T-Mobile

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at T-Mobile in February 2008.

Interview Details – Phone interviews with recruiter, hiring manager and possible peer, then face to face with hiring manager.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – simple, but not flexible

Lagrange, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at T-Mobile in June 2010.

Interview Details – I first completed a phone interview with the HR consultant, which lasted about a half-hour. It was a comfortable interview that begin with a description of the job, followed by the usual questions about my education, employment background, and business skills. The HR consultant was polite and professional.

The next step was an on-site group interview with two of the company managers. I was asked to explain how my experience and skills would be a good fit for the open position, as I understood the requirements. Many of their questions focused on how I would manage difficult employees with performance problems, and I needed to provide real life examples of how I had dealt with performance problems in the past. These two interviewers seemed distracted and anxious to get the interview over with. I left with the impression that I had been given the “brush-off”.

Within the next week, I received a phone message from the HR consultant advising that I was not a good fit for the position, and they needed to keep looking. Just as well, I thought, since I perceived the two interviewers to be indicative of a broader morale problem within T-Mobile’s corporate culture.

A few weeks later, I received another call from the HR consultant who asked if I would interview with the Director of Operations, which was setup for the following week. The Director of Operations was personable and the consummate professional. The interview lasted about two hours and included the usual questions about my background and education. Many questions pertained to my knowledge of the company – their products, services, CEO, parent company, number of employees, history, business model, etc. Fortunately, I had researched the company on the internet and read their SEC filings.

Immediately after this interview, I was taken on a tour of the facility and given an opportunity to ask my own questions. During the tour, I was also asked about process controls, ISO requirements, six sigma methodologies, and assorted logistics questions.

The facility was generally neat and clean, although some areas of the warehouse were pretty cluttered. The shipping / receiving operation seemed to rely too heavily on manual processes, and I sensed that keeping accurate track of customer owned product could be problematic.

An additional three weeks past before I was contacted again by the HR consultant with an offer, which I declined.
Advice for others:
- Research the company before the interview; know their competitors, products, and services well
- Ask the HR rep a lot of questions about the job; the interviewers, and their personalities

Interview Question – How do correct poor performance issues ?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Salary, and a sense that this facility may have some serious management/ performance issues.

Management

The process took 4 months - interviewed at T-Mobile in September 2011.

Interview Details – After contacting a former supervisor who is a Regional Director he set me up with a interview with the Regional Recruiter and I had a 1 hour telephone interview. A few weeks later I followed up with the Recruiter who returned from vacation and a in-store interview was set up. At that interview I was told that if the background check was approved a meeting with the District Manager would be arranged shortly after. I was told that this process took 2-3 weeks normally and I followed up after a couple of weeks to see what were the results. The store manager I had interviewed with told me that I had passed the interview and that I should call stores in the area about openings. At this point I was completely confused. I had been told I would meet with the DM about placement and now I was told I was to cold call stores telling them I had passed the background check and would they like me to come in for another interview. I called the RD and the RC and they both assured me that this was a error and that T-Mobile does not operate in this manner. I have 25 years of retail experience, 11 years as a store manager and i was applying for a lower lever management position. At this point I was contacted by another store manager who arranged to meet me at a job fair at another T-Mobile location. I let the person who was in charge at the job fair know I was there to meet the contact and waited 4 hours only to be told that she never showed up. I spoke briefly to another District Manager who also apologized for the run around and unprofessional behavior I had received and went on to assure me that this would be rectified. I did not hear back from anyone so I called the person who did not show up to the job fair and she arranged another interview. The interview was on a bench in the middle of the mall and she was more concerned her losing her job if the merger between T-Mobile and AT and T went through. I was so frustrated I tried to contact the corporate office and received a very curt phone message from the original Regional Recruiter I had interviewed with stating that passing the background check was not a job offer and other unprofessional statements. So after 4 months, 5 interviews, and T-Mobile spending about $500 dollars to do a extensive background and credit check going back about 20 years the only thing that happened was that I learned that unprofessional behavior is tolerated and it stems from the top down.

Interview Question – How much severance pay did you receive at your last job?   Answer Question

Worked for T-Mobile? Contribute to the Community!