TD Ameritrade Interview Questions

Updated Jun 8, 2015

2.8

Leadership Prgram Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at TD Ameritrade (Jersey City, NJ).

Interview

phone interview then site

Investment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at TD Ameritrade (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

They just want to know if you can close business. They need closers to sell the in house product. As long as you have your license they'll hire you and promise the world. Ask about the high turnover.

Negotiation

Pay is not competitive

TAS Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Interview

horrible. Too many interviews and Director level interviewers are condescending and rude

Interview Questions

• none - all subjective interviewing so the interviewer never got a chance to know me   Answer Question

Negotiation

there was none -- it was a take it or leave it

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Interview

Was recruited, interviewed, passed over and offered a lower position. They took bout 6 weeks to complete the process. They seemed disorganized, uncertain of what they wanted. First interview over the phone, second in person with 8 managers in one room, chaotic. HR recruiter did not provide accurate information regarding upward management- they seemed upset at the interviewee for an HR mistake.

Interview Questions

• They don't ask difficult questions because they don't know the industry that well. Seems like they hire outside the industry for management positions, who did the interview. They are looking for a specific response, not a truthful answer   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in December 2013.

Interview

Initial interview with internal recruiter was great. Then- panel interview with managers was awful. Was going great with one team member, then other manager Manager was 15 minutes late then comes on and proceeded to break me down and find ways that I was not a fit for the job, only concerned with my current role and how it had to exactly relate to their dream candidate. As if I can not learn, adapt or develop! Really not interested in me, my strengths or what I bring to the table. A colossal waste of time. I have recently interviewed with 10 large Financial Services Institutions and this was hands down the worst. I really just decided in our conversation that I would never want to work in this culture and management and said it was not going to be a fit- the first time I have ever done this in an interview.

Interview Questions

• Condescending and combative interview tone- Where is this coming from? Here is a tip- maybe this works for internal applicants who are trying to move up the ranks? (the whole, why should we hire you? Yawn. . . ) This is not going to be effective in recruiting experienced folks like me away from my firm. Guess the grass is no greener! Good luck.   1 Answer

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade (Omaha, NE) in December 2013.

Interview

The recruiter called me first and then the hr contacted me twice to schedule the same interview.

Interview Questions

• The retail side of the business uses the STAR method-situation, task, action, result. The marketing department does not use this method. They are more like a conversation. They do not really ask questions.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in November 2013.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR manager was followed by a questionnaire to measure your sales aptitude and a phone interview with the hiring manager (Branch Manager). Nearly all the questions were about my background, skills, and experience. Was also asked several times to describe why I was interested in working at this firm and also what attracted me to the role. I was told the role consists of approximately 70% sales and 30% relationship management. It was made very clear that this role does not include any portfolio management responsibilities. The 3rd round interview is with a Branch Manager from a different office and included a 10-minute role play where I was the Investment Consultant and the Branch Manager was acting as an uninterested client that I had to persuade to become interested in the firm's products. There were lots of objections that the candidate is asked to try to overcome.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question dealt with the role play in the 3rd round interview. The Branch Manager, who was acting as the client, was a very difficult customer who had absolutely no interest in learning more about ways the Investment Consultant could introduce additional products and services to the client. He gave many one word answers and was not interested in giving the Investment Consultant any room to expand the conversation.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Interview

I was referred for consideration by a friend of a friend. The first interview with the individual currently in the role and the hiring manager was extremely cordial and proceeded to next steps. The next set of meetings were with the HR generalist and the hiring manger's boss, an MD, each scheduled for 30 minutes. Things seemed to go well with the generalist but the MD appeared to be unavailable. After 10 minutes, the Generalist made contact and brought me to that individual's office. Upon arrival this person was obviously agitated and explained that he had a hard stop at the hour: he was having child care issues. I had been concerned with only having 30 minutes as per the original schedule and this time had now been trimmed to 15. Throughout, the interviewer was distracted, detached and visibly annoyed. In any other environment I would have recommended that we reconvene at a better time but this didn't seem like a good idea. I was so concerned with the tone of the meeting that I emailed the person who referred me to let him know that there was no way I would be proceeding and thanked him for his help.

Everyone has a bad day so I brushed the issue off as "stuff happens". I was very surprised to be called back for what was initially to be 2 more 30 minute meetings. The morning of the scheduled date I was informed that only 1 meeting would take place. Upon arrival, the individual I was scheduled to meet with was unavailable. When he was found, it turned out he was "triple booked" but we could "chat". I got the impression that this individual had not reviewed my credentials at all and I came away thinking that nothing we discussed could possibly support a hire/don't hire decision.

I was called the next day to be notified that I would not be getting an offer. What annoyed me was I am convinced that the last meeting was simply to cover the MD, whose complete disregard for me as a candidate still leaves a bad impression. I strive to provide substantial latitude when my directs are looking to hire someone. Without that autonomy what is the point of empowering subordinates? I would be cautious in dealing with TDA in that it appears that the most senior manager has the most weight in executing hiring decisions.

Interview Questions

• My wife works and our nanny needs to leave early, so I have to leave at 5.   1 Answer

Investment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade (New Haven, CT).

Interview

Met with branch manager, then regional manger. Needed to sell myself just like any other interview. Provided them with a rundown of resume and reasons for leaving current position and why I was interested in the role at TD.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to do this job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

straight up base, no negotiation on base and bonus structure. 55k was highest base at the time and bonus changed every year from national

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at TD Ameritrade in October 2013.

Interview

Applied through their website, then got the phone call interview, then office interview. Recruiter and interviewer are very nice. The interview process was not hard at all. Just be confident and show your passion about the internship program and the company, you will do fine.

Interview Questions

• there are no difficult questions. Very basic, just show them your passion for learning about the work and this company   Answer Question