Sysco

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Baraboo, WI

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Sysco in February 2011.

Interview Details – I was recruited away from a competitor where I was taking a lot of their business. I met with their sales director at a public location "just to talk." Then I had to go to the office to meet with the sales director and the vp of sales. I received an offer via email soon after.

Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Sysco in March 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring process was interesting. It took much more time than I thought it would. The right hand didn't seem to know what the left hand was doing. Interviewing process wasn't organized at all. They informed you that your interview would be at this time, but the interviewing time started roughly one and a half hours later. Wasn't sure if they knew what they were doing.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job? If I didn't want this job, why wouldn't even be here? Management couldn't tell me why they had such a large turn over in their sale force.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was a joke! I don't think they knew what they were doing. Your salary could be changed on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sysco in September 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted resume via CareerBuilder.com. 1st interview was with District Manager and two Marketing Associates I would be training with. Took about 1 hour. Was general interview. 2nd interview I had the VP of Sales & Marketing and the two Regional Managers. Took about 1 hour. Very intense. They want to make you shift in your seat for sure.

Interview Question – 2nd interview was very intimidating. They asked very specific questions about how I would handle certain scenarios and would evolve their questions from my answers. They def want to make you feel uncomfortable. I was told afterward that they wanted to see how you deal with high pressure situations, as how you handle it in the interview is most likely how you would handle it with an account. They are very interested in hearing that you want to build relationships & listen to what the customer wants.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations other than start date.

Jackson, MS

I applied online - interviewed at Sysco in January 2010.

Interview Details – 3 interviews total. Knowing the background of Sysco, and the market in which one is trying to work will help tremendously.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Sysco over other food distribution companies.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Sioux City, IA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Sysco in February 2010.

Interview Details – They were very quick and little detail. I was not even given enough true detail about what the job would entail.

Interview Question – Example of sales call you have had.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Black and White, Take it or Leave It

Salt Lake City, UT

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sysco in May 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was fine. It was the lack of communication that was frustrating. Calls and emails were not returned.

Interview Question – Can you sell me this pen?   Answer Question

Marketing Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Sysco in June 2010.

Interview Details – District Sales Manager called to set up interview a week after I sent in my resume. Filled out fairly long application when I first got to interview, Interviewed with the DSM and the Regional Sales Manager. They were both extremely nice and asked a lot of basic interview questions. The actual interview took about 45 minutes and then they had me complete a long personality test. Definitely plan on being at the interview for a total of almost 3 hours. The people definitely seem easy going but also hold their employees to a high standard which should be expected. Seems like a great company to work for.

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

Marketing Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Sysco in March 2010.

Interview Details – Very unprofessional. I met the District Manager at a business location and he mainly discussed the job. He asked no real questions from me.

$750 per week. No car, no fuel, no mileage, no cell phone. You are provided with laptop and aircard. You must make your salary ($750) per week in gross profit to even start collecting commission.

Interview Question – Do you have any questions for me?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It would be a pay cut for me.

Marketing Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Sysco in December 2009.

Interview Details – My initial communications with the company came from an existing employee who encouraged me to apply. After applying, I was contacted within 5-8 days via phone with a simple Q/A session. They stated the job description, job salary, requirements and expectations. I was then scheduled for the first of 2 interview sessions.

Each interview session consisted of 3, approximately 45 minutes to an hour interview with 3 different Sysco Senior Managers. Very casual in style we discussed my background and professional as well as personal goals. Almost every Senior Manager had a situational questionnaire booklet on the desk but out of the 6 total I spoke with, maybe only half actually used it.

While I was not offered the position - I was encouraged to apply again. I plan to do so as 2 of the Senior Managers I spoke with, made it a point to tell me that it took them several application attempts to land a job with Sysco. Very good experience. Looking back - I am glad I was not offered the job because now I know that they are very selective in who they hire. The other candidate just had more qualifications and experience - bottom line.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time in which you had to sell something difficult or unpopular to someone. What was the outcome?   View Answer

Worked for Sysco? Contribute to the Community!