TD Ameritrade

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Client Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at TD Ameritrade in March 2013.

Standard interview, nothing out of the ordinary

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for TD Ameritrade

Client Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in February 2013.

After applying online the branch manager contacted me directly by phone a little over two weeks later, the delay in response being the result of the recruiter for that division recently leaving. It was a friendly, get-to-know-you type of conversation which segued into questions regarding my background, previous experience, qualifications, and whether I'd be a good fit to proceed further. That initial conversation went very well and landed me an invitation to come in and meet the branch manager in person.

The face time interview was conversational and very relaxed, as we went more in depth as to what I had handled in previous positions that would align with the requirements they had for the client service specialist. Everyday duties would consist of depositing checks, entering trades, imaging transfer paperwork to the back office and following through to make sure transfers were handled in a timely manner and no money was left behind, taking inbound calls, making outbound calls, coordinating client events on an as-needed basis, and handling client service issues (RMD's, beneficiary updates, account transactions), but the biggest target of the position was to take existing clients who came in for service items and leveraging the opportunity to sit them down with an investment consultant if their was a lucrative opportunity discovered. This meant being able to build relationships with their current clients and uncover opportunities for their six IC's to transition self-directed accounts over to managed accounts, this was the biggest part of the business development and 'keeps the lights on'.

The first interview went so well that I was told on the spot I would be contacted later that day to set up a time to come back and sit down with the investment consultants to make sure the personalities were a good fit and to get a better idea of what they would need. I received the call, set up a second interview, did the usual follow through with a thank-you letter and went in the next week to meet with two of the IC's.

The investment consultants had been there for a period of time, they spoke highly of the company, and I addressed questions such as 'how long have you been in sales, what interests you in this particular position, are you able to multi-task, handle processing requests, follow through, and can you drop everything to address a client who walks in, they are the number one priority', etc. Following that I was encouraged to ask my own questions. The person who vacated the position took a promotion within the company, which was encouraging that this could be a place where I could grow professionally.

Overall it was a great experience, I have no regrets, I gave it my all. The office environment is relaxed, conference room for client meetings is up front, nice lobby, ICs' offices are further back down the hall, and the size of the location is large enough where you don't get the feeling everyone is tripping over each other. The best impression I got is that the IC's are each assigned individually to be 'broker of the day', so referring investment opportunities won't leave you in a position to have to choose, it's fair, honest, very straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • "Your desk is going to be covered in paper, why would you want to do this?"   View Answer

Client Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in September 2012.

After applying for this position I was contacted by their HR Shared Services dept. The email communication went very well and I was given a time slot a few days later to interview with a recruiter. When the recruiter called he sounded very young and inexperienced. He had very little personality and asked me very basic interview questions that did not challenge me one bit. After a few minutes I felt as if I was the recruiter running the interview. I could hear the recruiter typing away on his keyboard and not being very engaged. The interview lasted about 20 minutes, but it felt like an hour. After the interview I sent a thank you email to the HR person that originally contacted me as the recruiter did not provide me with that information. Well as I figured I never heard back from the recruiter.