TIAA-CREF

Average Difficulty
125 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Individual Consultant (Inbound ) Interview

Individual Consultant (Inbound )
Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview Details – Common questions based on past work experience.

Interview Question – Did you ever disagree with your immediate Supervisor and how did you resolve the issue.   Answer Question

Technical Lead Interview

Technical Lead
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in June 2012.

Interview Details – Two technical rounds, one telephonic and other face to face

Negotiation Details – They accepted what I asked for.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Actuarial Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview Details – Email application, phone interview, in-person interview

Interview Question – I didn't think any specific question asked was unexpected or out of the ordinary. However, they did request demonstrations of programming knowledge, excel knowledge, etc.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant, TIAA-CREF Way Interview

Senior Consultant, TIAA-CREF Way
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in May 2013.

Interview Details – 1st round of interviews with HR, then 2nd and 3rd rounds with the MD and other team members. 1st round was behavioral, 2nd round was focused on case interviews, 3rd round on tools and methodologies.

Beware, I was told that they have a very long recruiting process because due to compliance they need to interview a certain number of people for each position. After I interviewed, they interviewed others for the next 4 weeks.

Interview Question – 4 case studies: 2 were specific to TIAA-CREF's business and 2 were random   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was extended was too low in terms of salary. They knew my previous salary, but I was never warned that the range my be considerably lower. Unbeknownst to me at the time it was extended, it was 100% non-negotiable. There was zero sense of urgency from HR to receive an answer. They also did not know who in the team would be my supervisor nor did they know if I would be spending my first week in Denver or in Charlotte, where the majority of the team is located. The offer letter took 3 days to arrive, versus the 24 hours I had been promised. During the offer process, I never got a sense that anyone was excited to have me join. No one from the business team reached out. Not even the HR person mentioned in the letter and assigned to help me through the process called.

My interview schedule was very hurried. I had less than 12 hrs notice between 2nd and 3rd round and between the 1st person and 2nd person in the 3rd round. I was constantly told that they needed to move fast because they had pending projects. But then, after my last interview, 5 weeks passed before an offer was extended.

My recruiter was also very lackadaisical. There were periods of 2 and 3 weeks with zero communication, even though I was following up once a week. She took a long weekend between the day I received the offer and the day I had to reply. Her voice mail was full at 4pm on her departure day and was still full past mid-day the day she returned. The day I rejected the offer, I left her a VM at 9:20am. When she called to check in at 1:40pm, she still had not listened to it.

Their time from offer acceptance to 1st day is about 20 days. They do background and drug tests. Again, zero sense of urgency.

All in all, I had too many red flags and was just not excited about the $$.

Investment Analyst Interview

Investment Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview Details – One of the worst interview processes I have ever been through. HR Department is completely incompetent and disorganized. The whole process took over 3 months. After passing the initial phone screening and first round interview I heard from HR that I was a finalist. I tried to set up a second round interview however HR went silent. Tried emailing and calling HR for 2 weeks, but nothing. Finally received an email after 3 weeks, giving me a case analysis to complete for the interview and gave me a grouping of time slots to choose from. After the interview I was told I would hear back in the next week or two...nothing. Around 3 weeks after the interview I tried contacting HR looking for an update as I was beginning to get interviews at other firms, however no response. By this point I realized I wasnt getting the job, however the least they could do after this 3 month interview process was send a rejection email, or at the very least respond to one of my emails or phone calls. Here it is 6 weeks later and still no response.

Interview Question – They proved me with a detailed case analysis in which I had to do a 2 page write up   Answer Question

Public Relations Specialist Interview

Public Relations Specialist

Interviewed at TIAA-CREF

Interview Details – My resume was passed to someone in their team through an outside contact. They passed it to the hiring manager, who rang me for a half an hour interview by phone. It was a friendly, low-key interview, focussed on exchanging detailed information about my responsibilities in past jobs and the position open in their company. They asked the generic 'tell me about yourself to this point.'

Interview Question – Were you /are you paid on an hourly basis?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I'm actually still in the interview process

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview Details – HR person that contacted me was not very responsive. It took them about a week to get everyone's schedule to set up the interview. Of course, when HR people are themselves contract employees, it is no wonder they do not seem invested in their job.

Interview Question – The interviewer stated that I was highly qualified, and what would keep me from getting bored.   Answer Question

Individual Consultant (Inbound ) Interview

Individual Consultant (Inbound )
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in October 2012.

Interview Details – Two mangers interview, standard questions were asked, had to simulate answering a customer call

Interview Question – Call simulation   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is a HR rep who makes the initial contact, I made the mistake of saying the salary mentioned was ok, after that there wasn't any negotiation. I assumed that would come after the interview. Don't make the same mistake.

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Wealth Management Advisor

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview Details – Very thorough interview process. 5 interviews total- 4 via telephone and 1 in person. All involved situational and behavioral type questions. With plenty of experienced people in this business sector, they are looking for a culture and character fit in addition to experience and credentials. Hardest interview process I have encountered, as I could never get a read from the interviewers if they were moving me forward.

Interview Question – What do you know about our company?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

IT Project Coordinator Interview

IT Project Coordinator
Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in June 2013.

Interview Details – Horrible experience as these people are crazy. They expected me to devote the rest of my life to them even though I was interviewing for a contract position. If they want a candidate who is going to commit to the job long term, they need to be offering benefits, salary, etc. Their expectations are very unreasonable for the level of pay and commitment they are making.

Interviews for Top Jobs at TIAA-CREF