TIAA-CREF Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

Financial Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview

Typically a phone interview followed by an in person interview with one or two managers. This will be followed by another phone call with an offer if selected. Very comfortable environment to interview in. Do be prepared and ask plenty of questions. Take the time to learn about the company ahead of time. TIAA-CREF is not a public company.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and immediately got an email from the Talent Acquisition team member with some more questions, which I answered. He followed up with a phone call and talked a bit more about the position. After that he asked me if I would be interested (I said yes) and someone contacted me with an appointment date for the interview. So far I was very impressed with their promptness and professionalism.

However, during our talk, the interviewer kept checking their email every time they heard a chime. Then they suddenly got up to look for a cable to charge their cell-phone. The interview barely lasted 30 minutes. Never heard from them.

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (New York, NY).

Interview

First Interview was a phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes. Given some basic information, I was asked to estimate the water usage of a building that consisted of levels for different functions. It is more important to show your ability to analyze things than to come up with a number. The second round was composed of 4 30-minute interview. If you are not located in New York or Charlotte, you will most likely go to the local TIAA-CREF branch and do the interview over the internet. The interview was either one-on-one or two-on-one. The questions were mostly behavioral questions with no big surprise. You have to make sure that you know your resume very well.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It's a great company to work for. The intern salary was pretty good.

Wealth Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Very thorough interview process. Be leery of background check questionnaire. Apparently what it says and what it means are two different things. If you have a note or a loan from a previous firm, they will not hire you or will rescind an offer made to you regardless of the fact that the questionnaire doesn't say that.

Interview Questions

• "Is there anything else we should know?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation worked out fine. Offer was rescinded because they claim I answered a question wrong on a background check questionnaire, which is entirely untrue. Too bad, I would have been a tremendous asset to the firm. They'll continue to mine places like Scottrade and Schwab for under qualified advisors

Actuarial Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview

Regarding the phone interview, I was completely caught off guard. I applied for their actuarial internship position a couple of weeks ago, and the first time I hear from them was an immediate phone interview right off the bat.

They only asked me three simple behavioral questions and the whole call lasted around five minutes, but regardless, I am extremely surprised at their interview process so far. No prior contact such as emails or any notifications, just go straight to a phone interview without even asking the candidate what's the best time to reach them.

I was in my room playing video games, with almost no prior research or interview preparation, then I get a call from them asking if I could answer a few questions.

I was not mentally prepared at all.

I am most likely not going to get a second round interview because of this "process".

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview

Took 2 months+ to go through process. Multiple interviews. Start off with phone interview, once completed and qualified, move on to 3 additional interviews. All interviews were face to face except initial phone interview.

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

4 interviews. Mostly managers just protecting their collective bonuses. No real sense of their desire to benefit their clients. Just grab wallet share. Very vague position details. Absolutely no post interview feedback. Very disorganized and unprofessional.

Looks like a place to flat line and give up your experience for an mediocre salary.

Interview Questions

• Basic stuff. No “Google” questions. Manager was weak to incompetent.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in August 2014.

Interview

Recruiter contacts you first through phone, afterwards will set up panel interview with managers where you applied. Panel intervriew scheduled, wait on call back based on panel interview. Start on background employee check whil waiting to here back from panel intervriew. Recruiter you first spoke to reaches out to you

Individual Consultant (Inbound ) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lewisville, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Lewisville, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

I Applied, First phase was a phone interview with a recruiter in North Carolina.The second phase was a request to complete an online assessment and questionaire for backgroud check. requested information needed to be retured within 24 hours so get on with it pronto! In person interview was set up weeks later by a local scheduler. The nterview was with two hiring managers who feverishly wrote down everything detail they could of my responses onto a form they had to fill out and for the purpose of reporting all igathered info from the interview and report back to HR.

Interview Questions

• In the past, describe a project you were involved in, and it great detail take us through the process.   Answer Question

Senior Marketing Mgt Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in August 2014.

Interview

HR contacted me through LinkedIn. Next step was a 30 minute call with the hiring manager and then within two weeks a video call with 4 managers within the firm. The entire process was quick and painless.

Interview Questions

• What was it like working for Mr. Stowers. I thought it was interesting that they knew who he was and were interested in how he led American Century.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They had a done their homework on what it would take for me to accept. They gave me what I wanted.