TIAA-CREF Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview

Typical interview process: phone interview + on site. All the questions were very much predictable--mostly behavioral plus limited technical questions. If you have have experiences interviewing with other financial service firms before, you should by no means be surprised. With that being said, I do think there could be differences for different interviewers. About 10+ days after the interview, I was notified for receiving an offer.

The process was not very tough per se, but I have to say that the efficiency of TIAA-CREF can surely be improved. Even being a total outsider, I was still able to observe some problems within the firm's structure.

Interview Questions

• Just make sure you know your stuff beforehand. Also, it is a good idea to know more about the firm. Do your research.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview

Applied online and they called me 2.5 weeks later to schedule interview with recruiter for a couple of days later. From the 1st call with recruiter until the time I found out I did not get the job, was just under 4 months. I interviewed with the MD via phone, then several other calls were scheduled with peers and partners. After passing extensive background testing, they flew me out where I met the MD and several others for interviews. The last interview was with a peer and they told me they would call back the next week to schedule next steps. I didn't hear anything the next week, so I called the MD once a week for the next 3 weeks after that. 1 month from the date of the last interview, I finally contacted the HR rep who said "Oh, they haven't contacted you yet? Yea, they aren't moving forward with you at this time." No feedback--nothing. I called the MD again and left another message thanking him for the time and opportunity and asking for a call back for feedback on anything that I could improve--never heard back. All in all, I ended up doing 8-9 different interviews and speaking with around 7-8 different people--it was the same interview every single time.

I rate the process as negative due to the long process of stringing me along and the inefficiency of the interview process. Also, letting me wait a month with no feedback at all even when I was calling was disrespectful--especially after all the grace I showed in entertaining the same exact interview with so many different people over the course of the first 3+ months and the time I took to fly out to meet them.

In the short email from the recruiter telling me that they weren't moving forward with me, she also said, " If you see other things that peek your interest, please let me know, as I will be more than happy to assist." I replied about another position and stated the following concerning it, "the description is not extremely thorough, but I'd be willing to talk to someone about it if you'd like to set that up?" Her reply was, " My recommendation is to review the website, and let me know how I can help you." So, that wasn't helpful at all... When I state that I already reviewed the website, her reply was to review the website. I assume these must just be form copy/paste replies.

I'm rating the interviews as average, but the process itself was very difficult.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

i applied online, four weeks later, i receive an interview in office. This is a two to one interview. just some behavior questions. like what kind of opionin you want to get after this internship.

Internal Audit Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (New York, NY).

Interview

Long interview process. Recruiter screening phone interview. Then phone interview with hiring manager. Then a round robin interview with 5-6 people on the team. Everyone acts like your best friend but after making you jump through hoops, they'll stop replying to emails if you're no longer in the running for the job. The least they could do is tell candidates they're no longer being considered rather than string them along. Very unprofessional underneath the facade of camaraderie.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when... (a lot of behavioral questions)   Answer Question

Financial Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Lewisville, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted on LinkedIn and asked if I would be interested in interviewing for the position. After a phone interview with the LinkedIn recruiter, my resume was forwarded to an on-site recruiter. I did not hear from that recruiter until 2 weeks later. After setting up a time to speak with her in more detail, I never received a call. Two weeks later, I got a message from a recruiter asking if I would be interested in the position. After explaining that I had already been through that process, I was asked to fill out an online application and paperwork for a background check and an on-site interview was scheduled. The interview itself wasn't bad. I felt that I did a great job answering the (behavioral) questions. Today marks three weeks since my interview, and I haven't heard a word back from the company (even after emailing my recruiter a week ago to follow-up).

Interview Questions

• What has your recruiter discussed with you so far?   1 Answer

Individual Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2015.

Interview

Telephonic then in person, with a person at the headquarters . Took about 20 minutes relatively informal a lot of behavioral type questions trying to understand me as a person and how I think, then set up in person interview with person in the office I would be working.

Non- Registered Financial Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Lewisville, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

There is a virtual job interview, background check, brief interview with HR, and a face-to-face interview with two onsite managers. The administrative assistant did not greet me, which I found a bit odd.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to assist an irate customer.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Iselin, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Iselin, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

I was encouraged to apply for the position after career fair and applied through my university career services. I was contacted after a week for an interview and was notified of my candidacy after 2-3 weeks. The interview was a two on one interview, one person was on the business side and the other was on the IT side. I declined because I got an offer that was a better fit for me.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite class and least favorite class? Why?   Answer Question
    • Sell me an application that you have on your phone and convince me not to download another application on your phone.   Answer Question
    • What do you know about TIAA-CREF?   Answer Question

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview

This is a difficult process, it includes a role play, multiple peer interviews, and multiple management interviews. There were multiple levels of interviews with other advisors, what isn't clear during those interviews is how much weight is given to each one. I now know that at any point your application can be derailed by any one individual you speak to, and they compare notes so a candidate should take notes during each interview.

Interview Questions

• The role play scenario is typically the most difficult for candidates.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations were tough, but I discovered later that I had done better than average. They are notoriously secretive about salaries and bonuses.

Application

I applied online – interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview

Had a 30 minute phone interview with HR and was called back 6 weeks later to interview. Met with 2 very nice ladies. It was not a formal interview, mainly a 3 way discussion. Started off with "tell me about yourself" then just a regular discussion, no questions and no note taking. I knew I was not getting the job before I left. One lady said"Good luck to you" and the other said "if you don't hear anything back from HR, it's not because I didn't follow up".Got the standard thanks for your interest email a week later.

Interview Questions

• Spent time preparing for interview questions and researching the company. No interview questions asked, just a discussion.   Answer Question