TJ Maxx

Relevance Date Difficulty

Merchandise Coordinator Interview

Merchandise Coordinator
Mobile, AL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at TJ Maxx in January 2014.

Interview Details – I put in my application with TJ Maxx and it was about a month before I got a call back. The interview itself was great, my interviewing manager was cool and down to earth. I was given a second interview within a week and it went great also, the questions were in depth and thorough. I felt like I sat down with friends and colleagues. However it was over a month before I got called back to give me the job and another couple of weeks before I started.

Negotiation Details – My goal was to at least make what I made at my last job. They only gave me 0.50 more than the original offer, however I was told I would get $0.50 after a successful 90 day review and then another raise not long after once I was promoted to key carrier.....However I've been here 5 months with only a $0.10 raise.

Interviewed at TJ Maxx

Interview Details – Applied in the store..the store manager looked over my application and talked to me about my past work experience..2 weeks later I went to follow up..went very well..was required to watch a few DVD's about the company's policies and culture during orientation..filled out the necessary paperwork, was explained the benefits to all associates..

Interview Questions

Associate Interview

Associate
Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TJ Maxx in March 2014.

Interview Details – Make sure you fill out the in store application. I filled out the online one and brought it in, and it just created a big mess. They ended up loosing a big part of it, and I ended up having to fill out a whole new application.

The interview was pretty easy, it was a group one. If they ask for volunteers or people willing to role play, I would definitely raise your hand and try to be noticed. Make sure you speak up, they were looking for that in all of their questions.

After the group interview, they brought some of us back for individual interviews. Basic questions, really only cared about previous retail experience and hours of availability.

**** You have to earn your hours, they are EXTREMELY STINGY WITH GIVING OUT HOURS TO NEW HIRES.

Interview Question – They asked where I wanted to be in 3 years. Its a retail job, who really cares?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They start everyone at 7.50/hr, with very FEW HOURS.

Cheyenne, WY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at TJ Maxx in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called in a week later to come in for a group interview. Basically all we did was learn about the company, TJX rewards cards, and customer interaction. The manager set up times for us to come in for individual interviews and I was scheduled to come in two days later.

Interview Question – I had to tell the manager about the TJX rewards cards as if she were a customer.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at TJ Maxx in June 2013.

Interview Details – I was buying something at the registers and asked if they were hiring. One of the managers happened to hear me and had me fill an application on the spot and an interview about 15 mins later. Tell them some of your achievements and its also good to say you shop at that store or other TJX stores often. Having customer service experience is a plus. My managers were very cool/laid back. Ask for a manager when you turn in an application.

Interview Question – They asked me about the gap in my work history/why I wasn't working now.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It's minimum wage. But I believe every year you get like a performance review and your wage can go up some but not significantly.

Merchandise/Sales Associate Interview

Merchandise/Sales Associate
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at TJ Maxx in May 2014.

Interview Details – It was a two part interview. If you fill out an application online you will have to refill out an actual application. I t was a group interview, we met with the assistant managers they asked us about ourselves and showed us around the store. They said if they liked you they would give you a call for an interview with the store manager. That same day I got a call for an interview the following day. The store manager asked "why would I like to work at Tj Maxx". " What does customer service mean to you". What do you like most about customer service. Those were the only questions asked and I was hired. The process was pretty easy. Good Luck!

Interview Question – No unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They start off at minimum. no negotiation

Merchandise/Sales Associate Interview

Merchandise/Sales Associate
College Point, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TJ Maxx in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, took 5 days for them to call back. Missed the call, but they left a message to call back to set up an interview. Called back as soon as I could, but the one who called me was done with her shift, so I called the next day. They asked me to come the next day at 11:30 for the interview. Next day, I went in told an associate at the counter that I had an interview at 11:30. They asked me to take a seat. A few minutes later the manager handed me an application to fill out. Afterwards, we went to his office it was a little messy at the moment. We sat down and he immediately asked "What brings you here?" I was a little stunned because he hadn't introduced himself and I was expecting an introduction. I even forgot to give him my resume and cover letter. It took me a few seconds to recover from that, but afterwards I felt like it went well. The manager then proceeded to explain to me what a merchandiser/sales associate would be doing day to day. They asked me if I could do that. I said "Yes, definitely." The store manager suddenly came in and introduced herself and shook my hand. The manager then went back to asking about my availability during summer and after summer since I am in college. They asked me if I had any questions. I did and I think both of them appreciated that. I asked again if they had any additional questions. They had none. The manager told me they would contact me within a week about the result. I shook his hand and the store managers hand. Then went home. They called exactly a week later, and told me to come to orientation. I forgot to ask about pay and benefits on the phone but will make sure that I will first thing on orientation day.

Store manager and Manager were very nice. I told the manager I was a bit nervous since it was my first interview and he said "Don't be I'm nice, most of the time." Manager joked around during the interview too.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult for someone who has experience getting interviewed or has prepared extensively for an interview. However, a bit stunned when he asked "What brings you here?" without introducing himself, since it was my first ever interview, and I did not prepare as much as I should have.   View Answer

Floor Associate Interview

Floor Associate
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at TJ Maxx.

Interview Details – Walked in, filled out application and was hired that day. I have Janitorial experience and they were remodeling, so it was a good fit at the time. The interviewer was nice and thorough.
When asked where I wanted to be in 5 years, I said, "I want your job!"

Interview Question – I asked what will I be making and he said, "I'll tell you soon."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Actually they didn't tell me what I was making for a couple of days?

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Cashier/Sales Associate
Palatine, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TJ Maxx in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online,
 Got call n Interview with manager then he told me to come for orientation on next day n did some skill test .Process was easy , no problem at all .

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Pleasant Hill, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at TJ Maxx in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online at snagajob.com. About a week later I got an interview setup. They asked basic questions and work history. I was offered the job at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – I had to watch hours of boring videos on the proper ways of talking to customers, folding towels, ect.   Answer Question

Worked for TJ Maxx? Contribute to the Community!