TGS Management Company Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2014

3.7

Software Engineer/Quant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online – interviewed at TGS Management Company in June 2014.

Even though I haven't had a chance to talk to them in person, they look like a great team to work for. Very professional from the beginning - I submitted my resume to their HR department and they called me the following day. We set up a phone interview for the same week, then another one. Both interviewers were very well prepared, the questions were not too easy and not too hard, they gave me hints when I was struggling, and we had nice conversations that lasted well over an hour both times. Even their HR person has written a book about job search, it is obvious they have very high standards for new employees. They decided not to continue the process, but the whole experience was very valuable for me.

Interview Questions
    • Write numbers 2^1000 and 5^1000 in a decimal notation, next to each other. How many digits does the newly obtained number have?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TGS Management Company.

Scheduling was smooth. Two phone interviews were scheduled in two weeks. The second interviewer called 30 minutes late, we had the chance to talk only 30 minutes. Both interviews went well, but they decided not to move forward. The questions were not that difficult, not as difficult as my current employer's screening questions. I did not understand why they did not follow up. I am not sure if they really need or want to hire. They've been continuously posting positions for years. I guess, they could comfortably hire only by referral from one of their employees.

Position In Irvine, Ca Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at TGS Management Company.

Multiple phone interviews, onsite interview, video conferences.

Interview Questions
    • Asked some interesting math and problem solving questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TGS Management Company in August 2013.

Had a phone interview first which went well. Called me later in the week to schedule the second phone interview, they said they have 2 phone interviews for everyone before an onsite interview. The second interview went even better, but then they informed me that they did not want to proceed, but they will touch base with me again in a few months!!
    I doubt this place really intends to hire, or maybe they are looking for someone who can walk on water.

Interview Questions
    • there was none. There was only a math question that I needed a bit of help to answer.   Answer Question

Trade Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at TGS Management Company in April 2013.

Very long tedious process. They ask all kinds of finance and brain teaser questions. BEWARE! They are not looking to hire. They keep an eye out for talent but only make unanimous decisions so they end up not doing anything but they will drag you through an entire process. Very Shady company.

Interview Questions
    • They asked various confidence interval questions with 95% and 99% confidence.   View Answer
    Made a great offer and then took it back. Very Shady.

TGS Management Company Response

Aug 9, 2013Talent Acquisition

In one instance we withdrew a conditional offer after we found material discrepancies between the resume and the background check. We take pride in the integrity of our hiring process, which is ... More

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at TGS Management Company in September 2012.

Two phone interviews before on-site. Phone interview questions are conventional, brain teasers are like how much cubics have colored face when cut from a big cubic.etc, The on-site interview is quite intensive, Brain teasers, your past experience, computer system questions are asked. You have to make sure everybody likes you to get the offer, I think. People are polite and one of the funder talks quite elegantly.

Model and Algorithm Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TGS Management Company in January 2012.

TGS is a quantitative investment firm based in Irvine, CA. I found the position through an on-campus job posting. They oddly provided a Gmail account as contact information and did not have a website at the time so they seemed sketchy at first but the people I spoke with were clearly well-qualified so it was just a function of the firm being very secretive. Based on the job posting and speaking with the interviewers, the firm has about 30 "research and software professionals" in their main office in Irvine, CA and they have been around for "over two decades." The interview process was the standard quantitative finance phone interview routine. They took 1-2 weeks between rounds to get back to me and they told me there would be around 3-phone rounds before a fly-out to Irvine. One of the interviewers had been a chemistry professor at UC Irvine before moving to TGS.

Interview Questions
    • For any prime number larger than 3, prove that p^2 - 1 is always divisible by 24.   View Answer
    • If you take an 8x8 cube and dip it in paint, how many of the 8^2 cubes do not have paint on them?   View Answer