TD Ameritrade Interview Questions

Updated Oct 12, 2014
Updated Oct 12, 2014

2.8

Investment Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in April 2013.

Met with Branch Manager for about 1.5 hours. Came back and met with two Investment Consultants for like 30 minutes then talked to the Branch Manager for another 15-20 minutes. Offer received within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Role Play - How would you sell to a client looking for information   Answer Question

Was not a fan of how pushy they were for me to accept their offer.

Audit Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TD Ameritrade.

You will go through 3 - 1 hour interviews prior to receiving an offer.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, take it or leave it.

Senior Quantitative Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade.

1. Phone interview with HR, very impressive recruiting process, keeps you in touch etc. This phone screen lasted 45 minutes. No technical phone screening by the hiring manager.

2. Then the 1 hr. interview in person with 4 people, they were able to squeeze a lot of questions in that hour, so that was impressive.

3. The team was very well knit, exceptionally cordial, and I could see the team work environment. But the rigorous skills in the team were abysmal, I mean one of the worst I have ever seen (well, I have interviewed and worked with some Wall street type firms, so take that into consideration), and not a single decent question came up, and basically whatever questions they had, I answered every question, and if I have to I guess, I think I had more education than the 4 people combined who interviewed me had and I am not exaggerating, and also I have as much experience as the boss of the hiring manager, I could read between the lines and they felt a lack of common ground between me and them.

4. I knew I was not going to be the best fit, but I was still interested since this is a good company, and with a great vibe and a very positive work environment. I saw everyone there was very happy and enjoying their work, and while I was not too impressed with the interview content itself, they more than made up for it in their professionalism and how they conduct business and I give them a thumbs up even though no offer :)

I wish them well.

Investment Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Hiring manager was not very interested in my background, just wanted to know if I could make lots of calls to existing TD clients everyday. Told me it was easy gig and I could leave at 2pm if I hit my goals. This turned out to be untrue. Also, had phone interviews with Regional Mgr., who talked most if the time and told me how easy it was to make $100k. Also, turned out to be untrue.

None

Client Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at TD Ameritrade in March 2013.

Standard interview, nothing out of the ordinary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, KS

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in February 2013.

Phone discussion, meeting branch manager, meeting regional manager, phone interviews with other managers. Took way too long and was repetitive. For this type of job, that degree of scrutiny is totally unnecessary and a waste of potential employees time.

Interview Questions
    • Improper focus of questions that were irrelevant to job function   View Answer

Client Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in February 2013.

After applying online the branch manager contacted me directly by phone a little over two weeks later, the delay in response being the result of the recruiter for that division recently leaving. It was a friendly, get-to-know-you type of conversation which segued into questions regarding my background, previous experience, qualifications, and whether I'd be a good fit to proceed further. That initial conversation went very well and landed me an invitation to come in and meet the branch manager in person.

The face time interview was conversational and very relaxed, as we went more in depth as to what I had handled in previous positions that would align with the requirements they had for the client service specialist. Everyday duties would consist of depositing checks, entering trades, imaging transfer paperwork to the back office and following through to make sure transfers were handled in a timely manner and no money was left behind, taking inbound calls, making outbound calls, coordinating client events on an as-needed basis, and handling client service issues (RMD's, beneficiary updates, account transactions), but the biggest target of the position was to take existing clients who came in for service items and leveraging the opportunity to sit them down with an investment consultant if their was a lucrative opportunity discovered. This meant being able to build relationships with their current clients and uncover opportunities for their six IC's to transition self-directed accounts over to managed accounts, this was the biggest part of the business development and 'keeps the lights on'.

The first interview went so well that I was told on the spot I would be contacted later that day to set up a time to come back and sit down with the investment consultants to make sure the personalities were a good fit and to get a better idea of what they would need. I received the call, set up a second interview, did the usual follow through with a thank-you letter and went in the next week to meet with two of the IC's.

The investment consultants had been there for a period of time, they spoke highly of the company, and I addressed questions such as 'how long have you been in sales, what interests you in this particular position, are you able to multi-task, handle processing requests, follow through, and can you drop everything to address a client who walks in, they are the number one priority', etc. Following that I was encouraged to ask my own questions. The person who vacated the position took a promotion within the company, which was encouraging that this could be a place where I could grow professionally.

Overall it was a great experience, I have no regrets, I gave it my all. The office environment is relaxed, conference room for client meetings is up front, nice lobby, ICs' offices are further back down the hall, and the size of the location is large enough where you don't get the feeling everyone is tripping over each other. The best impression I got is that the IC's are each assigned individually to be 'broker of the day', so referring investment opportunities won't leave you in a position to have to choose, it's fair, honest, very straightforward.

Interview Questions
    • "Your desk is going to be covered in paper, why would you want to do this?"   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university – interviewed at TD Ameritrade in February 2013.

on-site interview with three officers. one by one. half hour for each. the first two people are professions, ask more about the projects on resume and how you familiar with some stat software, like SAS. the last one is HR, ask general questions. Like what is your plan in future, in one year and in five years.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at TD Ameritrade in September 2012.

Contacted via email by HR told to come in for interview with 3 managers. Later in the day told it was a mistake and a screening phone call would take place a few days later. After the screening phone call I was asked to come in a week later to meet with 3 managers. Showed up early and had to wait for manger to come in around 915. Interview was for 9. Spoke with one manager for 45 mins. Which left little time left to speak with other 2 managers. THey apologized but it was really bad time management by the first manager. I sent a thank you follow up to all parties the day after. A week later I contacted HR asking whether the position was filled. Three months later still no response. I have seen the position again advertised on Linkedin. Very unprofessional HR and managers in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • No question unexpected. What is your biggest strength/weekness? Why do you want to work here? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Client Services Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in September 2012.

After applying for this position I was contacted by their HR Shared Services dept. The email communication went very well and I was given a time slot a few days later to interview with a recruiter. When the recruiter called he sounded very young and inexperienced. He had very little personality and asked me very basic interview questions that did not challenge me one bit. After a few minutes I felt as if I was the recruiter running the interview. I could hear the recruiter typing away on his keyboard and not being very engaged. The interview lasted about 20 minutes, but it felt like an hour. After the interview I sent a thank you email to the HR person that originally contacted me as the recruiter did not provide me with that information. Well as I figured I never heard back from the recruiter.