TJ Maxx

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Interview

Associate
Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TJ Maxx in March 2014.

Interview Details – Make sure you fill out the in store application. I filled out the online one and brought it in, and it just created a big mess. They ended up loosing a big part of it, and I ended up having to fill out a whole new application.

The interview was pretty easy, it was a group one. If they ask for volunteers or people willing to role play, I would definitely raise your hand and try to be noticed. Make sure you speak up, they were looking for that in all of their questions.

After the group interview, they brought some of us back for individual interviews. Basic questions, really only cared about previous retail experience and hours of availability.

**** You have to earn your hours, they are EXTREMELY STINGY WITH GIVING OUT HOURS TO NEW HIRES.

Interview Question – They asked where I wanted to be in 3 years. Its a retail job, who really cares?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They start everyone at 7.50/hr, with very FEW HOURS.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Cheyenne, WY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at TJ Maxx in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called in a week later to come in for a group interview. Basically all we did was learn about the company, TJX rewards cards, and customer interaction. The manager set up times for us to come in for individual interviews and I was scheduled to come in two days later.

Interview Question – I had to tell the manager about the TJX rewards cards as if she were a customer.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at TJ Maxx in June 2013.

Interview Details – I was buying something at the registers and asked if they were hiring. One of the managers happened to hear me and had me fill an application on the spot and an interview about 15 mins later. Tell them some of your achievements and its also good to say you shop at that store or other TJX stores often. Having customer service experience is a plus. My managers were very cool/laid back. Ask for a manager when you turn in an application.

Interview Question – They asked me about the gap in my work history/why I wasn't working now.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It's minimum wage. But I believe every year you get like a performance review and your wage can go up some but not significantly.

Merchandise/Sales Associate Interview

Merchandise/Sales Associate
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at TJ Maxx in May 2014.

Interview Details – It was a two part interview. If you fill out an application online you will have to refill out an actual application. I t was a group interview, we met with the assistant managers they asked us about ourselves and showed us around the store. They said if they liked you they would give you a call for an interview with the store manager. That same day I got a call for an interview the following day. The store manager asked "why would I like to work at Tj Maxx". " What does customer service mean to you". What do you like most about customer service. Those were the only questions asked and I was hired. The process was pretty easy. Good Luck!

Interview Question – No unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They start off at minimum. no negotiation

Merchandise/Sales Associate Interview

Merchandise/Sales Associate
College Point, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TJ Maxx in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, took 5 days for them to call back. Missed the call, but they left a message to call back to set up an interview. Called back as soon as I could, but the one who called me was done with her shift, so I called the next day. They asked me to come the next day at 11:30 for the interview. Next day, I went in told an associate at the counter that I had an interview at 11:30. They asked me to take a seat. A few minutes later the manager handed me an application to fill out. Afterwards, we went to his office it was a little messy at the moment. We sat down and he immediately asked "What brings you here?" I was a little stunned because he hadn't introduced himself and I was expecting an introduction. I even forgot to give him my resume and cover letter. It took me a few seconds to recover from that, but afterwards I felt like it went well. The manager then proceeded to explain to me what a merchandiser/sales associate would be doing day to day. They asked me if I could do that. I said "Yes, definitely." The store manager suddenly came in and introduced herself and shook my hand. The manager then went back to asking about my availability during summer and after summer since I am in college. They asked me if I had any questions. I did and I think both of them appreciated that. I asked again if they had any additional questions. They had none. The manager told me they would contact me within a week about the result. I shook his hand and the store managers hand. Then went home. They called exactly a week later, and told me to come to orientation. I forgot to ask about pay and benefits on the phone but will make sure that I will first thing on orientation day.

Store manager and Manager were very nice. I told the manager I was a bit nervous since it was my first interview and he said "Don't be I'm nice, most of the time." Manager joked around during the interview too.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult for someone who has experience getting interviewed or has prepared extensively for an interview. However, a bit stunned when he asked "What brings you here?" without introducing himself, since it was my first ever interview, and I did not prepare as much as I should have.   View Answer

Floor Associate Interview

Floor Associate
Scottsdale, AZ

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at TJ Maxx.

Interview Details – Walked in, filled out application and was hired that day. I have Janitorial experience and they were remodeling, so it was a good fit at the time. The interviewer was nice and thorough.
When asked where I wanted to be in 5 years, I said, "I want your job!"

Interview Question – I asked what will I be making and he said, "I'll tell you soon."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Actually they didn't tell me what I was making for a couple of days?

Palatine, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TJ Maxx in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online,
 Got call n Interview with manager then he told me to come for orientation on next day n did some skill test .Process was easy , no problem at all .

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Pleasant Hill, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at TJ Maxx in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online at snagajob.com. About a week later I got an interview setup. They asked basic questions and work history. I was offered the job at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – I had to watch hours of boring videos on the proper ways of talking to customers, folding towels, ect.   Answer Question

Cashier/Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at TJ Maxx in April 2013.

Interview Details – This was a very speedy and easy interview process. The interviewer asked the basics; job experience, availability, etc. After the interview they immediately called/checked my references then I received a phone call a couple days later saying that I was hired. A group orientation took place that next day which consisted of a video about the company, rules, dress code, paperwork etc. Overall, the process was easy.

Interview Question – The unexpected question I was asked was, " How would I contribute to Tj Maxx..." this is a hit and miss so make sure you have a really great answer. Same for the question "What does good customer service mean to you.."   Answer Question

Greenwood, SC

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TJ Maxx.

Interview Details – Filled out an application on sight and submitted it with the manager on duty (MOD). Was called immediately for interview with store manager and met other management staff the same day. I was invited to orientation the same week and hired of course.

Interview Question – Would I be interested in applying for their management training program?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There wasn't any, everyone started at the same pay regardless of credentials and everyone was expected to start as part-time.

Worked for TJ Maxx? Contribute to the Community!