TGS Management Company

6 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TGS Management Company.

Interview Details – Scheduling was smooth. Two phone interviews were scheduled in two weeks. The second interviewer called 30 minutes late, we had the chance to talk only 30 minutes. Both interviews went well, but they decided not to move forward. The questions were not that difficult, not as difficult as my current employer's screening questions. I did not understand why they did not follow up. I am not sure if they really need or want to hire. They've been continuously posting positions for years. I guess, they could comfortably hire only by referral from one of their employees.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TGS Management Company in August 2013.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview first which went well. Called me later in the week to schedule the second phone interview, they said they have 2 phone interviews for everyone before an onsite interview. The second interview went even better, but then they informed me that they did not want to proceed, but they will touch base with me again in a few months!!
I doubt this place really intends to hire, or maybe they are looking for someone who can walk on water.

Interview Question – there was none. There was only a math question that I needed a bit of help to answer.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Position In Irvine, Ca Interview

Position In Irvine, Ca
Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at TGS Management Company.

Interview Details – Multiple phone interviews, onsite interview, video conferences.

Interview Question – Asked some interesting math and problem solving questions.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Trade Analyst Interview

Trade Analyst
Princeton, NJ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at TGS Management Company in April 2013.

Interview Details – Very long tedious process. They ask all kinds of finance and brain teaser questions. BEWARE! They are not looking to hire. They keep an eye out for talent but only make unanimous decisions so they end up not doing anything but they will drag you through an entire process. Very Shady company.

Interview Question – They asked various confidence interval questions with 95% and 99% confidence.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Made a great offer and then took it back. Very Shady.

TGS Management Company Talent Acquisition responded to this review

Aug 9, 2013

In one instance we withdrew a conditional offer after we found material discrepancies between the resume and the background check. We take pride in the integrity of our hiring process, which is ... More

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Quantitative Researcher
Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at TGS Management Company in September 2012.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews before on-site. Phone interview questions are conventional, brain teasers are like how much cubics have colored face when cut from a big cubic.etc, The on-site interview is quite intensive, Brain teasers, your past experience, computer system questions are asked. You have to make sure everybody likes you to get the offer, I think. People are polite and one of the funder talks quite elegantly.

Interview Question – How to generate a gaussian distribution with rand()   View Answers (2)

Model and Algorithm Researcher Interview

Model and Algorithm Researcher
Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TGS Management Company in January 2012.

Interview Details – TGS is a quantitative investment firm based in Irvine, CA. I found the position through an on-campus job posting. They oddly provided a Gmail account as contact information and did not have a website at the time so they seemed sketchy at first but the people I spoke with were clearly well-qualified so it was just a function of the firm being very secretive. Based on the job posting and speaking with the interviewers, the firm has about 30 "research and software professionals" in their main office in Irvine, CA and they have been around for "over two decades." The interview process was the standard quantitative finance phone interview routine. They took 1-2 weeks between rounds to get back to me and they told me there would be around 3-phone rounds before a fly-out to Irvine. One of the interviewers had been a chemistry professor at UC Irvine before moving to TGS.

Interview Questions

• For any prime number larger than 3, prove that p^2 - 1 is always divisible by 24.   View Answer
  • If you take an 8x8 cube and dip it in paint, how many of the 8^2 cubes do not have paint on them?   View Answer

Worked for TGS Management Company? Contribute to the Community!