TIAA-CREF

Relevance Date Difficulty

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at TIAA-CREF in January 2012.

Interview Details – First call was from HR who asked a few questions and arranged an interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager called a few days later at the assigned time and basically asked a few questions about my abilities. He explained what they were looking for in a System Admin. He stated that I had more skills than they were looking for but my strongest skills were what they were after anyway. He told me he was going to schedule a panel Technical interview. 2 days later a lady called and scheduled that interview which actually turned into a series of 3 interviews with 3 different people.

The first guy to interview me called 20 minutes late and asked a few questions about my experience in general and then started asking some VMWare questions starting with the easier ones and moving to the harder questions. The easy questions were about HA, VMWare tools, and DRS and how they worked. I know I got those right but he appeared to not believe my answers. I had the write ups straight from the book in front of me so I knew the answers were correct. I think the only questions I got completely wrong was on Thin/Thick provisioning which is more about disk space than VMWare and about PowerCLI which just came out. As I said I got maybe 90% of the questions right. The next guy to call was all about Windows Server and he really didn't ask any questions but went over my resume. The last guy to call was like the second guy. He asked about my Windows experiences and what I had been doing and we had a pleasant conversation. He did ask a question about Citrix with which I have had a little experience. But Citrix it was also not one of the requirements of the job according to the hiring manager.

2 days later I received an email saying the company was not interested at this time but would keep my resume in case "Something came up."

Interview Questions

• What is HA? What is DRS? what is the VMWaretools what is in them? What is Vmotion? What is Thin/Thick Provisioning? What is the Ballon driver for in VMWare tools? There were other questions but I can't remember them. Most of these questions have nothing to do with managing VMWare or using the VMWare Client.   Answer Question
  • What is Thin/Thick Provisioning   View Answer

Worked for TIAA-CREF? Contribute to the Community!