TIAA-CREF Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.9

Senior Internal Control Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (New York, NY) in December 2010.

Interview

I interviewed with a Manager and Director and was pleased with the questions that were relavent to the job

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They negotiated very successfully in favor of the company.

Software Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Charlotte, NC) in May 2009.

Interview

Initial phone screens (3).

Interview Questions

• Manager was confrontational about specific aspects of technology. Specific question around a "Search Engine" in which manager stated "expert knowledge" on how it worked. However, having known the authors that designed it, I disagreed. Manager was immediately upset that anyone would question his knowledge. This is a trend - the same position has been open for 4 years now.   Answer Question

IT Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at TIAA-CREF (Charlotte, NC) in June 2013.

Interview

Horrible experience as these people are crazy. They expected me to devote the rest of my life to them even though I was interviewing for a contract position. If they want a candidate who is going to commit to the job long term, they need to be offering benefits, salary, etc. Their expectations are very unreasonable for the level of pay and commitment they are making.

Consultant - Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Charlotte, NC) in June 2013.

Interview

Very direct. Excellent interview because the manager researched my background which showed interest in me as a candidate.

Senior Consultant, TIAA-CREF Way Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Denver, CO) in May 2013.

Interview

1st round of interviews with HR, then 2nd and 3rd rounds with the MD and other team members. 1st round was behavioral, 2nd round was focused on case interviews, 3rd round on tools and methodologies. Beware, I was told that they have a very long recruiting process because due to compliance they need to interview a certain number of people for each position. After I interviewed, they interviewed others for the next 4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• 4 case studies: 2 were specific to TIAA-CREF's business and 2 were random   Answer Question

Offer was extended was too low in terms of salary. They knew my previous salary, but I was never warned that the range my be considerably lower. Unbeknownst to me at the time it was extended, it was 100% non-negotiable. There was zero sense of urgency from HR to receive an answer. They also did not know who in the team would be my supervisor nor did they know if I would be spending my first week in Denver or in Charlotte, where the majority of the team is located. The offer letter took 3 days to arrive, versus the 24 hours I had been promised. During the offer process, I never got a sense that anyone was excited to have me join. No one from the business team reached out. Not even the HR person mentioned in the letter and assigned to help me through the process called. My interview schedule was very hurried. I had less than 12 hrs notice between 2nd and 3rd round and between the 1st person and 2nd person in the 3rd round. I was constantly told that they needed to move fast because they had pending projects. But then, after my last interview, 5 weeks passed before an offer was extended. My recruiter was also very lackadaisical. There were periods of 2 and 3 weeks with zero communication, even though I was following up once a week. She took a long weekend between the day I received the offer and the day I had to reply. Her voice mail was full at 4pm on her departure day and was still full past mid-day the day she returned. The day I rejected the offer, I left her a VM at 9:20am. When she called to check in at 1:40pm, she still had not listened to it. Their time from offer acceptance to 1st day is about 20 days. They do background and drug tests. Again, zero sense of urgency. All in all, I had too many red flags and was just not excited about the $$.

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview

This is a difficult process, it includes a role play, multiple peer interviews, and multiple management interviews. There were multiple levels of interviews with other advisors, what isn't clear during those interviews is how much weight is given to each one. I now know that at any point your application can be derailed by any one individual you speak to, and they compare notes so a candidate should take notes during each interview.

Interview Questions

• The role play scenario is typically the most difficult for candidates.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations were tough, but I discovered later that I had done better than average. They are notoriously secretive about salaries and bonuses.

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview

One of the worst interview processes I have ever been through. HR Department is completely incompetent and disorganized. The whole process took over 3 months. After passing the initial phone screening and first round interview I heard from HR that I was a finalist. I tried to set up a second round interview however HR went silent. Tried emailing and calling HR for 2 weeks, but nothing. Finally received an email after 3 weeks, giving me a case analysis to complete for the interview and gave me a grouping of time slots to choose from. After the interview I was told I would hear back in the next week or two...nothing. Around 3 weeks after the interview I tried contacting HR looking for an update as I was beginning to get interviews at other firms, however no response. By this point I realized I wasnt getting the job, however the least they could do after this 3 month interview process was send a rejection email, or at the very least respond to one of my emails or phone calls. Here it is 6 weeks later and still no response.

Interview Questions

• They proved me with a detailed case analysis in which I had to do a 2 page write up   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in March 2014.

Interview

First, there is a phone interview. They ask general questions about your resume and then a logic question. For the second round of interviews, you have four separate interviews which are a mixture of video conference interviews or in-person interviews. During this second round, you are either being interviewed by an individual or a small group of people. All in all, the process between the first phone interview and finding out whether you got the job took about three weeks.

Interview Questions

• Logic question regarding a skyscraper in NY.   1 Answer

Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Denver, CO) in September 2012.

Interview

phone interview is pretty easy...this come first. Then, they will do a face to face interview (usually with a supervisor and a director). they tend to be pretty tough in the interviews. they like concrete examples. they are very sales oriented so they like to ask sales related questions.

Interview Questions

• explain a situation where you had to deal with an upset client and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

did not negotiate, probably could have

Financial Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview

Typically a phone interview followed by an in person interview with one or two managers. This will be followed by another phone call with an offer if selected. Very comfortable environment to interview in. Do be prepared and ask plenty of questions. Take the time to learn about the company ahead of time. TIAA-CREF is not a public company.