TIAA-CREF

2.9

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

First Interview was a phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes. Given some basic information, I was asked to estimate the water usage of a building that consisted of levels for different functions. It is more important to show your ability to analyze things than to come up with a number. The second round was composed of 4 30-minute interview. If you are not located in New York or Charlotte, you will most likely go to the local TIAA-CREF branch and do the interview over the internet. The interview was either one-on-one or two-on-one. The questions were mostly behavioral questions with no big surprise. You have to make sure that you know your resume very well.

Interview Questions
    It's a great company to work for. The intern salary was pretty good.

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in August 2014.

4 interviews. Mostly managers just protecting their collective bonuses. No real sense of their desire to benefit their clients. Just grab wallet share. Very vague position details. Absolutely no post interview feedback. Very disorganized and unprofessional.

Looks like a place to flat line and give up your experience for an mediocre salary.

Interview Questions
    • Basic stuff. No “Google” questions. Manager was weak to incompetent.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in January 2014.

Was contacted by their recruiter via LinkedIn. Phone interviews and in-person interview were not too difficult. Some interviewers were very smart. Half way through the process the recruiter left the company but the process was smooth and the other recruiter did a good job in communicating with me. They didn't negotiate a lot on salary.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing so difficult or unexpected. Some questions were related to how I handle stress or the most challenging issue I faced in my previous job. How I interact with clients and work with other team members.   Answer Question
    They communicated with me well during the negotiation stage and set the expectations right.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in October 2013.

The process was slow. Here's the breakdown of the time frame from initial contact:

1. phone screening with HR
    2. 3 weeks later, they come back to schedule with a 1st round interview in a week
    3. 1 week later, 1st round interview.
    4. 2 days later, phone interview with a team lead from another geographic location
    5. 2 weeks later, HR called back and scheduled for a 2nd round interview in 2 weeks.
    6. 2 weeks later, the 2nd round interview happened.
    7. 1 day after 2nd interview, i got my verbal offer, i accepted it the next day
    8. 1 week after the acceptance, that's when they finally approved the position
    9. another 3 weeks pass by before i finish drug screening and background verification

Interview Questions
    • it wasn't really a difficult question, as they were trying to talk to me about my work experiences and personality fit as oppose to behavioral type questions.   Answer Question
    The offer was in my ball park anyway, and the benefits (pensions & 401K) are just great. few thousands more now isn't going to make or break me, and i value stability more at this point.

Client Service Specialist - Roseland New Jersey Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, NJ

I applied through other source – interviewed at TIAA-CREF in July 2012.

Receive an unsolicited call from the TIAA CREF recuruiter - she saw my resume on line.
    She interviewed me and the interview was quite easy - too easy in my opinion. I met the hiring manager on a separate interview - also an easy interview. I kind of sensed they did not want me when the hiring manager kind of fell asleep while I was talking and had to sip coffee to staty awake. They then set up 2 different interviews with 2 separate manager at two office locations - also interviews that were a bit too easy. My final thoughts - they knew who they wanted and they were "just playing me" . I was very disappointed at how misleading they were.

Interview Questions
    • If your mother would describe you what would she say about you?   Answer Question

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in June 2012.

Referral would be best to get into this company. HR does not follow up if apply via internet, and there are too many layers of interview process.

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iselin, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iselin, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in June 2012.

I got call from hr couple of hours before lunch. I spoke briefly and requested to talk over lunch. Over lunch we spent about 30 minutes going over hr questions. I was not prepared for this call. I answered basic questions with hesitation and uncertainty (i.e. what is agile. I was debating whether to answer this in general form or the way it's been used at my current work). Then came the salary question and I just blurted my current comp right away. (I should have diffused the question and requested to learn the responsibilities more first. Also tried to get a feel for the range first). 1 week later a group phone interview was scheduled. The team was not organized, 5 people for 1 hr interview. They asked very opened ended questions. I did not do a good job of closing them. They did not give me a chance to ask my questions. Interview ended with only 2 people speaking from their side. I followed up with hr and she said they were interested in a follow up. She called back 1 week later for follow up, in person video conference in their office. That was also not planned well from their side. The facility was brand new and very nice. Did not get a feel for where I would sit or work from. Again they were late and there was misinformation about where how they were going to meet. The video conference was nice. spend about 1 hr.

Interview Questions

They were not interested in me. They were interested in someone just filling the role (which was most likely a turnover).

Technical Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in April 2012.

I first applied through my school's Career website, and then was contacted that I would be having a 1:1 interview on campus. This interview went well, the person interviewing me was very friendly. It was a standard behavioral interview with some questions about why you chose TIAA-CREF. I was then contacted later in the week to come in for a half day interview session the following week.

The half-day session consisted of 5 interviews, going over seperate areas such as technical knowledge, problem solving, business knowledge, etc. There were several other students here as well and I think there was another session as well. Everyone was very nice and professional, except I think by the last two the interviewers seemed like they were not interested and didn't want to be there - possibly tired from a long day of interviews? This was kind of annoying and I thought a little disrespectful as I had taken off the day from work to take time to interview here.

I was told they would get back to us within a week, but I actually got a call they were still deciding. Everything was professional and nice, but it took another 2-3 weeks I believe for me to find out that I had not received an offer. At this point it didn't matter, as I had already received two offers and accepted one and would have not been able to accept this one. They were very informative though, and I can't fault them for trying to make the right decision - they seemed sincere. The only thing was those last two interviews had left a bad taste in my mouth already.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a technical problem that you solved as if you were explaining it to someone that had no technical knowledge (ex. your grandma, etc)   Answer Question
    • What does TIAA-CREF do? Who are their main competitors?   Answer Question

Client Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in January 2012.

Applied online, got a call within a few days for a phone interview.
    Mainly behavioral questions, information given about the position, and made sure compensation expectations were in line with the position.
    The recruiter forwarded my information afterwards to the hiring director, and called back 2 days later to schedule an in person interview.

Senior Internal Control Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in December 2010.

I interviewed with a Manager and Director and was pleased with the questions that were relavent to the job

Interview Questions
    They negotiated very successfully in favor of the company.