TJ Maxx Interview Questions

Updated Oct 3, 2014
Updated Oct 3, 2014

2.2

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at TJ Maxx.

Took a few month to hear from a recruiter. Phone interview, then DM interview and finally SM interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with your boss.   Answer Question
    I told them what I wanted and I got it.

Merchandise Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJ Maxx in December 2013.

I applied on their site, and got a call about 2 weeks later. When I came into the interview, the people at the counter had no idea what to do or who to call, even when I told them who called me for the interview. Finally, the manager came in to interview me. She was nice enough, but I could tell that she wasn't used to interviews. The interview was laid back, she asked me questions about my previous job, why I left--the usual. After the interview, she told me I would have to fill out a hard copy of the application with references and if my references check out, she would call me by the end of the week for orientation.

The questions aren't hard, they're just based on your personal experiences. If you don't have any work experience, go off of school and volunteer experience.

Interview Questions

They only offered me part time seasonal with $7.25 and as someone who has worked in retail for 5 years, I can't afford $7.25

Associate Coort Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eatontown, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eatontown, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at TJ Maxx in December 2013.

I filled out the application for seasonal hired around Christmas time and got a phone called a couple days later for interview. I feel like if you have reference from people who work there , that would be your benefit to get a job easier. I applied for markdowns position and we spend about 15 minutes for an interview. Then a couple days later I got a phone called for orientation and started working the next day after orientation. So my process took around over a week or so.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected and difficult. Mostly about my experience with working somewhere and any experience with register or merchandise. They train you when you do orientation and start working anyway.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yucaipa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Yucaipa, CA

They were having a hiring event for a new store in yucaipa. The interview process was fairly pleasant I had to wait for at least 2-3 hours till they called my name for the interview, The person who interviewed me was very nice.Unfortunately i didn't get the job.

Customer Service Representative Interview

personal interview with HR manager

Cashiers/Loaders/Stock/Clean-up Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fountain Valley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fountain Valley, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJ Maxx in October 2013.

The interview process was one of the best interviews I have ever had. I was well organized. I gave my manager the best reasonable answer as I could possibly give.

Interview Questions
    • Describe to me a time when you had problems with your supervisor or coworkers?   Answer Question

Merchandise Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at TJ Maxx.

They called and we set up an interview. After the interview I was called by the end of the week, as promised.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty basic customer service questions. Nothing hard, just google interview questions to be more prepared!   Answer Question
    There wasn't negotiation. Asked if pay was okay, if not too bad.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at TJ Maxx in September 2013.

Filled out an application in stores and was called in for an interview a couple days later where they told me they just needed to check with my references and get back to me. A few days after my interview I received a call saying that I was hired and asked if I could start training the next day.

Merchandise/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJ Maxx in September 2013.

The associate store manager asked you many questions, and if they feel you are suitable for this position, you will have a 2nd interview with the store manager, who will decide whether to hire you or not. The questions are: what does customer services mean to you, your opinion about team work, your experience about tough task, what is the most and least thing you like during your last job, how do you handle feedback from previous supervisors, how to work in multi-culture environment. I never thought finding a part-time job is so complicated in TJMaxx!

Customer Experience Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookfield, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookfield, WI

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at TJ Maxx in September 2013.

Responded to posting online. Assistant manager emailed an interview time and day. Store manager called to confirm. Arrived at interview a few minutes early. I got hired on the spot. The process was pretty comfortable. I think I impressed him with my patience when we kept getting interrupted. I also greeted the staff and welcomed them into the office. As a supervisor, I know what it's like to be in a meeting while keeping watch of the store. We built a rapport on sharing the same experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Typical customer service questions at the management level: How do you feel about delegating tasks? What is teamwork? How do you evaluate performance? Sell me on a TJX credit card? How do you deal with laziness on your shift?   Answer Question
    Little room for negotiation. Assistant manager was hesitant on hiring me because of my previous pay rates, but I assured him it didn't bother me and that I'd work my way up.