TEKsystems

Updated Nov 28, 2014

3.1

66 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Technical Recruiter Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TEKsystems.

30 minute IV with DBO for introduction.
1/2 day interview including- panel iv (3 Account Managers), office shadow

none

Other Interview Reviews for TEKsystems

Technical Recruiter Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TEKsystems.

Others have it right - the interview process at TEKsystems is quite a long one. However, when you learn more about the company and the amount of time they spend training recruiters, it makes sense that this is so.

The process itself usually works like this: 1) call with internal recruiter 2) 1-on-1 with the DBO (Director of Business Operations) of the office you're interviewing for 3) a panel interview with 2+ Account Managers 4) job shadow followed by a social event with other staff.

TEK is BIG on culture, so a lot of what they are trying to figure out is this: "If we trained this person, would they fit with the vibe in our office and have the drive to earn?" I was told when I was first approached with an interview that anyone can be trained to do the job, so they work hard to find personality and cultural fits. Bear in mind that I had no strict sales experience before accepting the position, and was still offered a spot about a week after my final interview.

As a recent college grad with an extreme extrovert personality type, I felt that I fit in well with the other staff and enjoyed the time spent with them during interviews and the job shadow. The folks at my office are extremely energetic and work very hard; we're all incredibly driven and competitive. Despite this, everyone gets along well and I have yet to see some of the oft-grumbled about inner-office politicking, though your mileage may vary.

The biggest advice I can give is to be yourself and sell your personality. If it fits, great - if not, then you probably wouldn't have done very well at TEK anyway.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most difficult professional conversation you've ever had and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Who inspires you?   Answer Question
    • What three words would your friends most commonly use to describe you?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate. 30k+tiered commission

Technical Recruiter Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at TEKsystems.

Mostly hire through a referral or some other warm connection. First contact was with a CSS who set up a phone interview with the office DBO. He called me in the evening and we spoke for about an hour. The topics ranged from the basic what are you skills, goals and interests to questions about hobbies and school. The DBO called me three days later and asked me to come in for a panel interview. This interview was with one Account Manager and the DBO I phone screened with and another office's DBO. The rotated firing off questions and each came prepared with a copy of my resume and they all took copious notes. They asked questions that were covered on the phone, so consisetcy is important. It was recommended I come prepared with 5-10 questions, and that seemed to go over well. This lasted approx. one hour, then I was taken into the 'pit' and sat with two different Senior Recruiters, each for about 20 minutes. They had both been there 5+ years, and they both carried weight in terms of hiring. I then had to leave to return for an evening class, usually you are then taken out to lunch by the DBO/s. I was asked to return and go out to lunch with the two DBOs about a week and a half later. I asked what there reservations were and I was able to address all of their concerns. I was offered the job 4 days later.

Interview Questions
    • Describe and instance where you were in an uncomfortable situation at work with a co-worker or manager and how you dealt with the situation.   Answer Question
    Salary was not negotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

This was the worst interview I've ever had and made me realize that I never want to work for this company or the director of this branch. I made it through the initial phone interview with a very nice girl who gave me a pretty good insight to the ins and outs of working as a recruiter. I felt very comfortable and prepared to take the next step, which was a 1 on 1 with the director of the branch (who would be my boss) and possibly another recruiter. So the day of the interview arrives and I get there 15 minutes early. I waited 30 minutes for the director to show up. Turns out I was interviewing with him and a newly promoted account manager. The interview turned sour quickly after it started. He was so unprofessional and asked me questions which delved into my personal life. Several times throughout the interview I almost felt as though he and the account manager were making fun of me. They kept looking at each other and and it seemed as they were trying hard not to laugh. I couldn't possibly tell what was so funny since I was professional and polite throughout the whole interview. Did they have a little something to drink beforehand?? I walked out of that interview wishing I never showed up... I wouldn't have wasted my time.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of the questions seemed like they were asked to stump the interviee. Also, the director pretty much told me that I wouldn't make commission my first 2 years and would have a base of 30K. I would need to be in the office from 7am and on some days wouldn't leave till 7pm, slaving away. No thanks.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at TEKsystems in November 2012.

TEKsystems is looking for people who want to eventually move into a sales role. Communicating that is essential for attaining the role. The process generally moves from phone screen with the internal, to onsite with the director of the office, to a half-day panel interview with recruiters and account managers from the office.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be in sales/what do you know about sales?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, all compensation is set in stone for entry level candidates. I have heard of other recruiters with industry experience being able to negotiate for a higher base.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TEKsystems in October 2012.

They first started by sending me an email telling me what my interest in the position and company were. They then emailed me back and scheduled a phone interview for about a week later. The interview basically consisted of different questions that had nothing to do with the position and mostly consisted of personal questions like why do i want to work at TEKsystems and what would make me a fit for the postion.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at TEKsystems in September 2012.

