TD Ameritrade Interview Questions

Updated Jun 8, 2015

2.8

Investor Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade (Fort Worth, TX).

Interview

Interview process consisted of two different interviews. The first being a phone interview with an HR rep which was pretty standard and more behaviorally based. The second was an interview with one of the team managers which was more intensive than the initial interview, yet still pretty standard. They preformed a background check from HireRight, which was honestly the most difficult aspect of the hiring process as the HireRight representatives that I dealt with were entirely incompetent. Background check was the longest portion of the process, taking over two weeks and including more effort than the interviewing process.

Interview Questions

• Questions were largely behavioral, so no question was truly "unexpected." They were curious to how you react in certain situations and what type of tasks you prefer. Felt like most of the process was personality based, seeing if you would be a good fit personality-wise within the department you are wanting to work in. Some roles have clearly defined personality sets that are expected.   Answer Question

Software Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade (Omaha, NE) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied online and completed a phone interview a week later. Interviewed in person with the hiring manager and her colleague. Pretty straightforward interview with some questions about experiences with Linux and working time-sensitive tickets.

Overall it was a good experience. Everyone involved was very courteous. I did not get an offer as the position was filled with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• If you had no financial obligations for six months, what would you do with all your extra money   1 Answer

Business and Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade (Jersey City, NJ) in September 2013.

Interview

3 rounds of phone interviews. First one very general with hr team member. Next is with a finance manager with more questions about background/past and then some basic math questions to test you. 3rd interview with another finance manager and it is a very straight forward business/logic case.

Interview Questions

• A glass bottle full of liquid weighs 100 ounces. If you remove half the liquid, the bottle now weighs 60 ounces. How much does the bottle weigh with nothing in it?   4 Answers

Branch Manager Interview

Interview

Interview occured with a Ristrict Manager as well as a Divisional Vice President. Each interview was very structured (they were working from a list of questions), but was conversational in approach. Interview were done over multiple days, each person asked a different set of questions based upon how the positon affected either thier Region or Division.

Interview Questions

• Best Question: What do I think will be the most important variable to ensure branch success.   Answer Question

Client Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at TD Ameritrade (Fort Worth, TX).

Interview

I went through a Temp agency and went through the same process as a direct hire. You are interviewed by their HR dept. and then the hiring manager that you will be working for. Easy!!!

Amerivest Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Interview

I was hired internally - from a subsidiary of TD Ameritrade, so I don't know what the hiring process is like from the outside. I came with as a referral from my former manager, so I only had one interview and they let me know within a few days that I was hired.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Most difficult is probably answering what the most difficult time in my career was and having to explain the reasons why.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was none - they gave me the "average" salary of that level of position (they have levels attached to job positions with low/average/high salaries. They do not make offers higher than the average salary for that position (maybe management is different, but this was more of an entry level position.

Investment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade (Fort Worth, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

One interview with recruiter and two other with managers. Also took a personality assessment. Young staff of energetic managers and co-workers.

Interview Questions

Grass is not always greener. I like my job, work hard but also feel appreciated at TDA!

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at TD Ameritrade in April 2013.

Interview

After submitting a resume online, a lady called me and explained they were interested in getting to know more about me. She set up a time later in the week for the first interview, which was held over the phone. During the phone interview, she asked the basic questions like if you were in this situation you would do what types of questions. Then she asked my availability to make sure I would be able to work the hours they needed (20 hours/week). A few days later she called and said the first one went well so they wanted me to come in for a interview with the hiring manager. The second interview was a little intimidating since it was my first real interview. The hiring manager and another guy kept writing down notes and seemed to be unimpressed with anything I said. However, when we were done with the questions and we started talking we seemed to break the ice and lighten up a bit. When I left I didn't think I had done well enough to get the internship, but a few weeks later the lady who had interviewed me over the phone called to tell me I got the internship! The lady was always very friendly, however the two guys in the interview were rigid and not very approachable. They made it kind of uncomfortable, but I guess that's how an interview is going to be.

Interview Questions

• What are the core values of our company?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in April 2013.

Interview

Met with Branch Manager for about 1.5 hours. Came back and met with two Investment Consultants for like 30 minutes then talked to the Branch Manager for another 15-20 minutes. Offer received within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Role Play - How would you sell to a client looking for information   Answer Question

Was not a fan of how pushy they were for me to accept their offer.

Senior Quantitative Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade (Chicago, IL).

Interview

1. Phone interview with HR, very impressive recruiting process, keeps you in touch etc. This phone screen lasted 45 minutes. No technical phone screening by the hiring manager.

2. Then the 1 hr. interview in person with 4 people, they were able to squeeze a lot of questions in that hour, so that was impressive.

3. The team was very well knit, exceptionally cordial, and I could see the team work environment. But the rigorous skills in the team were abysmal, I mean one of the worst I have ever seen (well, I have interviewed and worked with some Wall street type firms, so take that into consideration), and not a single decent question came up, and basically whatever questions they had, I answered every question, and if I have to I guess, I think I had more education than the 4 people combined who interviewed me had and I am not exaggerating, and also I have as much experience as the boss of the hiring manager, I could read between the lines and they felt a lack of common ground between me and them.

4. I knew I was not going to be the best fit, but I was still interested since this is a good company, and with a great vibe and a very positive work environment. I saw everyone there was very happy and enjoying their work, and while I was not too impressed with the interview content itself, they more than made up for it in their professionalism and how they conduct business and I give them a thumbs up even though no offer :)

I wish them well.