TD Securities

Updated Oct 10, 2014
Updated Oct 10, 2014

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at TD Securities.

I applied through a recruiter. There process was very quick. I was brought in for a 1 hour interview with the development manager and two developers. They questions were very basic and mostly core Java. Questions were like "what is the difference between overriding and overloading", "what are the access modifiers", "what is the difference between a deadlock and a race condition/"

Interview Questions

Project did not interest me.

Other Interview Reviews for TD Securities

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at TD Securities in August 2012.

The interviewer gave me a 30 min test which involved technical and financial knowledge. I could answer most of the technical questions (Implement hashtable, shell commands & implementing simple Java methods) but left financial questions blank. During the interview he told me straight up that I shouldn't expect to gain much technical experience working at TD Securities and should expect a lot of politics. I believe they were looking for people who's also more involved in financial sector.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at TD Securities in July 2011.

After posting my resume in monster.ca, a recruiter contacted me informing me of an opportunity to be a part of a young software developer team. He asked me some questions about my skills and see if they match what TD was looking for. He believes so, so he arranged the technical interview with TD manager.

The technical interview was suppose to be in front of at least 2 people (1 line manager, 1 project manager). It consists of 30-45 mins interview (past experience, and some technical interview) and then 1.5 hours of written test. The face to face interview was only between the line manager and I, since the project manager was sick (I got lucky).

Once manager thought I was good enough in first round, I got second "technical interview". I didn't know then but I saw the big boss(or the project manager), and the interview was not technical at all. It is all about past experiences, etc. It lasted for about 30 mins, when the interview was suppose to be an hour. He basically talked about the position and perks of being part of TD.

They then contacted me back, asking if I am willing to join them.

Pointers to remember:
    1) Know your skills - I am a fresh graduate, with internship experience programming in Java. I applied for a job that requires core Java, and hence I should know Java by heart.
    2) Be poised when thrown questions you are not comfortable with. You don't have to agree with the question or point the interviewer is trying to make, but you don't have to react too much about it that shows you are upset. Just be composed.
    3) I applied for software job so know the basics, such as data structure. I don't think they expect you to code usual CS algorithms (merge sort, quick sort, etc), but it doesn't hurt to review them.
    4) Just know how to analyze. Some of the questions that he asked me were things I never thought of studying prior to interview - they are more real world scenarios but still relate to things I have learned in school. I showed to him that I didn't prepare for questions like those, but I thought about the question and started telling him what made sense to me, and suddenly, theory I learned started coming back. Point is, I found it easier to answer questions by thinking of problems from a practical mind set, then see if you can enforce the knowledge with theoretical backing.

As for the impression I get, I think they are work driven (only expected). Don't expect to work for TD (at least for this team), if you care about work life balance. They claim they pay over time, so that is good. I work extra beyond my hours anyway when I was an intern and not get paid. I cannot comment on office as I didn't get a formal tour of the work place yet. But from the offices that I have passed by, they seem like a typical corporate office - cubicles, less open space.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TD Securities in June 2011.

Phone interview and then a panel interview

Interview Questions
    • Typical technical inteview questions for a developer in relevant skills in areas such as object oriented programming languages (java), Database, SOA, Enterprise integration and middleware technologies, etc.   View Answer
    Negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TD Securities in February 2011.

Got lead from head hunter. They had contract and full-time developer positions available. I wanted full-time. Interviewed with IT manager. Asked finance and coding questions.

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TD Securities in May 2010.

I got the interview through a recruiter. There was only 1 interview and it was an in depth questioning of everything on my resume followed by your standard programming questions (java). Process was fairly painless and it's no-nonsense.

I'm told the process has become more thorough in the last year.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected part was just how deep they wanted me to dive into my previous experience listed on my resume   View Answer
    They had a price range advertised at the outset and they offered the top end. No negotiation was necessary