I pursued Teksystems and met the DBO for coffee to discuss recruiting opportunities. The initial conversation went well and he invited me to spend a 1/2 day at their office - this consisted of having 1:1 interviews with another Recruiter and Account Manager. I spent the rest of the day "shadowing" recruiters in the "pit". The 1/2 day was a success. A week goes by and I get a call from the DBO that they'd like me to join their team and he sends me the offer letter shortly thereafter. Good news! My husband & I decide to celebrate that Friday night. As we are having our celebration dinner, I get a phone call from the DBO regretfully rescinding the offer because corporate did not approve his headcount. Great. He followed up with asking if I'd consider recruiting for a differentTeksystems office since they had an immediate opening and I would be a great fit. As a new grad with no other job opportunities lined up, I accepted. Apparently, I have to go through the interview process again.

Round 2: I arrive at the other Teksystems office 15 mins prior to my scheduled interview and waited an hour. When they were ready for me, I spent an hour with the DBO and Sr. Account Manager; followed by a 1/2 day with the recruiters (this was actually a good experience. I enjoyed seeing the recruiters in action and had a better idea of what the job entailed). They asked pretty generic questions: How did you hear about us? Why do you want to work for us? What is your 5 year goal and 10 year goal? How do you expect to achieve that? What would your former co-workers say about you? Have you been in a position where you did not see eye-to-eye with your manager? If so, how did you handle that situation?

All in all, I thought the interview was successful and was told to call the DBO in a week for an update. I called - left a message & sent follow up email. No answer. Week #2 - same thing, no answer. 1 month later, the DBO actually answered my phone call and told me they were still interviewing and a decision has not been made, but to check back again next week. I check in with them on a weekly basis and finally received a (legit) job offer ... a couple months later. (I later learned the DBO likes it when an applicant is aggressive). I accepted and had to relocate at my own expense. Salary was not negotiable. $30K + commission. They were proud of the fact that many recruiters & account managers make $100K+ after being there only a few years.

Update: I stayed with this company for several years and was also a "contest winner" during most of my tenure. They hire like-minded people. Very big on "cultural fit" and building strong personal relationships with co-workers -- some may refer to this as being "cult like". Also, the company's ethical practices may be questionable -- they really push you to "beat back" the consultant on their pay rate while pushing your client to pay higher market bill rates -- in an effort to drive up the "spread" -- i.e. profit for the office (this determines not only your own commission pay out, but also that of your DBO ... so you can imagine the motive here).

Conclusion: All in all, it was a good working experience for a new grad (new & naive). Honestly, I couldn't take the phony atmosphere and the "you gotta fake it to make it" mentality any longer. I made my six figures, gained some experience and met some good people, but ultimately I grew out of their culture. It wasn't for me any more. Thanks for the opportunity Tek, but thank goodness I've moved on.

Interview Questions
    • Have you been in a position where you did not see eye-to-eye with your manager? If so, how did you handle that situation?   Answer Question
    • What motivates you?   Answer Question
    No negotiation & relocate at my own expense. Apparently everyone starts out at $30K (later learned that this is not true as DBO has discretion to pay higher salary or "lock in" at a certain commission tier for 6 months or so). EVERYTHING with this company is subjective.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at TEKsystems in September 2012.

I applied for two locations: Sacramento, CA and San Jose, CA. Both of them went terrible: First with Sacramento location, I had a phone screen interview scheduled. The internal recruiter did not reach out to me until I called her myself first an HOUR later the interview was scheduled. She picked up and we had to reschedule. So I waited. When the second phone interview came around, she called me late again, IN the car while she was driving (I could totally hear the road wind). Asked me a couple questions regarding my previous experiences, and whether I was sales oriented. Then she asked me to write up a paragraph or so and email her about why I want to pursue this position and sales career. So I wrote up a paragraph and emailed her - no response. Called her, emailed her couple weeks later, no response.

So I applied to another branch in San Jose. Different recruiter this time and was on time for the phone interview. Asked me similar questions and couple personal questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at TEKsystems in September 2012.

The hiring and interview process, although very lengthy, was not as difficult or as intimidating as I initially expected. I met with two Account Managers, who apparently thought I was good enough to meet with the DBO. From there, I had a Half-Day interview and met/shadowed a number of employees. Then, after "passing" that portion, I met with the person who was to be my initial AM. After that, the DBO offered me a position. The reason it took so long was because I began the interview 5 months before I received a formal offer. It seemed to drag on and on, which I didn't enjoy. However, during the first few weeks of work, I felt very comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • One of the most difficult questions I was asked was "How are you going to overcome difficult situations presented without experiencing an overload of stress?"   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. No matter where you lived, you received the same salary and commission structure. 30k with the potential for commission and bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at TEKsystems.

I got a call from an account manager who invited me for an onsite interview the following week