TIAA-CREF Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014

2.9

Actuarial Analyst Interview

On-Campus interview

Interview Questions
    • there's a small test. asked you to model the water usage in an office building, giving you some information   View Answer

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in January 2014.

Was contacted by their recruiter via LinkedIn. Phone interviews and in-person interview were not too difficult. Some interviewers were very smart. Half way through the process the recruiter left the company but the process was smooth and the other recruiter did a good job in communicating with me. They didn't negotiate a lot on salary.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing so difficult or unexpected. Some questions were related to how I handle stress or the most challenging issue I faced in my previous job. How I interact with clients and work with other team members.   Answer Question
    They communicated with me well during the negotiation stage and set the expectations right.

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Talent acquisition team co-ordinate interviews well.

Information Security Analyst Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Emailed for phone Interview. It was simple :
    Tell me about yourself
    Most challenging situation
    some questions on work experience at School

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Very long process with at least three interviews.

n/a

Senior Mortgage Loan Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in November 2013.

Applied online for the position, received a call from the recruiter within a few days, did initial screening, interview was set up with two senior managers. Received email 48 hours prior to interview confirming who I was meeting with, what time to be there, and where to go. Interview was about one hour long, maybe a little more.

Since this was at the beginning of their interviewing process for the new mortgage division for the company, I was told it would take about 2-2.5 weeks for a response. The recruiter emailed me the next day and let me know some initial feedback, and that he would reach out to me once he had heard, but to check in with him in a week, in the event a decision had already been reached.

Offer was made, had to then complete and correct some data from the initial online app, then again for their third-party screening company, credit check and complete a drug-test. Be prepared to have a 10 year address and employment history.

Interview Questions
    • If you prepare for the interview this should not be a problem. Nothing was out of the ordinary or difficult to answer.   Answer Question
    Offer was presented, not sure if there was room for negotiation. Overall package was solid and exceeded my expectations.

Senior IT Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

You need to know some one internally to float your resume. If not, dont even bother to apply.
    Interview - no particular pattern - Depends on who is hiring. Starts with HR call who promises a lot of things including pro-rated bonus which doesn't work in reality. Once you clear the technical interviews you will get an offer letter matching what you are currently making. Then the negotiations start but dont expect a big hike in your pay from the previous job. After you accept the offer, a thorough background check will take 3-4 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Depends on who is interviewing. In most cases, if you are being interviewed, you already know someone in the interview panel.   Answer Question
    Not a whole lot of room for negotiation after the final interview.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Its takes a long time to get an interview with TIAA-CREF. A recruiter called me from Denver and interviewed me. Wasn't a difficult process at all. Two week later they called me for an interview in the charlotte office. Two managers interviewed me and it was pretty good. They offered me the job two weeks later and it took a long time for my background to get back to them (it all depends on the state where they are getting the information from) The got the information that Thursday and I started on Monday. It took about a month for the whole process but I've heard it cam take up to 3-4 months.

My salary. They paid me about 7,000 more than what I was making. It was pretty easy. If they really want you then they will pay you. The pay is excellent there.

IT Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Only 2 interviews, both behavioral. No technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • Please be prepared to have questions for the interviewer. Interviewers expect us to ask questions.   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in October 2013.

The process was slow. Here's the breakdown of the time frame from initial contact:

1. phone screening with HR
    2. 3 weeks later, they come back to schedule with a 1st round interview in a week
    3. 1 week later, 1st round interview.
    4. 2 days later, phone interview with a team lead from another geographic location
    5. 2 weeks later, HR called back and scheduled for a 2nd round interview in 2 weeks.
    6. 2 weeks later, the 2nd round interview happened.
    7. 1 day after 2nd interview, i got my verbal offer, i accepted it the next day
    8. 1 week after the acceptance, that's when they finally approved the position
    9. another 3 weeks pass by before i finish drug screening and background verification

Interview Questions
    • it wasn't really a difficult question, as they were trying to talk to me about my work experiences and personality fit as oppose to behavioral type questions.   Answer Question
    The offer was in my ball park anyway, and the benefits (pensions & 401K) are just great. few thousands more now isn't going to make or break me, and i value stability more at this point.