TIAA-CREF

Updated Oct 26, 2014
Updated Oct 26, 2014

2.9

Summer Internship Interview

I initially applied for a summer internship at this company at a job fair at my college, then received a call from the admin asking to come in for a interview. The interview process itself was straightforward. The interviewer was polite, articulate, and professional. The questions were of the common stock, albeit modified to reflect my position (college student with no prior work experience rather than someone who has held jobs before) "What was your least favorite class and why," etc.

Then they promised to keep in touch after the interview - that they will let all interviewees know the final decision either in the evening or the following day. When that did not happen, I emailed them after about a week asking for a quick status update, and never received an answer.

It was the first job interview in my life. I had just finished my first year of college, and as my parents do not work in the corporate world, I had little idea of what to expect outside of what I read online. Although I have been told that such an experience is common among job seekers, I found it a very unprofessional and even rude way to behave, especially towards young students. It was not the missed opportunity that bothered me as much as this callous manner in which I was treated. Perhaps it was the same with all the other students who were interviewed. If an employee can be bothered to show up, surely the employer can take a minute out of their day to send a mass email to all interviewees "Sorry, you did not get the job, better luck next time." People deserve to know where they stand - should really go without saying.

Now I have a great internship at a software firm which had turned into a wonderful part-time job, going on to open many opportunities for me - including mentorships with top-level executives at Fortune 500 companies. I am still in college, but my career future is looking bright. I would never even consider a job offer from TIAA-CREF, because this interview opened much insight into how this company operates - specifically, how they treat people. As an organization that claims to be (partially) nonprofit - "for" the people, that is very troubling indeed.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you pick this class as your least favorite class?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Standard hiring and interview process. My job was posted on an external site. Interviews are conducted by an HR person first. Then the hiring manager and his/her manager.

Marketing Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Met with two hiring managers

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation when you had to go beyond the requirements to finish the project   Answer Question

Individual Consultant (Inbound ) Interview

The interview process was ok

Recruiter Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

2-3 phone interviews with Directors and one face to face. Fairly straight forward questions with no surprises. Be prepared to understand the company products and history.

straight foward - seem to put their best foot forward. pays well.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Email application, phone interview, in-person interview

Interview Questions
    • I didn't think any specific question asked was unexpected or out of the ordinary. However, they did request demonstrations of programming knowledge, excel knowledge, etc.   Answer Question

Public Relations Specialist Interview

My resume was passed to someone in their team through an outside contact. They passed it to the hiring manager, who rang me for a half an hour interview by phone. It was a friendly, low-key interview, focussed on exchanging detailed information about my responsibilities in past jobs and the position open in their company. They asked the generic 'tell me about yourself to this point.'

Interview Questions
    • Were you /are you paid on an hourly basis?   View Answer

I'm actually still in the interview process

Actuarial Analyst Interview

On-Campus interview

Interview Questions
    • there's a small test. asked you to model the water usage in an office building, giving you some information   View Answer

Director Interview

Slow, misleading, promise of on site interview dragged on for weeks and eventually never happened. Multiple calls with recruiter and business head, never a final call back from hiring mgr or recruiter. 2 mths later received computer generated email. Recruiter sold TIAA's growth track very hard. Hiring process is non-existent, or they just don't care. Not sure which it is.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic, did not ask anything insightful, review resume.   Answer Question

Client Relationship Consultant- Wealth Management Interview

Recruiter would email with time she would call and then not call as stated. When I replied to emails sent by recruiter they were ignored. Plenty of excuses for being "busy". Not professional.