TD Ameritrade

Relevance Date Difficulty

Client Service Specialist Interview

Client Service Specialist
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in February 2013.

Interview Details – After applying online the branch manager contacted me directly by phone a little over two weeks later, the delay in response being the result of the recruiter for that division recently leaving. It was a friendly, get-to-know-you type of conversation which segued into questions regarding my background, previous experience, qualifications, and whether I'd be a good fit to proceed further. That initial conversation went very well and landed me an invitation to come in and meet the branch manager in person.

The face time interview was conversational and very relaxed, as we went more in depth as to what I had handled in previous positions that would align with the requirements they had for the client service specialist. Everyday duties would consist of depositing checks, entering trades, imaging transfer paperwork to the back office and following through to make sure transfers were handled in a timely manner and no money was left behind, taking inbound calls, making outbound calls, coordinating client events on an as-needed basis, and handling client service issues (RMD's, beneficiary updates, account transactions), but the biggest target of the position was to take existing clients who came in for service items and leveraging the opportunity to sit them down with an investment consultant if their was a lucrative opportunity discovered. This meant being able to build relationships with their current clients and uncover opportunities for their six IC's to transition self-directed accounts over to managed accounts, this was the biggest part of the business development and 'keeps the lights on'.

The first interview went so well that I was told on the spot I would be contacted later that day to set up a time to come back and sit down with the investment consultants to make sure the personalities were a good fit and to get a better idea of what they would need. I received the call, set up a second interview, did the usual follow through with a thank-you letter and went in the next week to meet with two of the IC's.

The investment consultants had been there for a period of time, they spoke highly of the company, and I addressed questions such as 'how long have you been in sales, what interests you in this particular position, are you able to multi-task, handle processing requests, follow through, and can you drop everything to address a client who walks in, they are the number one priority', etc. Following that I was encouraged to ask my own questions. The person who vacated the position took a promotion within the company, which was encouraging that this could be a place where I could grow professionally.

Overall it was a great experience, I have no regrets, I gave it my all. The office environment is relaxed, conference room for client meetings is up front, nice lobby, ICs' offices are further back down the hall, and the size of the location is large enough where you don't get the feeling everyone is tripping over each other. The best impression I got is that the IC's are each assigned individually to be 'broker of the day', so referring investment opportunities won't leave you in a position to have to choose, it's fair, honest, very straightforward.

Interview Question – "Your desk is going to be covered in paper, why would you want to do this?"   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Jersey City, NJ

I interviewed at TD Ameritrade in January 2011.

Interview Details – There was a series of 6 interviews with the team that I was hoping to join, four of which were in person and the other two were over the phone since the managers were not able to be present that day. The interviews were mostly fit and psychological, rather than problem solving.

Interview Question – What was one time where you were a leader and failed?   Answer Question

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Jersey City, NJ

I applied online - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in September 2012.

Interview Details – Contacted via email by HR told to come in for interview with 3 managers. Later in the day told it was a mistake and a screening phone call would take place a few days later. After the screening phone call I was asked to come in a week later to meet with 3 managers. Showed up early and had to wait for manger to come in around 915. Interview was for 9. Spoke with one manager for 45 mins. Which left little time left to speak with other 2 managers. THey apologized but it was really bad time management by the first manager. I sent a thank you follow up to all parties the day after. A week later I contacted HR asking whether the position was filled. Three months later still no response. I have seen the position again advertised on Linkedin. Very unprofessional HR and managers in my opinion.

Interview Question – No question unexpected. What is your biggest strength/weekness? Why do you want to work here? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Client Services Specialist Interview

Client Services Specialist
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in September 2012.

Interview Details – After applying for this position I was contacted by their HR Shared Services dept. The email communication went very well and I was given a time slot a few days later to interview with a recruiter. When the recruiter called he sounded very young and inexperienced. He had very little personality and asked me very basic interview questions that did not challenge me one bit. After a few minutes I felt as if I was the recruiter running the interview. I could hear the recruiter typing away on his keyboard and not being very engaged. The interview lasted about 20 minutes, but it felt like an hour. After the interview I sent a thank you email to the HR person that originally contacted me as the recruiter did not provide me with that information. Well as I figured I never heard back from the recruiter.

Strategy Analyst Interview

Strategy Analyst
Jersey City, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in April 2009.

Interview Details – Found out about job posting through alumni network. Had initial conversation with hiring manager (brain teaser questions, cultural fit) followed by interview with department director (similar questions- math on the spot, standard business case question). After about a week, was invited to interview in person for final round with Managing Director, hiring manager & other analysts on team for some skill based questions (SQL writing) and cultural fit.

Interview Question – Solving customer satisfaction concerns to call centers   Answer Question

Credit Risk Analyst Interview

Credit Risk Analyst
Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in February 2009.

Interview Details – Really laid back interview between myself and the hiring manager. He asked background information and went over my resume. There was a few behaviour based questions, what would you do in this type of situation. I heard back within a week and was offered the position.

Negotiation Details – None

Financial Consultant Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in July 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online through the website. Had a pleasant phone interview with a talent acquisition specialist and was sent a sales aptitude survey via email. I took the survey and four days later received a form email saying that they had hired another candidate. The survey asked a lot of questions about how comfortable you are with making lots of phone calls and if you are comfortable being called a sales person or sales rep as though we should be embarrassed to be in sales. Also asked a couple of ethics questions, etc. I got the impression that they are looking for more aggressive sales types to get the assets and hen move on to the next potential client rather than being a true financial consultant.

Interview Question – none, personality survey   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Financial Representative
Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in May 2012.

Interview Details – The Interview started with a an hour long phone interview. I was then called in the next week for a one on one interview that was scheduled at 9pm at night. I had previously worked with the company as a temp, and exceeded goals, with great job performance. I was not offered a job.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer and how did you handle the situation?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Broker Interview

Broker
Omaha, NE

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in January 2008.

Interview Details – I went in and filled out an application. I already had securities licenses, so it was very easy for me to get hired. The interviews seemed like a formality more than a question of whether they were going to hire me. At the time, the market was still booming and they were hiring anyone who looked smart enough to do the job and not bomb the interview.

Interview Question – describe a difficult situation and how you handled it...   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Offer seemed fair.

Intern Interview

Intern
Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TD Ameritrade in August 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online, received notification within 1 week. Set up phone interview that led to a personality test. Finally I was asked to interview 1:1.

Interview Questions