TEKsystems

Updated Feb 3, 2015
Updated Feb 3, 2015

3.2

Technical Recruiter Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at TEKsystems.

Phone interview, Recruiter was 15 minutes late to call. Very rude on the phone, asked who I have been interviewing with and what offers I have received so far. Asked questions about what success meant to me and what my goals were. Was told my resume would be sent to a hiring manager, but I never heard anything back from either of them. Kinda Unprofessional.

Interview Questions
  • All average questions, what motivates you to be successful, how would you define success.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for TEKsystems

Technical Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TEKsystems.

The interview process was well-rounded, thorough and did a good job of "pulling back the curtains" on both the company and applicant.
    Interview 1 is with a regional recruiter by phone. This is the easiest, most basic interview, but your questions and answers to their questions will come up in future interviews. In this interview, it's not terribly difficult to qualify for the next step. They ask the important questions: where do you work, where have you worked, what degree do you have, and what questions do you have. The last part, what questions do you have, is important. Ask a lot of questions, because this is a great chance to get your first glimpse at the company.
    Interview 2 is with the Director of Business Operations - aka, the general manager of the office. He's in charge, and in my case, going to pick your personal and professional life apart. Keep in mind that this is a company that hires / recruits people for a living, so the DBO is going to be especially good at finding the truth. If you attempt to fake, lie or deviate from the truth as to who you are, what you've accomplished, and where you want to work is going to be blatantly obvious.
    Assuming you pass this step, which for me, was at least an hour and a half discussion of every position I've had, and as much about my personal life as the DBO could wring out of me, the third interview is a 1/2-day spent at the company office.
    Honestly, the 1/2-day is awesome - for both the company and applicant. You don't make it to this step without having a legitimate chance at employment. The idea behind the half-day is to give you the opportunity to 1) see how the office operates for half of a business day. You're there before 8AM to see their morning meeting, and spend time with each Account Manager (whom will one of be your direct supervisor), as well as a few Recruiters (whom will be your direct peers / colleagues). They will pitch this as an opportunity for you to see the company - open curtains, fully exposed. This is why I love the idea... you really have the opportunity to see how everyone functions. Sure, it's awkward because you're nervous and everything, but two things to keep in mind: in life, it's only awkward if you make it awkward, and 2, everyone else in the office has done their own 1/2-day, so they know what you're going through. The biggest thing to remember is to ask as many questions as possible. If you're reading this, you know well enough to look up common questions to ask in an interview, but you've already asked those in the first two interviews... so what do you ask? Ask about each individual's experience. Ask how they progressed, how they felt in their first 6, 12, 18, 24 months, ask how much money they make (seriously), ask how much money they made in their first year. Ask how quickly they were promoted, and how long the typical Recruiter is promoted. Also, and almost as important as asking how much money they make, ask them ABOUT THEMSELVES. This is going to open their questions as to who you are. Remember, as a recruiter, this is a people-business. Nobody works for Teksystems because they're IT-related, so the thing that will get you a job offer is your personality. Give each team-member (especially Account Managers) the opportunity to learn who YOU are. What makes David Swindell different from John Doe? They want to know.
    After the third interview (1/2-day), you may expect a job offer. You won't get it. There's a 4th interview, and that's a panel discussion. All of those Account Managers you had the opportunity to ask questions and shadow? They'll have their notes and will ask you all of the final questions that they didn't get a real answer to. If you brushed off a question in the 1/2-day, they'll ask again. If you made something unclear - i.e, your goals, they will figure those out. Be ready for repetitive questions, and if you lied in another portion of the interview, their notes will point that out.

Ultimately, they want you to close. You're applying for a sales position, so just getting away with the appropriate answer isn't going to cut it. They want to know who you are, where you're going and how you plan on getting there. They'd like to see you're a people-person -after all, you'll be dealing with people on a daily basis. If you know nothing about IT, that's not a problem in the least bit. Ideally, they want you to be money motivated, which is why the questions about how much they make and how much you can expect to make isn't a problem. Show them you want to make some money and they'll be willing to train you.

Interview Questions
    • Why?

They ask this with every answer you give, and it's meant to be a curve-ball. I've had plenty of experience and made enough decisions in my career. I don't always know the answer to those decisions, though. Maybe your career is based of gut-instinct, but when they ask you something like where do you want to be in 2, 5, 10 years, there's not a right or wrong answer. But when they ask why, there is.

