TJ Maxx Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

2.1

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at TJ Maxx.

Interview

When in store and got an application. Talk to one of the merchandise managers and had a great talk with them I got a personal recommendation. It was a group interview and it was really laid-back both the coordinating manager in the head manager tried to ease the pressure by having a sense of humor and trying to make it more like an informal conversation. The interview was really easy just acts like yourself smile a lot and make sure that your references will answer the phone or else you can't get hired.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of when you received poor customer service?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had a conflict with someone either at school or at work?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work at TJ Maxx?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (The Woodlands, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

The store in my area wasn't even open yet because the grand opening is in a few weeks, but there were people setting up so I walked and asked if they had a application. They asked me right on the spot for an interview even though I was not dressed appropriately. The interview was really easy and laid back. I received a call a few hours later offering me the job. Note that coming in like I did will not work for everyone they just really needed people at that moment.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at TJ Maxx.

Interview

I went in to hand in my application, which I had picked up previously at the front desk. I was interviewed on the same day, as the hiring manager happened to be working that day. The interview was informal and more of a conversation

Merchandise/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online and got called 2 days later for a fruit interview. There was a total of 7 people including me . They went over store policies and they're goals and they explained what they expected from us.Couple hours later I was called in for a one to one interview with the manager. He asked basic interview questions. He told me they were going to call my references and that I should get a call soon. Couple hours passed and got called in for a orientation. Orientation lasted a total of 4 hrs and I noticed that 2 of the people from the group interview didn't get hired. We got our tags and were told our benefits and got our info put into the system.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They asked us what we would prefer to get paid. They start at $9 an hour.

Merchandise/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Kent, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application and about 2 and a half weeks later I got a call to come in for a group interveiw. In the group interveiw we were shown parts of the store and some of their policies. They focused on customer service and asked if anyone wanted to try to sell them their rewards card. After that, they asked a few people to stay for a second interveiw; in the second interveiw, we did 1:1 with the manager. The interveiw was fairly easy and at the end the manager said I was hired and should expect a call about orientation. They did call my references. I got the call two days after the interview. I would say to be involved in the questions asked at the group interveiw and be very outgoing. Out of the group interview, 3 out of four chosen for a 2nd interview, had participated and tried to sell the card as practice. Be very honest, they are looking for it.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you?   Answer Question
    • What is teamwork?   Answer Question
    • Tell me an example when you... (Experienced bad customer service/good customer service)   Answer Question
    • Our customer service is #%, I want to raise it to #%; how will you help me?   Answer Question
    • When have you had a problem with someone and what did you do?   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at TJ Maxx.

Interview

Took a week. I applied in person with an application. Called them to schedule an interview. The questions were very simple and straight forward. I was called the next day for a job.

Anonymous Employee in Southbury, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Southbury, CT).

Interview

Very dry, basic interview. Asked typical questions like; What would make you a good employee? Situational questions like, If a customer needs your help and you're already assigned to a task what do you do?

Interview Questions

• If a customer needs your help and you're already assigned to a task what do you do? What would make you a good employee?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TJ Maxx in July 2015.

Interview

It was easy and laid back. The woman I spoke to was a little intimidating but once the conversation kept going I began to feel more comfortable. I applied online and got a call about 2 weeks later for an interview. In the end I could not accept the job because of my school. Glassdoor helped me a lot.

Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Fayetteville, GA).

Interview

Seasonal: group interviews. They asked basic interview questions. Nothing hard at all. They were mainly looking for personality. People persons. Approachable. Be yourself. Don't overdo it. Might come across very fake or like you are trying too hard. Be personable,honest, and genuine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online and they contacted me the next day. Mind you they did read my application and called me in. I went in the interview room and was asked ONE question! I couldn't believe it. It was very unperfessional with the door wide open and people walking in and out. I asked why if I clearly don't have the right amount of experience why would you call for an interview? It was a waste of time. Not a good place for people with low retail experience at least in nyc