T-Mobile

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Analytics Manager Interview

Senior Analytics Manager
Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at T-Mobile in August 2012.

Interview Details – Met with 5 people individually.
Questions probed thought process, problem solving, creativity, values

Interview Question – Completed project most proud of and why   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little room for negotiation. They came in on the high end and were not trying to low-ball me.

Customer Service and Sales Representative Interview

Customer Service and Sales Representative
Bellingham, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at T-Mobile in December 2012.

Interview Details – -Applied online: Starts out standard enough, with basic info, experience, etc... After completing, you are prompted to complete a 'video-game' involving a virtual call-center interface with mock customer calls. After that, you are asked to complete an 'agree-disagree' personality assessments. In all, expect to spend about 1.5-2.5 hours in this part of the process.
-Call from HR agent: A light interview with a friendly (but somewhat insincerely-chirpy) person, after which an in-person interview is set up.
-Face-to-face: After checking through 'security' you will be prompted to listen to about 30 minutes of customer calls BEFORE you even speak to the interviewer. After a good 15 minutes of waiting, she finally makes it out to greet you. She wore a smile, but seemed rushed and insincere. Absolutely no pleasantries, she jumped straight into asking the same generic, asinine 'personality/ experience' questions that are asked at just about every corporate interview the world over! After answering several questions with very parallel answers, you are escorted to the security lobby and told to "expect a call or email in a day or two." A generic interview process for a generic company.

Interview Question – Frankly, I was not expecting to be asked "How do you solve a complex problem," "How do you deal with a stressful situation," and "What was a specific time you had a stressful situation," all consecutively. Why not present an unsolved problem and ask how it would be solved, rather than requesting I recall several experiences with the same outcome! I nearly left the interview at that point!   Answer Question

Technical Analyst Interview

Technical Analyst
Bothell, WA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at T-Mobile.

Interview Details – Phone Interview with Manager and Recruiter

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at T-Mobile in November 2012.

Interview Details – I had two rounds of interview for this role at T-Mobile, the first being with the recruiter who was nice but I think there was an opportunity for her to be more genuine. Her details of the role for me was very different from when I actually met the hiring manager. When I met the following two days with the hiring manager I thought he was rude and arrogant. Quite a strong opinion but it seem he was preoccupied with other work and trying to multi-task while trying to interview me the entire 45 minutes with him. It wasn't because there was no interest on his part, but rather a lack of focus and respect which tells you a lot about the type of manager he is.

I eventually spoke with about eight people at T-Mobile. Seven of the eight were intelligent, thoughtful, and great to talk with.

I didn't get the job and never got a call back.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Marketing Analytics Manager Interview

Marketing Analytics Manager
Bellevue, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at T-Mobile in November 2012.

Interview Details – I passed my resume to a T-Mobile employee at the career fair of a conference. Didn't hear back from him after two weeks so I sent a follow up email. He didn't ever reply back but in a few days someone from HR contacted me to schedule an interview. I talked with three people on the phone for 40-45 minutes. We went over my resume briefly. Afterwards, they had a case study question which took up the rest of the interview.

Interview Question – Say T-Mobile wants to give a $10 rebate to new subscribers. How would you evaluate this rebate's effectiveness?   Answer Question

Director of Engineering Interview

Director of Engineering
Bellevue, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at T-Mobile.

Interview Details – 1/2 day. panel and one-on-one. Pretty straight forward, they like to ask questions like, "tell me about a time you had to..." "tell me about a time when x didn't work out the way you planned"

Interview Question – Some people will try to pick apart your answers and push you a bit and try to get you to be defensive   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – take it or leave it

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager
Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at T-Mobile in January 2012.

Interview Details – Very quick process, and waiting time was minimal which is great when going thru the process.
Recruiter reached out initially, then Dept Mgr, then future peer group conducted final interview, decision made
Decided on start date, which was flexible, and signed offer letter

Interview Question – Some of the peer interviewers were not experienced in interviewing and struggled when asking some questions which made it difficult to follow.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – offer came in and I asked recruiter to go back and request more based on my experience and tenure at the level I was being considered for. Recruiter came back with approval.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst
Bellevue, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at T-Mobile in September 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter to schedule phone screening then invited for a series of interviews with hiring manager and various members of the team. Interviewed by hiring manager and 2 peers but never actually met the recruiter.

Interview Question – I was given a hypothetical case study and asked to answer it the best I could. They are looking for analytical reasoning skills to see how you approach problems rather than looking for a specific answer to the questions.   Answer Question

Any Interview

Any
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at T-Mobile in November 2008.

Interview Details – T-Mobile uses the STAR technique where a candidate is asked about a situation or task, the actions he/she took to resolve the situation or complete a task and what were the ultimate results. An example is "Tell me about a time when you had an important project to complete, but an urgent situation arose that threatened your successful completion of that project. How did you handle it and what was the outcome?" Or "We have all had difficult bosses to deal with in our careers. Tell me about a time you worked for a difficult boss. How did you handle that and how did that end up for you?

The interviewer is looking for a complete STAR where the candidate talks about a specific situation or tasks, the specific actions they took and the specific results or outcome. Without specifics, the candidate is being evasive or does not have the experience for the role. Neither is good. Candidates should practice answering STAR type questions (tons of them for reference are on-line) to be prepared to answer in that format in the screening interview. Once a candidate gets to the hiring manager, they may or may not stick with that format (either lazy or think they have a better process), but it is a good interview muscle to delevop.

Interview Question – If you truly have the experience and background for the role there are no curve ball questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – T-Mobile has a low-point, mid-point, and high-point on salary ranges to account for different experience levels for a particular job. Low can delta 20% below mid-point while high can be 20% higher than mid-point. That's all normal but think about it. If you accept an offer at the low point or somewhere near the low point, and deliver consistent rockstar performance, you will probably average a 5%-7% annual performance raise. Seldom will someone get approval to give a raise higher than that amount for a couple of reasons: Raises are typically a team budget that needs to average 3%. To give you a higher raise comes at someone else's expense. Secondly, there is always some jerk above your boss who gives final approval who thinks a raise bigger than he or she is getting is somehow wrong or they think you are good, but not that good. So say you get 5% every year, but inflation is historically averaging 3%. While you think you are closing in on your mid-point salary range and would get there is about 5 years, that mid-point goes up every year by 3%. It will take you over 10 years to almost catch up.

Ask in the interview what the mid-point range is for the job. If you get an offer at mid, you're in good shape. It also almost forces the hiring manager to bring you in at mid or justify why they are not because you are missing the education level, the industry experience or the management experience. Cannot express enough how important the salary negotiation is. If you settle for low initially, it could affect the compensation of every promotion you get within the company since many companies have a governor or cap differential from current compensation to the new role. T-Mobile was 20% unless the mid-point would not be reached and then they could bring you in at low-point...again.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Business Systems Analyst
Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at T-Mobile in July 2012.

Interview Details – Project manager was very warm wishing, interviewers were project manager and senior business systems analyst. Interview went for about 30 minutes f2f. Questions were more related to experience as business analyst and problems i faced as business analyst in the past projects. Definitely there were digging into my details on resume related to experience. Were looking for someone with certification as professional BA.

Interview Question – All were difficult as they were looking for more details.   Answer Question