TJ Maxx Interview Questions

2.1

Customer Experience Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookfield, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brookfield, WI

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at TJ Maxx in September 2013.

Responded to posting online. Assistant manager emailed an interview time and day. Store manager called to confirm. Arrived at interview a few minutes early. I got hired on the spot. The process was pretty comfortable. I think I impressed him with my patience when we kept getting interrupted. I also greeted the staff and welcomed them into the office. As a supervisor, I know what it's like to be in a meeting while keeping watch of the store. We built a rapport on sharing the same experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Typical customer service questions at the management level: How do you feel about delegating tasks? What is teamwork? How do you evaluate performance? Sell me on a TJX credit card? How do you deal with laziness on your shift?   Answer Question
    Little room for negotiation. Assistant manager was hesitant on hiring me because of my previous pay rates, but I assured him it didn't bother me and that I'd work my way up.

Corporate Merchandising Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJ Maxx in September 2013.

I gave my resume to TJ Maxx at my school's career fair and then uploaded my resume onto my school's career database. They contacted me for an interview within 2 weeks of submitting resume online. I was given 1 online assessment, 1 video/online interview, 1 group interview, and 1 in-office interview.

Interview Questions
    • What other companies and positions are you applying for?   View Answer

Merchandise Coordinator Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at TJ Maxx in September 2013.

I met with the store manager since it was for a transfer request and I had already worked at Marshalls. The interview took almost an hour since she wanted to hear all about my experienece at Marshalls. Overall it was an easy process since I already did the job before but was trying to get full-time.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected. Usual behavioral type questions asking about customer service and working with a team.   Answer Question
    They do not let you negotiate at all. They only give a $1 raise from your part-time associate pay if you started part-time.

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TJ Maxx in September 2013.

The first step in the hiring process is, of course, to apply for jobs and to get your application into contention for the jobs you are interested in. Here's a step by step guide to apply for a job, including how to apply for a job online, how to fill out a job application

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at TJ Maxx.

Simple interview with store manager. Just ask a few questions to see if you have sales or cashier experience.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Wages were set.

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJ Maxx.

I saw a 'now hiring' sign on my local store so I printed an app at home and took it in. I got a call for an interview pretty soon after that, maybe 4-6 days after I took my app in. I set up an interview for later in that week. My interview was scheduled for 6pm. I arrived at about 5:45, sat and waited for the manager to be ready for me until about 6:10-6:15 so that seemed pretty unprofessional to me. The interview itself was fairly easy. It lasted about 30 min, but the manager told me we could hasten the process if I needed to be somewhere. I reassured him I had plenty of time but thought it was nice that he offered that. Basic questions like how I work well in a team, what my strengths are, etc. I was pretty certain that I was going to get hired because the manager told me when the orientation was going to be held and that I would need my license and SS card with me when I attended. He also went into details of the dress code so that further confirmed my thoughts that I was getting hired. I got a phone call from another manager 4-5 days later offering me the job and telling me the same orientation time and details that had been given to me in my interview.

Interview Questions
    • Probably what I liked least about my previous jobs, because it was hard to communicate those feelings without sounding whiney.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at TJ Maxx in July 2013.

I applied online, I was called a week later by hr person to set up interview. Interviewed with store manager couple of days later. I had to fill out paper application before 1st interview. Interviewed with District manager following week. I walked stores and spoke to managers at local stores. Managers at stores friendly answers questions.

Interview Questions
    • Super easy questions, not structered at all. Tell me about shirnk? Tell me about your self
      I was not prepared to fill out paper application at store. I had already uploaded my resume, and filled out online job application.
        Answer Question
    Small room for negotiation. I got 3 weeks of paid vacation after 2 years instead of 5 years. Not flexable on pay

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Islip, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Islip, NY

I applied online through snag a job. The next day I missed a called from the manager who wanted to set up the interview. I called him back and set up the interview for the following week. Once I arrived there I found out that he had to leave for a family emergency and was told to call back the following day. Unfortunately my phone broke so I wasn't able to do so.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question they ask was what I hate doing on a daily basics or along those lines.   View Answer

Merchandise/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at TJ Maxx in July 2013.

The interview was insanely relaxed, it barely even felt like an interview. I was nervous, of course, but it went very smoothly. Within 10 minutes, I had a job offer. All I can say is, be as personable as possible, show them that you're a real person. Make eye contact, make them remember you!

Interview Questions
    • None relatable to the average person. "So, are you going to tell me why you left school, or do I have to ask?" Apparently I had put down that I was sick on my application, whoops! I also mentioned me having to leave school (because of cancer) and getting my GED because of it. He did like that I was honest though.   Answer Question

Retail Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lagrange, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lagrange, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TJ Maxx in July 2013.

the interview was in one room at our local Dept of labor and various people were doing mass interviews for two days with associates from up and running TJ Maxx stores.

Interview Questions
    • nothing out of ordinary, asked what weaknesses and strengths were, also asked when I had a situation with upset customer and how I handled it   Answer Question
    no opportunity