Answer Question

Teksystems is an incredible opportunity for you to make some money. It's also a great career-path, especially for recent graduates. Personally, I didn't find this opportunity to be my most exciting offer, nor was it the most lucrative. The offer I accepted was for less pay, but that's OK.

Technical Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at TEKsystems in September 2013.

Applied and sent my resume online and quickly heard back from a recruiter. Had a telephone interview with her where they dug into my background, previous places of employment, what went wrong at those previous jobs, my work ethic, etc. Be mindful that this is a staffing agency so they will dig deep into your background and will find out and verify everything. If you lie, they will find out as it is their job to weed out people who are not qualified for a position. I was given immediate feedback as to how I did and then we set a time for me to go to the office and meet/interview with the manager of the office in my city.

The interview with the manager of the office was pretty intense, but not unbearable. Majority of the questions had to do with my work ethic and the type of person I am. You could tell the goal was to not only find someone who would work hard but also someone who would fit in well with the employees who were already there (they are really big on the company culture and the office dynamic). The questions were tough but only because the typical/perfect answer was not accepted. I really had to dig deep and be honest with myself and the manager of the office. Again, I received immediate feedback and we set a time for me to come in for my panel interview.

The panel interview included 4-5 managers in a room and they each tag teamed asking questions. Most of the questions were ones that had already been asked by either the recruiter or the manager of the office. The key to this is making sure your answers are all consistent. It is important to be professional but also be yourself because one of these people could potentially be your direct supervisor. They informed me of what the next steps would be and let me know to be on the lookout for a call from the manager of the office. I received a call a day or so later that let me know what the managers thought of me and my interview. Once given that feedback we set up a time for me to come in for my half day interview.

The half day was laid back, but remember that it is still an interview. I started with a recruiter who showed me some of the tools I would be using if offered a position. I stayed with them until the morning meeting. It was very interesting to be able to be a fly on the wall and see exactly what a typical work day would consist of. Shortly after the meeting I had several mini interviews with different managers. It was weird because unlike the previous interviews I did not receive immediate feedback. Once all of the mini interviews were over I went to a one-on-one lunch with the manager of the office to debrief. We discussed how I think things went and what the next steps would be from there.

Shortly after I was called back by the manager of the office and offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • What are some of your weaknesses, not including "I take on too much work" and "I don't know when to stop working"?   Answer Question
    No negotiation but everything was reasonable so I didn't see the need for negotiation.

Technical Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TEKsystems in September 2013.

One of the longest interview process I've encountered. First step is to apply online and if your resume/application gets selected, you will receive an email/phone call from the internal recruiter. Your first interview will be with the internal recruiter. Takes about 30-40 mins and it's nothing out of the norm. If you are selected to move on to the next step, you will then have a face to face interview with the Director of the branch you are applying for. The face to face interview was the easiest and most relaxed for me. The Director pretty much wants to know your personality. He will ask you questions from your childhood, high school, college and work life. Demonstrating diversity and perseverance will score you big points. This will last about 30mins to an hour. If the Director feels that you're a good fit, he will invite you back to do a 1/2 day interview with the company. The 1/2 day interview will last from 8-1:00pm. You will get a chance to see the day to day duties of the recruiters. You will first attend their morning meeting, then you will go into a panel interview that will consist of 2-3 Account Managers. The managers will have a list of behavioral questions they take turn asking you. All the questions will start with "Describe a time..., Tell me a time or Show me how you demonstrated." After the panel interview, you will then spend your time again with the recruiters. Around lunch time, one or two recruiters will take you out to lunch. It's a little more relaxed, but still keep in mind that they are still trying to feel you out so really show your personality and what you can contribute to the team. After lunch, your 1/2 day interview is pretty much over. The Director told me he will make a decision over the weekend and call me. This is the aggravating process; they will take their sweet time in the making the decision. So you will move fast in the interviewing process, but getting the job part will be the longest. Make sure you stay persistent and patient. Follow up with thank you emails and call the director. I finally got in touch with the Director and I was scheduled to have another lunch with him and an Account Manager for a final impression. After the lunch, I got a job offer about 3 days later. This company is really big on cultural fit. Each person you meet with must like you because you spend majority of your time working with each other.

Interview Questions
    • What is one ethical value you honored the most? And tell me a time where you have to bend that.   Answer Question
    Base salary plus commission. Not negotiable.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TEKsystems in August 2013.

