company?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation