TELUS

TELUS Senior Business Analyst Interview Questions

3.5

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TELUS.

First of all: there are NO easy interviews at TELUS. Every interview I have had has been long, intense, and gruelling.

The first interview I had (after 2 unsuccessful phone screenings and one successful one) was 4 hours long, performed over video conference, and incorporated the dreaded behavioural based questions, situational questions, experience based questions, and a case study. I got lucky with the interview though, because many people had to do TWO of these.

After about two years at my first job, I began applying for other positions. I had 4 interviews for seperate jobs, all which were very difficult.

The first one put me through a 2.5 hour long interview with behavioral based questions. The second interview consisted of a case (expected presentation time: 1 hour) that was sent 16 hours before the meeting. I had to create an entire marketing/business readiness plan which ended up consisting of 27 meaty slides that took about 10 hours to do. I even had it vetted from many peers, and I still didnt get the job because someone beat me out.

This happened THREE more times, until I finally got a job.

Now I am applying for another position, also consisting of a case (including a marketing plan). This is the first of 3 interview passes that this position will require. I have no doubt that they will be as intense as the last.

Interview Questions
  • Business case: Create a Marketing and Business Readiness plan, including risks, issues, timelines, action plans, stakeholders, and post-mortems, including quantitative and qualitative analysis for each point that is noted. You have 1.5 hours of presentation time, and you will be given the case sometime in the day before.   Answer Question
Negotiate when you are an external candidate only. People getting positions within the company have set limits to how much they can go up. Start high, continue high. Start low, and you will always have a lower salary than the next guy.

Other Interview Reviews for TELUS

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TELUS in March 2012.

The interview process supposedly had three steps:
    1) A pre-screen interview
    2) Hiring manager interview
    3) Final interview

I applied to the role, received a pre-screen interview one week later, and subsequently was asked by the hiring manager to have a brief conversation with him about one week after that. The subsequent "conversation" went very well, and I was told that I would be contacted one week later to schedule a formal second interview.

That week came and went with no contact. I was patient and waited one month, at which point I emailed the hiring manager to follow up about how the process was proceeding.

I again waited two weeks, at which point I emailed the recruiter asking for some follow up.

AGAIN, I waited another two weeks, which I phoned the recruiter. She did not answer, so I left a detailed voicemail expressing my interest in the position, and asking her to call me back, indicating that I had been promised a second formal interview with the hiring manager.

This time I waited six weeks, as surely something was up - maybe somebody was ill? Maybe the position was delayed? I was trying to respect their time as much as possible. I then phoned the recruiter one more time, and was told that they had already hired for the role.

Three months with no contact is UNACCEPTABLE. It demonstrates complete disrespect for the candidate, and frankly, I would not want to work for this organization after that level of performance by the recruiter and hiring manager. Surely, Telus is a cushy organization without the high performing, ambitious culture that I desire. It has absolutely nothing to do with being rejected from the role, as I have been rejected from my fair share in the past, and am now working in a more senior role with higher pay that I enjoy quite a lot.

Advice to senior management: Create some hiring metrics, such as "time between contacts", as this problem plagues your organization, as my friends have told me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you questioned authority, and explain why.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TELUS in September 2011.

Work culture is excellent and staff are talented individuals. The interview process was a good experience with HR and panel interviewers. Questions were very challenging and it's important to do some research and study into the background of the company and the position and the areas of knowledge surrounding the responsibilities of the position.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you failed and what you learned from it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TELUS in August 2010.

It was started from a screening phone interview by HR manager. 2 weeks later i got a phone interview from hiring manager, heavily on technical side. Another two weeks i got an on-site interview with the hiring manager, co-woker and director. Done a case interview, lots of experience & situation based questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me all the feedbacks your former employers gave you?   Answer Question
    • What's the animal in Telus's latest commerical?   View Answer