Systems Evolution

Average Difficulty
45 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Staff Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Systems Evolution.

Interview Details – The interview process consists of 8-12 interviews, all of which are conducted over coffee, lunch, or happy hour which allows for a much more relaxed setting. Aside from one interview with the Managing Director, all other interviews are with various consultants within the company. I thoroughly enjoyed the interview process because it gave me plenty of time to leave the interview, think about the position and have additional opportunities to ask other questions I thought of. Throughout the interview process you can easily tell the employees there are happy and enjoy working for SEI and thoroughly support the company.

In addition, it was nice meeting 10 or so people prior to taking the job, that way at the first employee staff meeting it was not as awkward because I already knew so many people.

Meeting various consultants that had been with SEI for various amounts of time with all different backgrounds was also refreshing as I did not come from the consulting world.

Interview Question – I can't recall a question that completely caught me by surprise, all of the questions were justified - why I wanted to make the career change, why consulting, my future career goals, what I could contribute to the company, my career history, etc.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Systems Evolution in December 2013.

Interview Details – - I had an initial phone screen from the Cincinnati office. They asked me the standard interview questions: where have you worked before, what did you do there, why are you looking for something new, and why SEI? The interview was very conversational and easy going.
- I then met with the Managing Director who really dug into my experience and the roles I held at my various positions. He also explained the compensation structure and mentioned, that from his initial impressions, I seemed a good cultural fit for the company and I would proceed into "The Gauntlet". He also warned that the tough interviews were still ahead of me.
- Afterwards, I received several emails from the Cincinnati office asking for my availability. Some of the interview requests were on short notice (like same-day), but being near a rail line and close downtown, I had no issues with making it to the interviews.
- I had a total of 6 interviews in "The Gauntlet" and they were all incredibly easy going and conversational. The conversation would flow from questions on previous project work I've done, to theory on why I was doing that work (how my work fit into the overall goals of the project), back to when the interviewer faced a similar situation. Each interview felt like I was casually talking shop with a colleague, rather than a formal interviewer/interviewee setup. As the interviews went on, I noticed that the questions became a bit more technical and I could tell they were trying to vet if my resume matched my technical background and PM skills. Each interview was equal parts about me and equal parts about how SEI functions.
- Each interviewer was incredibly open to questions about SEI, its flat structure, and the expectations from its consultants. It really didn't feel like I could ask a "wrong or inappropriate question" about how SEI functioned. What I really liked is that the interviewers were genuinely enthusiastic about the SEI and the enthusiasm was infectious. After about interview four, I found myself excited about the possibility of getting an offer from SEI and hoped that it wasn't too good to be true.
- After my sixth Gauntlet interview, the Managing Director reached out to me about salary expectations. I had a standing offer so I had some room to negotiate, but the salary offered and agreed upon was fair (and very competitive).

Interview Question – Unexpected: Explain what OBIEE is to me in the simple terms.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Able to negotiate because I had a standing offer elsewhere.

Business and Technology Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Systems Evolution.

Interview Details – Interview process is very thorough, having anywhere from 8-10 interviews along the way. The purpose of the process is to first assess your skills, but most importantly if you are a fit to the culture and their model. The best way to get into the interview process is to be referred into the process.

Interview Question – There are many probing questions along the many interviews experienced by the candidate. The questions you get from one interview to another build upon the information provided in previous interviews, but after your skills are validated in the first few interviews, the focus turns to the fit of the candidate into the model and culture of the organization.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business and Technology Consultant

I applied through other source - interviewed at Systems Evolution in April 2014.

Interview Details – Amateur Hour - I was pursued on LinkedIn and invited to interview. My first phone interview was short and pleasant and I was passed on for additional interviews. After reading the company reviews, interview comments, and the company website I knew what was ahead of me. The second interview was disappointing and underwhelming, it was obvious there was no review of my background and the interviewer was listening to respond, not to understand. The third interview was pleasant, this interviewer clearly reviewed more of my background. I got the impression from all three interviews, this was clearly more staff augmentation type work rather than "consulting", a high paying "temp" job. There is virtually no on-boarding process (1 day) with this company. Appeared to offer a good work/life balance. All interviewers reiterated they were always hiring and looking for good candidates.

Interview Question – How do you motivate a project team?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Systems Evolution in August 2011.

Interview Details – It is a long thorough process. You will typically talk with 6 to 9 different people, most will actually be consultants you will eventually work. Be prepared to talk in detail about your experiences, decisions you have made and how you would handle a variety of hypothetical situations. Bring your A game.

Negotiation Details – It was very easy. I gave a number I needed to make a move and it was within the range SEI was willing to pay.

Business and Technology Consultant

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Systems Evolution in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the Managing Director twice indicating he liked my LinkedIn profile and wanted to meet with me regarding Systems Evolution. I was called by their home office and accepted a time for a phone call with the Managing Director.

When it came time for the call I was contacted by another consultant who indicated that there was a scheduling conflict and he would be talking to me. We had a nice conversation and I thought it ended well. He asked me if I would like to move forward and if I would be interested in meeting for coffee. I said I would and he told me I should be contacted by a scheduling person from the home office in the next few days.

After not hearing from someone after a few days i called the scheduling person back to make sure I had not missed a call or email from them. They said that they were just trying to grab time for the next week and coordinate the Managing Directors email and would contact me by the EOD of day or the next business day. The next business day received and email indicating they were not interested in moving forward.

My only issue is that there an indication that we will be moving forward and then a canned email informing me that my "application" was not moving forward. I did not apply, I was searched out with a certain amount of intensity. If they were not interested there should have been no discussion about coffee and my interest as well as the consultant saying "Well it sounds like you would be a good fit". I am sure they treat their employees better but my experience with them as a "recruit" was unprofessional.

Interview Question – Nothing stands out it was a simple conversation.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Systems Evolution in December 2013.

Interview Details – Systems Evolution's interview process is called "The Gauntlet", which would probably make someone very nervous going into the initial interview. But contrary to the name, I had a great interview experience. I had 6 interviews in total and attended a happy in hour in which I had the opportunity to speak to several other teammates from the company. Everyone I met was friendly and provided a lot of information about the company and particularly about the culture. Culture is a big deal at SEI and they want to make sure you're a fit, which explains the number of interviews. Additionally, they want to make sure SEI is a right fit for you as well as you for them. Everyone I met was so passionate about the company!

The interviews took place at various locations, depending on who you were interviewing with. For example, I had an interview over lunch and several at Starbucks. These neutral locations were great as it produced a calming effect for me, and it naturally facilitated conversations that were not always interview related (family, favorite foods, etc.) The interview period was over a span of 4 weeks or so, but it largely depends on your schedule syncing with theirs - it could be longer or shorter.

The Managing Director who gave me the offer is just a great guy - I could tell he was looking to be fair and equitable, not greedy and self serving.

All in all, I enjoyed this process! Because I had met so many people during the interview process, I did not feel like a "newbie" on my first day. I felt like I had already started building a relationship.

Interview Question – How would you manage scope of work change if you/your company did not already have a rigorous process in place?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was fair and equitable - a great experience!

Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source - interviewed at Systems Evolution in November 2013.

Interview Details – Such an enriching experience both professionally and personally, it was extensive and by that I mean there were several interviews all of which were unique in interview depth and with positive vibes about the company. I loved that synergy was a major focal point in the selection process.

Interview Question – How would I relate to a flat organization verses the corporate hierarchy   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was direct and very comfortable.

Vice President Interview

Vice President
Cincinnati, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Systems Evolution in January 2013.

Interview Details – As I was currently employed I had to jump through hoops to accommodate an expedited interview process that consisted of 5 phone interviews and 10 in person interviews in 2 cities, Atlanta and Cincinnati, over a couple weeks. The process, which the company refers to as the Gauntlet, was interesting. Essentially you spend an hour with several key stakeholders from the CEO to the administrative support and are exposed to many faces of the company. The interview questions were not difficult and in some cases there were no interview questions at all and I was expected to lead the interview. I had researched the company and had plenty of questions and many thoughts regarding the role, so this was not a problem. The process also included social activities with the team and the entire team was very welcoming and accommodating. The one negative to the process for me was the informality of the process. I was offered the position verbally, however, the offer was later rescinded over the phone for reasons that were not clear. The company is convinced there is no where better to work, which is an attribute to their culture, so if you don't immediately seem ecstatic when offered, the interpretation is that you are not a "fit". While this was strange, I believe things happen for a reason and perhaps it was not the best fit for me or the company. On the plus side, the people were great, the model and the culture seemed fantastic. I was not a fan of the CEO and ultimately that would have been a key relationship for the role.

Interview Question – No difficult questions but at time expected to lead the interview, so research and preparation are a key for success.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Systems Evolution.

Interview Details – I was contacted by an employee and invited to interview. I had a phone interview with several employees, all of which went very well. I then met in person with the Managing Director. He offered cryptic responses to my questions and clearly was not interested in getting to know me as a potential employee. His persona was very stoic...I can only guess this was an interview tactic to see how I would react. The entire interview was strange...left me with a negative impression of the company.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary...actually, he did not ask many questions at all   Answer Question

Worked for Systems Evolution? Contribute to the Community!