TD Ameritrade Investment Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at TD Ameritrade (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview was in person with three of the national branch managers. They focused more on past sales experience opposed to industry experience. They were very direct in their questions. They want to see confidence and ambition in the interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for TD Ameritrade

Investment Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Interview

Apply online, receive info on taking a personality test if you qualify, if they like your results you will get a short phone interview, then an in person interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No matter what, you will be underpaid...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at TD Ameritrade (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

They just want to know if you can close business. They need closers to sell the in house product. As long as you have your license they'll hire you and promise the world. Ask about the high turnover.

Negotiation

Pay is not competitive

Investment Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in November 2013.

Interview

Initial phone interview with HR manager was followed by a questionnaire to measure your sales aptitude and a phone interview with the hiring manager (Branch Manager). Nearly all the questions were about my background, skills, and experience. Was also asked several times to describe why I was interested in working at this firm and also what attracted me to the role. I was told the role consists of approximately 70% sales and 30% relationship management. It was made very clear that this role does not include any portfolio management responsibilities. The 3rd round interview is with a Branch Manager from a different office and included a 10-minute role play where I was the Investment Consultant and the Branch Manager was acting as an uninterested client that I had to persuade to become interested in the firm's products. There were lots of objections that the candidate is asked to try to overcome.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question dealt with the role play in the 3rd round interview. The Branch Manager, who was acting as the client, was a very difficult customer who had absolutely no interest in learning more about ways the Investment Consultant could introduce additional products and services to the client. He gave many one word answers and was not interested in giving the Investment Consultant any room to expand the conversation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade (New Haven, CT).

Interview

Met with branch manager, then regional manger. Needed to sell myself just like any other interview. Provided them with a rundown of resume and reasons for leaving current position and why I was interested in the role at TD.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to do this job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

straight up base, no negotiation on base and bonus structure. 55k was highest base at the time and bonus changed every year from national

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade (Fort Worth, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

One interview with recruiter and two other with managers. Also took a personality assessment. Young staff of energetic managers and co-workers.

Interview Questions

Grass is not always greener. I like my job, work hard but also feel appreciated at TDA!

Investment Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade in April 2013.

Interview

Met with Branch Manager for about 1.5 hours. Came back and met with two Investment Consultants for like 30 minutes then talked to the Branch Manager for another 15-20 minutes. Offer received within 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Role Play - How would you sell to a client looking for information   Answer Question

Was not a fan of how pushy they were for me to accept their offer.

Investment Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade.

Interview

Hiring manager was not very interested in my background, just wanted to know if I could make lots of calls to existing TD clients everyday. Told me it was easy gig and I could leave at 2pm if I hit my goals. This turned out to be untrue. Also, had phone interviews with Regional Mgr., who talked most if the time and told me how easy it was to make $100k. Also, turned out to be untrue.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TD Ameritrade (Kansas City, KS) in February 2013.

Interview

Phone discussion, meeting branch manager, meeting regional manager, phone interviews with other managers. Took way too long and was repetitive. For this type of job, that degree of scrutiny is totally unnecessary and a waste of potential employees time.

Interview Questions

• Improper focus of questions that were irrelevant to job function   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TD Ameritrade (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

Initial communication was great and easy interview. Full scope of role not detailed

Interview Questions

Negotiation

non negotiable