TD Ameritrade

Updated Nov 13, 2014

2.8

QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in September 2014.

long interview and asked the same question over and over again. The managers didn't know what to ask. It is very annyoing. Looks like they were killing times.long interview and it gets tiring at the end.i didn't like it.

Interview Questions
    • long interview and it gets tiring at the end.i didn't like it.   Answer Question
    very cheap on negotiation

Investment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in June 2012.

phone interview, follow by panel interview, and sometimes called back for 1:1
    TD likes the STAR format. Situation, time, action, and resolution. There are many different departments inside TD, but for any sales positions, be prepared to answer about your sales process, how you communicate, and be specific

Interview Questions
    • Prepare to answer specific questions about your sales process   View Answer
    none

Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in July 2014.

Attended open house. Applied for open position. Received initial phone interview from company recruiter. Successfully completed 2 online assessments. Held phone interview with 2 branch managers (even though I could have easily attended a personal interview with the Chicago branch manager since I work just blocks away).

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever made that much money before? I was asked this when I answered the initial question of "How much money do you need to make in a year?" and my answer was more than $100K.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at TD Ameritrade in January 2010.

Sales Key a Personality Test and quick check credit completed prior to interviews. Multiple interviews. They are very social organization that collaborates so want team players who share best practices. You have to be willing to share a great deal of your ideas.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had conflicting priorities. How did you decide what came first?   View Answer
    Some negotiation possible. If they want you they will do what they can within their limits.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in January 2010.

Contacted by a recruiter for a phone interview. From there, you set up a one on one interview with the recruiter. That interview consisted of conversation and some behavioral questions. After that interview, a personality test is sent and then a final interview is made with two hiring managers that includes background history and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were asked to break company policy. What did you do?   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate, everyone is on the same plan.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in April 2009.

The process was very lengthy and strenuous.

Having to fly to Ft. Worth and Omaha from Chicago to meet with upper management, and then waiting two weeks for an offer. Once the offer was accepted they expected you to drop everything and start immediately. If you were unable to start immediately the offer was pulled

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in June 2011.

The HR person talked over phone on a Friday and had telephonic technical interview for half an hour the Tuesday after that. Called for a face to face interview to the Jersey City the next week. After I went there they asked me about my salary expectations and the HR person got disappointed and they conducted a name sake interview for 1.30 hours by three persons each 30 minutes . It was a total disappointment and after I paid for air ticket. It seems there was communication between the HR Department at Nebraska and Jersey City office.

Interview Questions
    • If you pass null object to a method like simpleMethod(null) what would happen. simpleMethod is overridden like simpleMethod(String str) and simpleMethod(Date d)   View Answer

Branch Manager Interview

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in February 2010.

Multiple phone interviews. Initial phone screen with recruiter just to see if you are breathing, have licenses etc.

Face to face for finals. Hiring Branch Manager will always have a Regional Interviewer who will be set up as just another interview, but know that only finalists get this far and treat it as a go / no go interview, not an informational interview.

Mostly behavior based questions with a focus on coaching new associates to success, holding people accountable for goals etc.

Turnover is high among associates, so interviews will want proof that you can continually recruit and ramp up new associates. You will spend the majority of your time finding talent and trying to keep the pretty good beyond one year.

Interview Questions
    • People at your former firm have not been successful here at TDA. Can you explain why you would be successful here?   View Answer
    There is some room to move up on negotiations. When they make an offer, they may not have a solid alternative, so room to negotiate up an easy $5k.

Branch Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in January 2009.

Respectful. Multiple interviews from different perspectives.

Interview Questions
    • If you had a choice between being a successful sales manager or being well liked by your team, which would you choose and why?   View Answer
    Able to negotiate more. If they pick you, they want you so ask for reasonable amount more and they will work to consider

Senior Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at TD Ameritrade.

I was referred for consideration by a friend of a friend. The first interview with the individual currently in the role and the hiring manager was extremely cordial and proceeded to next steps. The next set of meetings were with the HR generalist and the hiring manger's boss, an MD, each scheduled for 30 minutes. Things seemed to go well with the generalist but the MD appeared to be unavailable. After 10 minutes, the Generalist made contact and brought me to that individual's office. Upon arrival this person was obviously agitated and explained that he had a hard stop at the hour: he was having child care issues. I had been concerned with only having 30 minutes as per the original schedule and this time had now been trimmed to 15. Throughout, the interviewer was distracted, detached and visibly annoyed. In any other environment I would have recommended that we reconvene at a better time but this didn't seem like a good idea. I was so concerned with the tone of the meeting that I emailed the person who referred me to let him know that there was no way I would be proceeding and thanked him for his help.

Everyone has a bad day so I brushed the issue off as "stuff happens". I was very surprised to be called back for what was initially to be 2 more 30 minute meetings. The morning of the scheduled date I was informed that only 1 meeting would take place. Upon arrival, the individual I was scheduled to meet with was unavailable. When he was found, it turned out he was "triple booked" but we could "chat". I got the impression that this individual had not reviewed my credentials at all and I came away thinking that nothing we discussed could possibly support a hire/don't hire decision.

I was called the next day to be notified that I would not be getting an offer. What annoyed me was I am convinced that the last meeting was simply to cover the MD, whose complete disregard for me as a candidate still leaves a bad impression. I strive to provide substantial latitude when my directs are looking to hire someone. Without that autonomy what is the point of empowering subordinates? I would be cautious in dealing with TDA in that it appears that the most senior manager has the most weight in executing hiring decisions.

Interview Questions
    • My wife works and our nanny needs to leave early, so I have to leave at 5.   View Answer