TCF Bank

Relevance Date Difficulty

Branch Management Interview

Branch Management

Interviewed at TCF Bank

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was consistent with general industry protocol. Initial interviews were held on the telephone, subsequent interviews were done in person. The people interviewing were competent and utilized standard interviewing techniques during the entire process. The questions asked were inquisitive, after each interview I was contacted in a professional and timely manner as to my status and next steps necessary to further my securing the position.

Interview Question – All were standard   Answer Question

Teller I Interview

Teller I
Racine, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TCF Bank in July 2014.

Interview Details – One phone interview, two in person interviews. The phone interview and the first in-person interview were with the same person, then the second interview was with the branch manager at a different branch.

Interview Question – The questions were the usual, with nothing unexpected. Both interviewers asked me about situations where I dealt with a disgruntled or upset customer, and a situation in which I had to multitask, and how I felt about working under pressure.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I accepted the wage I was offered because of my lack of experience in the field.

Teller Interview

Teller
Savage, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TCF Bank in August 2013.

Interview Details – Spoke with management, HR, and coworkers. Everyone has to approve of.you. You have to prove that you are worthy and have opportunities to grow. Be prepared to talk about your achievements and how you handle stress under pressure

Interview Question – Stressed with selling experience and background.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was good for school.

Equipment Finance Intern Interview

Equipment Finance Intern

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TCF Bank in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted via phone after applying on their website. The interview was fairly easy, with only a few behavioral questions, and many questions about my interest in the specific department, and why I chose my majors. They told me that if I was chosen, they would schedule me an interview with some financial managers. I was not impressed with the fact that it took them almost a month to get back to me. I ended up having to call the HR department back myself, and they responded just by sending a rejection email rather than calling me. Overall, the interview was pretty basic, but a lack of communication after the interview made it really frustrating process.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in Equipment Finance? (I was caught off guard by this question since I didn't specifically know what the department was).   Answer Question

Operations Specialist Interview

Operations Specialist
Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TCF Bank.

Interview Details – The HR dept was quick, clear and accurate about the hiring process, I had to concerns about it.

Interview Question – There were no surprise questions, I've heard them all before, they are generic questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Assistant Sales Manager/Branch Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Sales Manager/Branch Assistant Manager

Interviewed at TCF Bank

Interview Details – Interviews are very sales focused. Must be confident and comfortable with selling face to face with customers. During interview manager will ask you different customer related questions. Like how would you deal with an unhappy customer and how would you cross sell products.

Interview Question – Selling. TCF takes a retail approach to banking meaning you must sell sell sell.   Answer Question

Part-time Teller Interview

Part-time Teller
Livonia, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TCF Bank in January 2014.

Interview Details – First you will interview with their human resource department and then if human resources likes you, you will then move on to be interviewed at the local branch.

Interview Question – This was very odd. While on my 2nd interview at the branch the two managers interviewing me asked to make believe I was a cashier at Office Depot and they were customers buying paper and now I had to sell them a pen. I was totally thrown off by this question, I don't do well adlibbing stuff.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Teller Interview

Teller
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at TCF Bank.

Interview Details – I had two interviews. The initial interview was given by a corporate office recruiter and the gentleman was very professional. He saw with my previous experience that I would be able to handle the amount of cash flow easily since I had worked at a race track handling a lot of money. The second interview was by the branch manager at the bank I would be working at. I waited 15 minutes for her to call me up. There were many customers waiting so I knew it would be a busy location. The most difficult question was "Why do you wish to work at this bank" because I do not think many people want to work at the lowest rated bank in a city. Also, answering "what are your weaknesses" is always difficult, but I try to answer by using a quality that sounds bad but can be good, such as being OCD (organizational). The hourly wage was quoted to me and I would recommend anyone going into this process to fight for a higher salary, at least asking for a dollar more.

Interview Question – "Why do you wish to work at (a mid-to-low level) this bank?" Please see above for more detail.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I would suggest others negotiate for a higher hourly wage or salary if applying at this bank, especially if they have experience. Otherwise, you will be waiting 6 months for a raise.

Branch Supervisor Interview

Branch Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at TCF Bank.

Interview Details – Standard questions

Interview Question – Listing a customer service issue that was resolved positively.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Branch Supervisor Interview

Branch Supervisor
Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at TCF Bank in March 2012.

Interview Details – Really Quick! Phone interview took place a couple days after application submittal. Personal interviews with a human resources representative and the branch manger took place on the same day after the interview. A position was offered on the spot and training began about a week later.

Interview Question – Sales pitch on the spot for a checking account.   Answer Question

Worked for TCF Bank? Contribute to the Community!