TJ Maxx Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.1

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at TJ Maxx.

Interview

I went in to hand in my application, which I had picked up previously at the front desk. I was interviewed on the same day, as the hiring manager happened to be working that day. The interview was informal and more of a conversation

Interview Questions

• Why do you want a job at TjMaxx?   1 Answer
    • What are your strengths?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southbury, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TJ Maxx (Southbury, CT).

Interview

Very dry, basic interview. Asked typical questions like; What would make you a good employee? Situational questions like, If a customer needs your help and you're already assigned to a task what do you do?

Interview Questions

• If a customer needs your help and you're already assigned to a task what do you do? What would make you a good employee?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TJ Maxx (Kent, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application and about 2 and a half weeks later I got a call to come in for a group interveiw. In the group interveiw we were shown parts of the store and some of their policies. They focused on customer service and asked if anyone wanted to try to sell them their rewards card. After that, they asked a few people to stay for a second interveiw; in the second interveiw, we did 1:1 with the manager. The interveiw was fairly easy and at the end the manager said I was hired and should expect a call about orientation. They did call my references. I got the call two days after the interview. I would say to be involved in the questions asked at the group interveiw and be very outgoing. Out of the group interview, 3 out of four chosen for a 2nd interview, had participated and tried to sell the card as practice. Be very honest, they are looking for it.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you?   Answer Question
    • What is teamwork?   Answer Question
    • Tell me an example when you... (Experienced bad customer service/good customer service)   Answer Question
    • Our customer service is #%, I want to raise it to #%; how will you help me?   Answer Question
    • When have you had a problem with someone and what did you do?   Answer Question

Merchandise/Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at TJ Maxx.

Interview

Took a week. I applied in person with an application. Called them to schedule an interview. The questions were very simple and straight forward. I was called the next day for a job.

Sale Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at TJ Maxx (Fayetteville, GA).

Interview

Seasonal: group interviews. They asked basic interview questions. Nothing hard at all. They were mainly looking for personality. People persons. Approachable. Be yourself. Don't overdo it. Might come across very fake or like you are trying too hard. Be personable,honest, and genuine.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at TJ Maxx (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online and they contacted me the next day. Mind you they did read my application and called me in. I went in the interview room and was asked ONE question! I couldn't believe it. It was very unperfessional with the door wide open and people walking in and out. I asked why if I clearly don't have the right amount of experience why would you call for an interview? It was a waste of time. Not a good place for people with low retail experience at least in nyc

Anonymous Employee in Loganville, GA

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at TJ Maxx (Loganville, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

Still in the process. Overall friendly environment. I have to come back next week for a second interview. I was told I'd only get 12-18 hours. I'd prefer a lot more hours so I won't be taking it the job.

Interview Questions

Not enough hours so I decided not to take it.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at TJ Maxx (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

Alot of questions and it was a group interview and there were about 6 people with me. A coordinate associatiate and the sales manager they ask about 8 questions and show you around the store. Very nice but you have to be outgoing and friendly to get their attention or they will not notice you.

Interview Questions

• What is customer service to you? what is teamwork? Introduce yourself and say one line about yourself?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at TJ Maxx (Littleton, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple. You get asked a couple of standard questions about customer service/how you'd handle various scenarios. Pretty basic common sense questions. It was not hard at all.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you? What is teamwork for you? Do you have any experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at TJ Maxx (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I went in to drop off my job application. The hiring manager wasn't in that day so I gave it to the store manager. He wanted to interview me already so if you're dropping off your interview, make sure you look decent because you never know what would happen!! I didn't feel prepared for the interview and I said "um" a lot. I thought I messed it up but I got a call two weeks later and got the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None