TD Ameritrade

92 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

TAS Representative Interview

TAS Representative

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Interview Details – horrible. Too many interviews and Director level interviewers are condescending and rude

Interview Question – none - all subjective interviewing so the interviewer never got a chance to know me   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was none -- it was a take it or leave it

Investment Consultant Interview

Investment Consultant
Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in July 2012.

Interview Details – Initial communication was great and easy interview. Full scope of role not detailed

Interview Question – Tell me about the current stock market   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – non negotiable

Manager Interview

Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Interview Details – Was recruited, interviewed, passed over and offered a lower position. They took bout 6 weeks to complete the process. They seemed disorganized, uncertain of what they wanted. First interview over the phone, second in person with 8 managers in one room, chaotic. HR recruiter did not provide accurate information regarding upward management- they seemed upset at the interviewee for an HR mistake.

Interview Question – They don't ask difficult questions because they don't know the industry that well. Seems like they hire outside the industry for management positions, who did the interview. They are looking for a specific response, not a truthful answer   Answer Question

Manager- Internal Development, Guidance & Strategy Interview

Manager- Internal Development, Guidance & Strategy

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in December 2013.

Interview Details – Initial interview with internal recruiter was great. Then- panel interview with managers was awful. Was going great with one team member, then other manager Manager was 15 minutes late then comes on and proceeded to break me down and find ways that I was not a fit for the job, only concerned with my current role and how it had to exactly relate to their dream candidate. As if I can not learn, adapt or develop! Really not interested in me, my strengths or what I bring to the table. A colossal waste of time. I have recently interviewed with 10 large Financial Services Institutions and this was hands down the worst. I really just decided in our conversation that I would never want to work in this culture and management and said it was not going to be a fit- the first time I have ever done this in an interview.

Interview Question – Condescending and combative interview tone- Where is this coming from? Here is a tip- maybe this works for internal applicants who are trying to move up the ranks? (the whole, why should we hire you? Yawn. . . ) This is not going to be effective in recruiting experienced folks like me away from my firm. Guess the grass is no greener! Good luck.   View Answer

Manager Interview

Manager
Omaha, NE

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in February 2009.

Interview Details – The initial screening process is very long and you don't answer any significant questions. Now on the side of a manager, I know that HR group does little to qualify people and slows down the process considerably.

Interview Question – Do you have kids? That's a no no.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, you are set given what they say or not.

Software Support Engineer Interview

Software Support Engineer
Omaha, NE

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and completed a phone interview a week later. Interviewed in person with the hiring manager and her colleague. Pretty straightforward interview with some questions about experiences with Linux and working time-sensitive tickets.

Overall it was a good experience. Everyone involved was very courteous. I did not get an offer as the position was filled with another candidate.

Interview Question – If you had no financial obligations for six months, what would you do with all your extra money   View Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Senior Manager

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Interview Details – I was referred for consideration by a friend of a friend. The first interview with the individual currently in the role and the hiring manager was extremely cordial and proceeded to next steps. The next set of meetings were with the HR generalist and the hiring manger's boss, an MD, each scheduled for 30 minutes. Things seemed to go well with the generalist but the MD appeared to be unavailable. After 10 minutes, the Generalist made contact and brought me to that individual's office. Upon arrival this person was obviously agitated and explained that he had a hard stop at the hour: he was having child care issues. I had been concerned with only having 30 minutes as per the original schedule and this time had now been trimmed to 15. Throughout, the interviewer was distracted, detached and visibly annoyed. In any other environment I would have recommended that we reconvene at a better time but this didn't seem like a good idea. I was so concerned with the tone of the meeting that I emailed the person who referred me to let him know that there was no way I would be proceeding and thanked him for his help.

Everyone has a bad day so I brushed the issue off as "stuff happens". I was very surprised to be called back for what was initially to be 2 more 30 minute meetings. The morning of the scheduled date I was informed that only 1 meeting would take place. Upon arrival, the individual I was scheduled to meet with was unavailable. When he was found, it turned out he was "triple booked" but we could "chat". I got the impression that this individual had not reviewed my credentials at all and I came away thinking that nothing we discussed could possibly support a hire/don't hire decision.

I was called the next day to be notified that I would not be getting an offer. What annoyed me was I am convinced that the last meeting was simply to cover the MD, whose complete disregard for me as a candidate still leaves a bad impression. I strive to provide substantial latitude when my directs are looking to hire someone. Without that autonomy what is the point of empowering subordinates? I would be cautious in dealing with TDA in that it appears that the most senior manager has the most weight in executing hiring decisions.

Interview Question – My wife works and our nanny needs to leave early, so I have to leave at 5.   View Answer

Investment Consultant Interview

Investment Consultant
New Haven, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Interview Details – Met with branch manager, then regional manger. Needed to sell myself just like any other interview. Provided them with a rundown of resume and reasons for leaving current position and why I was interested in the role at TD.

Interview Question – why do you want to do this job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – straight up base, no negotiation on base and bonus structure. 55k was highest base at the time and bonus changed every year from national

Financial Representative Interview

Financial Representative
DFW, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in June 2009.

Interview Details – One phone interview and two in person meetings.

Interview Question – There was no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Needed a job and accepted right away

Investor Services Interview

Investor Services
Fort Worth, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Interview Details – Interview process consisted of two different interviews. The first being a phone interview with an HR rep which was pretty standard and more behaviorally based. The second was an interview with one of the team managers which was more intensive than the initial interview, yet still pretty standard. They preformed a background check from HireRight, which was honestly the most difficult aspect of the hiring process as the HireRight representatives that I dealt with were entirely incompetent. Background check was the longest portion of the process, taking over two weeks and including more effort than the interviewing process.

Interview Question – Questions were largely behavioral, so no question was truly "unexpected." They were curious to how you react in certain situations and what type of tasks you prefer. Felt like most of the process was personality based, seeing if you would be a good fit personality-wise within the department you are wanting to work in. Some roles have clearly defined personality sets that are expected.   Answer Question