TIAA-CREF

125 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Infrastructure Manager Interview

Infrastructure Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in August 2011.

Interview Details – Interview process included six different interviews throughout the company. One or more weeks could pass between interviews. HR did a good job of keeping me informed during the process.

Interview Question – None.   Answer Question

Client Support Specialist Interview

Client Support Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview Details – I was already at the company so my previous body of work did most of the speaking for the interview. I had a lunch (casual interview) and a formal interview with the director of our team. You get a HR representative assigned to you who communicates next steps and the logistics of your process. It is not a quick process... in most cases a couple months can be expected.

Senior Engineer - IT Interview

Senior Engineer - IT
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in December 2012.

Interview Details – I first completed an online application on the company's website. I was then contacted by phone from one of their Talent Acquisition specialists. She conducted an initial interview and said I would hear something in a week or so. I then had a follow-up interview with the TA. I was then told that they were interested in pursuing it further. I was contacted by an IT Manager next. He conducted a brief phone interview and said that I would be contacted again by the TA. The next call was to set up an onsite interview. This interview was with the IT Manager and a potential peer on the team. It was somewhat technical to start and then was more general. It went very well and I was told that I would definitely hear from them soon. The next call from the TA was to set up an onsite interview with the Manager of the IT Manager that I had interviewed with. This 2nd onsite interview went very well also. It was more general than technical as she felt that the 1st interview should have vetted out the technical skills. The next call was to indicate that I would be offered the job. We spoke of the basic job offer and tentatively agreed to move forward. I indicated that I required a written / emailed offer to make it official. Once I accepted we settled on a start date. One very nice feature with this process at TIAA-CREF was the ability to complete much of the process online / electronically.

Interview Question – How did I plan to deal with the (somewhat) extremely long drive into the office? I live 50+ miles from the office. I really didn't expect this question as I was aware of the drive from the start. However, they were concerned that it would negatively impact my overall outlook and that I might not stay long-term.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – This is not my first job or salary negotiation. I typically get a solid salary range before the process ever begins. I then negotiate a fair and equitable salary from there. I have a number that is my minimum and try very hard to stick to it.

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Senior Systems Administrator
Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview Details – Interview process was short and brief. One thing though, they trick you in thinking that you are going to get paid for any over time -- YOU DON'T !!!!

Interview Question – Learn port numbers from SFTP to HTTPS to SMTP and everything in between. Kalpana Ramalingan (team lead for Systems Admins) WILL NOT hire you if you don't know port numbers NO MATTER how good you are overall with the tech skillset.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiations.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Actuarial Analyst

Interviewed at TIAA-CREF

Interview Details – On-Campus interview

Interview Question – there's a small test. asked you to model the water usage in an office building, giving you some information   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in October 2013.

Interview Details – The process was slow. Here's the breakdown of the time frame from initial contact:

1. phone screening with HR
2. 3 weeks later, they come back to schedule with a 1st round interview in a week
3. 1 week later, 1st round interview.
4. 2 days later, phone interview with a team lead from another geographic location
5. 2 weeks later, HR called back and scheduled for a 2nd round interview in 2 weeks.
6. 2 weeks later, the 2nd round interview happened.
7. 1 day after 2nd interview, i got my verbal offer, i accepted it the next day
8. 1 week after the acceptance, that's when they finally approved the position
9. another 3 weeks pass by before i finish drug screening and background verification

Interview Question – it wasn't really a difficult question, as they were trying to talk to me about my work experiences and personality fit as oppose to behavioral type questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was in my ball park anyway, and the benefits (pensions & 401K) are just great. few thousands more now isn't going to make or break me, and i value stability more at this point.

Senior Mortgage Loan Officer Interview

Senior Mortgage Loan Officer
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in November 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online for the position, received a call from the recruiter within a few days, did initial screening, interview was set up with two senior managers. Received email 48 hours prior to interview confirming who I was meeting with, what time to be there, and where to go. Interview was about one hour long, maybe a little more.

Since this was at the beginning of their interviewing process for the new mortgage division for the company, I was told it would take about 2-2.5 weeks for a response. The recruiter emailed me the next day and let me know some initial feedback, and that he would reach out to me once he had heard, but to check in with him in a week, in the event a decision had already been reached.

Offer was made, had to then complete and correct some data from the initial online app, then again for their third-party screening company, credit check and complete a drug-test. Be prepared to have a 10 year address and employment history.

Interview Question – If you prepare for the interview this should not be a problem. Nothing was out of the ordinary or difficult to answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was presented, not sure if there was room for negotiation. Overall package was solid and exceeded my expectations.

Phone Consultant Interview

Phone Consultant
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in September 2012.

Interview Details – First there was a phone interview with a recruiter, then I went over on a Saturday morning for an in person interview with a manager. The manager knew someone I knew so we talked about that a bit. It was the standard behavioral interview with customer focused questions. I got an offer by the end of the week.

Interview Question – How long do you expect to be in this position?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was already doing a phone job and though it paid more, I would have had to stay in that position for 18 months. I have an advanced degree and to be tied to the phone for that long was not something I wanted.

Client Services Representative Interview

Client Services Representative
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a call from a recruiter to discuss background,and why i wanted to work at this organization. After another week got a call to come in for a face to face interview. the interview was with two department heads. They were both really nice people. They asked questions based on my resume and my past experience. The whole interview was about an hour long.

Interview Question – I was not asked any unexpected or difficult questions.I was fully prepared for the interview   Answer Question

Technical Lead Interview

Technical Lead
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview Details – Talent acquisition team co-ordinate interviews well.