TIAA-CREF

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Associate Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in January 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted by their recruiter via LinkedIn. Phone interviews and in-person interview were not too difficult. Some interviewers were very smart. Half way through the process the recruiter left the company but the process was smooth and the other recruiter did a good job in communicating with me. They didn't negotiate a lot on salary.

Interview Question – Nothing so difficult or unexpected. Some questions were related to how I handle stress or the most challenging issue I faced in my previous job. How I interact with clients and work with other team members.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They communicated with me well during the negotiation stage and set the expectations right.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in October 2013.

Interview Details – The process was slow. Here's the breakdown of the time frame from initial contact:

1. phone screening with HR
2. 3 weeks later, they come back to schedule with a 1st round interview in a week
3. 1 week later, 1st round interview.
4. 2 days later, phone interview with a team lead from another geographic location
5. 2 weeks later, HR called back and scheduled for a 2nd round interview in 2 weeks.
6. 2 weeks later, the 2nd round interview happened.
7. 1 day after 2nd interview, i got my verbal offer, i accepted it the next day
8. 1 week after the acceptance, that's when they finally approved the position
9. another 3 weeks pass by before i finish drug screening and background verification

Interview Question – it wasn't really a difficult question, as they were trying to talk to me about my work experiences and personality fit as oppose to behavioral type questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was in my ball park anyway, and the benefits (pensions & 401K) are just great. few thousands more now isn't going to make or break me, and i value stability more at this point.

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in June 2012.

Interview Details – Referral would be best to get into this company. HR does not follow up if apply via internet, and there are too many layers of interview process.

Interview Question – Basic questions, so just be yourself   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Client Service Specialist - Roseland New Jersey Interview

Oakland, NJ

I applied through other source - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in July 2012.

Interview Details – Receive an unsolicited call from the TIAA CREF recuruiter - she saw my resume on line.
She interviewed me and the interview was quite easy - too easy in my opinion. I met the hiring manager on a separate interview - also an easy interview. I kind of sensed they did not want me when the hiring manager kind of fell asleep while I was talking and had to sip coffee to staty awake. They then set up 2 different interviews with 2 separate manager at two office locations - also interviews that were a bit too easy. My final thoughts - they knew who they wanted and they were "just playing me" . I was very disappointed at how misleading they were.

Interview Question – If your mother would describe you what would she say about you?   Answer Question

Technical Lead Interview

Technical Lead
Iselin, NJ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in June 2012.

Interview Details – I got call from hr couple of hours before lunch. I spoke briefly and requested to talk over lunch. Over lunch we spent about 30 minutes going over hr questions. I was not prepared for this call. I answered basic questions with hesitation and uncertainty (i.e. what is agile. I was debating whether to answer this in general form or the way it's been used at my current work). Then came the salary question and I just blurted my current comp right away. (I should have diffused the question and requested to learn the responsibilities more first. Also tried to get a feel for the range first). 1 week later a group phone interview was scheduled. The team was not organized, 5 people for 1 hr interview. They asked very opened ended questions. I did not do a good job of closing them. They did not give me a chance to ask my questions. Interview ended with only 2 people speaking from their side. I followed up with hr and she said they were interested in a follow up. She called back 1 week later for follow up, in person video conference in their office. That was also not planned well from their side. The facility was brand new and very nice. Did not get a feel for where I would sit or work from. Again they were late and there was misinformation about where how they were going to meet. The video conference was nice. spend about 1 hr.

Interview Question – How much do you make?   View Answers (3)

Reason for Declining – They were not interested in me. They were interested in someone just filling the role (which was most likely a turnover).

Technical Associate Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in April 2012.

Interview Details – I first applied through my school's Career website, and then was contacted that I would be having a 1:1 interview on campus. This interview went well, the person interviewing me was very friendly. It was a standard behavioral interview with some questions about why you chose TIAA-CREF. I was then contacted later in the week to come in for a half day interview session the following week.

The half-day session consisted of 5 interviews, going over seperate areas such as technical knowledge, problem solving, business knowledge, etc. There were several other students here as well and I think there was another session as well. Everyone was very nice and professional, except I think by the last two the interviewers seemed like they were not interested and didn't want to be there - possibly tired from a long day of interviews? This was kind of annoying and I thought a little disrespectful as I had taken off the day from work to take time to interview here.

I was told they would get back to us within a week, but I actually got a call they were still deciding. Everything was professional and nice, but it took another 2-3 weeks I believe for me to find out that I had not received an offer. At this point it didn't matter, as I had already received two offers and accepted one and would have not been able to accept this one. They were very informative though, and I can't fault them for trying to make the right decision - they seemed sincere. The only thing was those last two interviews had left a bad taste in my mouth already.

Interview Questions

• Describe a technical problem that you solved as if you were explaining it to someone that had no technical knowledge (ex. your grandma, etc)   Answer Question
  • What does TIAA-CREF do? Who are their main competitors?   Answer Question

Client Support Specialist Interview

New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in January 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call within a few days for a phone interview.
Mainly behavioral questions, information given about the position, and made sure compensation expectations were in line with the position.
The recruiter forwarded my information afterwards to the hiring director, and called back 2 days later to schedule an in person interview.

Finance Interview

New York, NY

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in July 2010.

Interview Details – Questions were pretty standard. Describe your biggest weakness? Name a situation where you had to deal with problem and how did you deal with it? Not a lot of technical questions to confirm your competence.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Internal Control Analyst Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in December 2010.

Interview Details – I interviewed with a Manager and Director and was pleased with the questions that were relavent to the job

Interview Question – Decribe your background in auditing?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They negotiated very successfully in favor of the company.

Equity Research Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in April 2010.

Interview Details – After weeks of e-mails and follow ups and phone calls to recruiters an interview was scheduled. The interview process is rigorous with an array of techincal questions. Topics covered Weighted Average Cost of Capital, DCF analysis, Financial Statement Analysis, etc.

Interview Questions

• What are your investment recommendations?   View Answer
  • Where does net income fall on the balance sheet?   View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for TIAA-CREF? Contribute to the Community!

TIAA-CREF Videos

TIAA-CREF – Why Work for Us?

​​ TIAA-CREF is a Fortune 100 financial services organization with $481 billion in assets under management (as of 6/30/12). The firm is a leader in helping those in the academic, medical, cultural, governmental and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TIAA-CREF interview questions and advice in New York City, NY. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by TIAA-CREF employees and interview candidates.