TD Ameritrade Investment Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TD Ameritrade (Omaha, NE).

Interview

I applied online. Within a week I received a call from a recruiter. After that interview I met with the Branch Manager. I had to do a Sales Key assessment. Was interviewed by another Branch Manager over the phone later that week. Final interview was with the Regional Manager and Branch Manager for expectations of the role.

Interview Questions

• What is your sales process?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for TD Ameritrade

Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TD Ameritrade (Radnor, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

Initial phone screen followed by 3 interviews two in person with the branch manager and then the regional manager as well as 1 phone interview with a BM who ran through a role play.

Interview Questions

• What's your sales process?   1 Answer

Investment Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TD Ameritrade in December 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter after posting my resume online somewhere and interviewed me over the phone. Our conversation went very well so she scheduled another phone interview with the hiring manager from a branch. That went well also so then the next step was a face to face interview at the branch. I went for the interview and when I got there, the regional manager was there as well. During the interview, they made it seem like this was a very high profile job when in fact its a sales job and you don't have a book of business. Your job is to gather assets! That's it! The goal was $11 million Net New Assets per quarter! There no trails, you can not give investment advise. You start at zero every quarter. They pay you a base of $55k and the quarterly bonuses are un-capped. I realized that this was not for me. I'd feel like a hamster running on a wheel so I decided not to continue our conversation before we got deeper in the process. Over all, my experience was great. They were very professional but this role was not for me. I believe I would been successful at receiving an offer but I would not have accepted. There is someone for every role. The regional manager even said during the interview, "if you are making $100k in this job, you are over paid" This role you should be making at least $200k." You can read between the lines there. I am done with this review. This is actually fun. Does anyone actually read this stuff? lol I hope this helps!

Interview Questions

• Why are you leaving your current employer? What is your biggest challenge?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TD Ameritrade (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview was in person with three of the national branch managers. They focused more on past sales experience opposed to industry experience. They were very direct in their questions. They want to see confidence and ambition in the interview.

Investment Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Interview

Apply online, receive info on taking a personality test if you qualify, if they like your results you will get a short phone interview, then an in person interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No matter what, you will be underpaid...

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at TD Ameritrade (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

They just want to know if you can close business. They need closers to sell the in house product. As long as you have your license they'll hire you and promise the world. Ask about the high turnover.

Negotiation

Pay is not competitive

Investment Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TD Ameritrade in November 2013.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR manager was followed by a questionnaire to measure your sales aptitude and a phone interview with the hiring manager (Branch Manager). Nearly all the questions were about my background, skills, and experience. Was also asked several times to describe why I was interested in working at this firm and also what attracted me to the role. I was told the role consists of approximately 70% sales and 30% relationship management. It was made very clear that this role does not include any portfolio management responsibilities. The 3rd round interview is with a Branch Manager from a different office and included a 10-minute role play where I was the Investment Consultant and the Branch Manager was acting as an uninterested client that I had to persuade to become interested in the firm's products. There were lots of objections that the candidate is asked to try to overcome.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question dealt with the role play in the 3rd round interview. The Branch Manager, who was acting as the client, was a very difficult customer who had absolutely no interest in learning more about ways the Investment Consultant could introduce additional products and services to the client. He gave many one word answers and was not interested in giving the Investment Consultant any room to expand the conversation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TD Ameritrade (New Haven, CT).

Interview

Met with branch manager, then regional manger. Needed to sell myself just like any other interview. Provided them with a rundown of resume and reasons for leaving current position and why I was interested in the role at TD.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to do this job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

straight up base, no negotiation on base and bonus structure. 55k was highest base at the time and bonus changed every year from national

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TD Ameritrade (Fort Worth, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

One interview with recruiter and two other with managers. Also took a personality assessment. Young staff of energetic managers and co-workers.

Interview Questions

Grass is not always greener. I like my job, work hard but also feel appreciated at TDA!

Investment Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TD Ameritrade in April 2013.

Interview

Met with Branch Manager for about 1.5 hours. Came back and met with two Investment Consultants for like 30 minutes then talked to the Branch Manager for another 15-20 minutes. Offer received within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Role Play - How would you sell to a client looking for information   Answer Question

Was not a fan of how pushy they were for me to accept their offer.