TIAA-CREF Wealth Management Advisor Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2015

3.4

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview

This is a difficult process, it includes a role play, multiple peer interviews, and multiple management interviews. There were multiple levels of interviews with other advisors, what isn't clear during those interviews is how much weight is given to each one. I now know that at any point your application can be derailed by any one individual you speak to, and they compare notes so a candidate should take notes during each interview.

Interview Questions

• The role play scenario is typically the most difficult for candidates.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations were tough, but I discovered later that I had done better than average. They are notoriously secretive about salaries and bonuses.

Other Interview Reviews for TIAA-CREF

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview

Took 2 months+ to go through process. Multiple interviews. Start off with phone interview, once completed and qualified, move on to 3 additional interviews. All interviews were face to face except initial phone interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

4 interviews. Mostly managers just protecting their collective bonuses. No real sense of their desire to benefit their clients. Just grab wallet share. Very vague position details. Absolutely no post interview feedback. Very disorganized and unprofessional.

Looks like a place to flat line and give up your experience for an mediocre salary.

Interview Questions

• Basic stuff. No “Google” questions. Manager was weak to incompetent.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Detroit, MI) in February 2014.

Interview

Long proces with many layers, promised a job and was directed to the next level, the next Director was abusive and a bully he lacked interview skills making the process very difficult and confusing

Interview Questions

• Rather than being interviewed I was told tby the director that he found Independent advisors to be unlikely to be able to be supervised, and abusive to their clients . He presented a case that was unsolvable and expected that the role play would uncover every aspect of the client's needs in 20 minutes. I have multiple years of business experience and a Master's and have never been treated in an interview in such an manner. I should have hung up. I was only being polite because I was coached the person that I originally interviewed with that was new to the company that the interview would be difficult, he was a gem and I was looking forward to working with his group.   Answer Question

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview

Very long process with at least three interviews.

Negotiation

n/a

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview

Very thorough interview process. 5 interviews total- 4 via telephone and 1 in person. All involved situational and behavioral type questions. With plenty of experienced people in this business sector, they are looking for a culture and character fit in addition to experience and credentials. Hardest interview process I have encountered, as I could never get a read from the interviewers if they were moving me forward.

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in February 2011.

Interview

2 phone interviews, 1 face to face interview. In retrospect I was lied to...was told telecommuting was ok...OH NO IT IS NOT; was told this is not a sales role...OH YES IT IS...Bringing in new money is all that counts. Was told my book would be 100 clients, 2 advisors left when I was in training and I had 400 clients overnight.

Interview Questions

• Tell us how you would handle a upset client? Clearly, I did not see the writing on the wall...........   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at TIAA-CREF (Denver, CO) in January 2011.

Interview

Process is horrible. Have a minimum of 5 interviews that are not well organized. Director is not a nice person; very degrading/condescending interviewer. The entire process needs to be reworked. Had 7 interviews over a 5 month period with very little communication in between.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was non-existent. Offer presented as take it or leave it.

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF.

Interview

1 phone interview, behavioral, industry knowledge, with a recruiter
    2 group phone interview with local advisors, pick your brain about your motivation, industry knowledge
    3 face to face with operations, local advisors, and director,

Interview Questions

• Give me a situation where you have difficulty working with an irate client....
      What do you think is the most burdening part of a job...or your past experience

1 Answer

Negotiation

none, accepted instantly

Wealth Management Advisor Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TIAA-CREF in October 2008.

Interview

had phone interview, then met with potential future manager. I declined to be considered after that interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me why you feel you can handle million dollar clients.   Answer Question