TIAA-CREF Interview Questions in Denver, CO

3.1

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Denver, CO).

Interview

The hiring process is less than desirable, very long and tedious. They didn't ask anything out of the ordinary. You usually have to interview 2-3 people within the department that is scheduled the same day at different time. Some were off the hiring location so there was also a phone call involved.

Interview Questions

• They were the pretty standard questions, nothing unusual.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I believe you can negotiate some, however I was pleased with my offer and did not have to negotiate.

TIAA-CREF Wealth Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Denver, CO) in June 2014.

Interview

Started with an initial phone interview with an inexperienced HR person who was disorganized but friendly enough. Then was able to leap frog another phone interview and go into an in-person interview onsite. Interviewer onsite was churning through multiple interviews that day "hard to keep track of all of you". Person had never worked anywhere but TIAA and appeared to have a bias against people from the independent advisor channel. Wanted 'coachable" individuals which I translated into people that could be told what to do and that weren't extremely talented. Manager was not overly impressive and I got the feeling that he wanted people that would not threaten his abilities, especially after I saw and overheard some of their advisors talking with an existing client. They appear to want to grow rapidly but don't know how to go about it with existing management team having no outside experience.

Interview Questions

• Avoid standard responses or expect to be cut off and/or disrespected and talked over   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Denver, CO).

Interview

Common questions based on past work experience.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever disagree with your immediate Supervisor and how did you resolve the issue.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant, TIAA-CREF Way Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Denver, CO) in May 2013.

Interview

1st round of interviews with HR, then 2nd and 3rd rounds with the MD and other team members. 1st round was behavioral, 2nd round was focused on case interviews, 3rd round on tools and methodologies.

Beware, I was told that they have a very long recruiting process because due to compliance they need to interview a certain number of people for each position. After I interviewed, they interviewed others for the next 4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• 4 case studies: 2 were specific to TIAA-CREF's business and 2 were random   Answer Question

Offer was extended was too low in terms of salary. They knew my previous salary, but I was never warned that the range my be considerably lower. Unbeknownst to me at the time it was extended, it was 100% non-negotiable. There was zero sense of urgency from HR to receive an answer. They also did not know who in the team would be my supervisor nor did they know if I would be spending my first week in Denver or in Charlotte, where the majority of the team is located. The offer letter took 3 days to arrive, versus the 24 hours I had been promised. During the offer process, I never got a sense that anyone was excited to have me join. No one from the business team reached out. Not even the HR person mentioned in the letter and assigned to help me through the process called.

My interview schedule was very hurried. I had less than 12 hrs notice between 2nd and 3rd round and between the 1st person and 2nd person in the 3rd round. I was constantly told that they needed to move fast because they had pending projects. But then, after my last interview, 5 weeks passed before an offer was extended.

My recruiter was also very lackadaisical. There were periods of 2 and 3 weeks with zero communication, even though I was following up once a week. She took a long weekend between the day I received the offer and the day I had to reply. Her voice mail was full at 4pm on her departure day and was still full past mid-day the day she returned. The day I rejected the offer, I left her a VM at 9:20am. When she called to check in at 1:40pm, she still had not listened to it.

Their time from offer acceptance to 1st day is about 20 days. They do background and drug tests. Again, zero sense of urgency.

All in all, I had too many red flags and was just not excited about the $$.

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Denver, CO) in February 2013.

Interview

the interview isn't too bad. They want to make sure you can deal with clients and the things they throw at you. The interview is held by your manager or other managers of the role. Everyone there is generally very easy going, as long as you are good and get your job done, don't complain. Takes a long time for them to make decision

wanted something new and different. More client facing, versus at desk.

Registered Representative -inbound Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Denver, CO) in January 2013.

Interview

30 minute phone interview followed by an appointment with 2 interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Denver, CO) in December 2012.

Interview

One interview with recruiter, one with local team manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Denver, CO) in October 2012.

Interview

Two mangers interview, standard questions were asked, had to simulate answering a customer call

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is a HR rep who makes the initial contact, I made the mistake of saying the salary mentioned was ok, after that there wasn't any negotiation. I assumed that would come after the interview. Don't make the same mistake.

Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Denver, CO) in September 2012.

Interview

phone interview is pretty easy...this come first. Then, they will do a face to face interview (usually with a supervisor and a director). they tend to be pretty tough in the interviews. they like concrete examples. they are very sales oriented so they like to ask sales related questions.

Interview Questions

• explain a situation where you had to deal with an upset client and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

did not negotiate, probably could have

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Denver, CO) in April 2011.

Interview

Recruiter called and did phone interview/screening. This normally might have been 15-30 mins but in my case it was about an hour. It consisted of basic questions about my background and qualifications, informing me about the potential pay, shifts, job description, etc. Then HR staff called to set up in-person interview.

I interviewed with two managers who went through several behavioral-style questions (similar to those posted May 12 by someone in Charlotte). They also did a role-play where I had to spontaneously sell them an IRA. Overall, everyone in the process was friendly and professional. The interview questions were straightforward and, if you know what you're talking about (i.e. have experience in the industry) then they were pretty easy to talk through.

The only complaint I'd have is that in my case I had a background item that I'd disclosed upfront with each of the people I interviewed with. They said they'd checked to see if it was an issue and it didn't seem to be. After the in-person interview I got feedback that I'd done well. Then a week or two later was told that their compliance department had nixed me due to the disclosure item. It would have saved all of us a lot of time to have that run up through compliance beforehand.

Interview Questions

• We've walked into your office. Sell us on why we should invest now in an IRA.   1 Answer
    • What's more important: service or sales?   1 Answer