The interview process was extremely normal. I was first contacted by phone to talk about the company and my goals and what not. Then they decided to have me in for an hour or so to better discuss the job and the company and their goals and your goals. After that you get called in for a half-day with the company to see what its about.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me why I see myself in sales which if you don't have any sales background its not as easy as you would think to answer so be prepared for that. Also, why you would make the company better. (Standard)   View Answer

Technical Recruiter Interview

Phone interview --> in-person interview 1 --> in-person interview 2 (three-hours one afternoon.)

This company is driven by competition and individuals with high levels of charisma. Everyone starts as a recruiter, but the pay is not good.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty straightforward interview. They always tell you, "There's no way to prepare for this interview..." but every interviewer likes to think that.   Answer Question

Did NOT want this job, and the pay was not commensurate with my ability.

Technical Recruiter Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TEKsystems.

30 minute IV with DBO for introduction.
    1/2 day interview including- panel iv (3 Account Managers), office shadow

none

Technical Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TEKsystems.

Others have it right - the interview process at TEKsystems is quite a long one. However, when you learn more about the company and the amount of time they spend training recruiters, it makes sense that this is so.

The process itself usually works like this: 1) call with internal recruiter 2) 1-on-1 with the DBO (Director of Business Operations) of the office you're interviewing for 3) a panel interview with 2+ Account Managers 4) job shadow followed by a social event with other staff.

TEK is BIG on culture, so a lot of what they are trying to figure out is this: "If we trained this person, would they fit with the vibe in our office and have the drive to earn?" I was told when I was first approached with an interview that anyone can be trained to do the job, so they work hard to find personality and cultural fits. Bear in mind that I had no strict sales experience before accepting the position, and was still offered a spot about a week after my final interview.

As a recent college grad with an extreme extrovert personality type, I felt that I fit in well with the other staff and enjoyed the time spent with them during interviews and the job shadow. The folks at my office are extremely energetic and work very hard; we're all incredibly driven and competitive. Despite this, everyone gets along well and I have yet to see some of the oft-grumbled about inner-office politicking, though your mileage may vary.

The biggest advice I can give is to be yourself and sell your personality. If it fits, great - if not, then you probably wouldn't have done very well at TEK anyway.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult professional conversation you've ever had and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Who inspires you?   Answer Question
    • What three words would your friends most commonly use to describe you?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. 30k+tiered commission

Technical Recruiter Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at TEKsystems.

Mostly hire through a referral or some other warm connection. First contact was with a CSS who set up a phone interview with the office DBO. He called me in the evening and we spoke for about an hour. The topics ranged from the basic what are you skills, goals and interests to questions about hobbies and school. The DBO called me three days later and asked me to come in for a panel interview. This interview was with one Account Manager and the DBO I phone screened with and another office's DBO. The rotated firing off questions and each came prepared with a copy of my resume and they all took copious notes. They asked questions that were covered on the phone, so consisetcy is important. It was recommended I come prepared with 5-10 questions, and that seemed to go over well. This lasted approx. one hour, then I was taken into the 'pit' and sat with two different Senior Recruiters, each for about 20 minutes. They had both been there 5+ years, and they both carried weight in terms of hiring. I then had to leave to return for an evening class, usually you are then taken out to lunch by the DBO/s. I was asked to return and go out to lunch with the two DBOs about a week and a half later. I asked what there reservations were and I was able to address all of their concerns. I was offered the job 4 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Describe and instance where you were in an uncomfortable situation at work with a co-worker or manager and how you dealt with the situation.   Answer Question
    Salary was not negotiable

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

This was the worst interview I've ever had and made me realize that I never want to work for this company or the director of this branch. I made it through the initial phone interview with a very nice girl who gave me a pretty good insight to the ins and outs of working as a recruiter. I felt very comfortable and prepared to take the next step, which was a 1 on 1 with the director of the branch (who would be my boss) and possibly another recruiter. So the day of the interview arrives and I get there 15 minutes early. I waited 30 minutes for the director to show up. Turns out I was interviewing with him and a newly promoted account manager. The interview turned sour quickly after it started. He was so unprofessional and asked me questions which delved into my personal life. Several times throughout the interview I almost felt as though he and the account manager were making fun of me. They kept looking at each other and and it seemed as they were trying hard not to laugh. I couldn't possibly tell what was so funny since I was professional and polite throughout the whole interview. Did they have a little something to drink beforehand?? I walked out of that interview wishing I never showed up... I wouldn't have wasted my time.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of the questions seemed like they were asked to stump the interviee. Also, the director pretty much told me that I wouldn't make commission my first 2 years and would have a base of 30K. I would need to be in the office from 7am and on some days wouldn't leave till 7pm, slaving away. No thanks.   Answer Question