TJ Maxx Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Point, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Point, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJ Maxx in June 2014.

Applied online, took 5 days for them to call back. Missed the call, but they left a message to call back to set up an interview. Called back as soon as I could, but the one who called me was done with her shift, so I called the next day. They asked me to come the next day at 11:30 for the interview. Next day, I went in told an associate at the counter that I had an interview at 11:30. They asked me to take a seat. A few minutes later the manager handed me an application to fill out. Afterwards, we went to his office it was a little messy at the moment. We sat down and he immediately asked "What brings you here?" I was a little stunned because he hadn't introduced himself and I was expecting an introduction. I even forgot to give him my resume and cover letter. It took me a few seconds to recover from that, but afterwards I felt like it went well. The manager then proceeded to explain to me what a merchandiser/sales associate would be doing day to day. They asked me if I could do that. I said "Yes, definitely." The store manager suddenly came in and introduced herself and shook my hand. The manager then went back to asking about my availability during summer and after summer since I am in college. They asked me if I had any questions. I did and I think both of them appreciated that. I asked again if they had any additional questions. They had none. The manager told me they would contact me within a week about the result. I shook his hand and the store managers hand. Then went home. They called exactly a week later, and told me to come to orientation. I forgot to ask about pay and benefits on the phone but will make sure that I will first thing on orientation day.

Store manager and Manager were very nice. I told the manager I was a bit nervous since it was my first interview and he said "Don't be I'm nice, most of the time." Manager joked around during the interview too.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult for someone who has experience getting interviewed or has prepared extensively for an interview. However, a bit stunned when he asked "What brings you here?" without introducing himself, since it was my first ever interview, and I did not prepare as much as I should have.   View Answer

Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at TJ Maxx in June 2014.

Usually, screened by one or more current store managers to get a feel for the position and company culture and to review qualifications for the position if Store Manager(s) feel you maybe a good match you are than interviewed by a district manager. You must past a back ground check. No skill or drug testing is required.

Interview Questions
    • Behavior based leadership questions. Tell me about... a reward structure or incentive that you established to accomplish a goal. How effective was it? Describe how you organize your day?   Answer Question

Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood, SC

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at TJ Maxx.

Filled out an application on sight and submitted it with the manager on duty (MOD). Was called immediately for interview with store manager and met other management staff the same day. I was invited to orientation the same week and hired of course.

Interview Questions
    • Would I be interested in applying for their management training program?   View Answer
    There wasn't any, everyone started at the same pay regardless of credentials and everyone was expected to start as part-time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at TJ Maxx in May 2014.

It was a two part interview. If you fill out an application online you will have to refill out an actual application. I t was a group interview, we met with the assistant managers they asked us about ourselves and showed us around the store. They said if they liked you they would give you a call for an interview with the store manager. That same day I got a call for an interview the following day. The store manager asked "why would I like to work at Tj Maxx". " What does customer service mean to you". What do you like most about customer service. Those were the only questions asked and I was hired. The process was pretty easy. Good Luck!

Interview Questions
    They start off at minimum. no negotiation

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJ Maxx in May 2014.

Filled out the application and interviewed the same day. Follow up was good. Met with the Manager who was very straight forward and very clear on expectations for success. Had a chance for tour of the store and brief discussion with other associate after being hired.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation as there are set rates

Merchandise/Sales Associate Interview

took 3 weeks to confirm if hired and had to start with at least 5 others for training purposes. watched several videos once hired during orientation. Told the dos and don't late absence..etc interview was easy they are always hiring. dress professional and you will get the job.

Interview Questions
    • how long you plan to stay was a difficult questions when your not sure if your the right fit until you get your foot in the door to see how things really are. always have been one to feel my way before saying too much.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at TJ Maxx.

Cold call to my current employer

Interview Questions
    • If you were a tree , What kind of tree would you be?   View Answer
    none

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at TJ Maxx.

They saw that I had 2 yrs exp, so an interview was scheduled 1 day after I dropped off my app., then they called 1 day after the interview to hire me and I was working in 5 days. This was great! Before xmas i was working 20-30 hrs per week, and training included knowing how to do a lot of things, not just cashiering, so it makes the team stronger so we can help everyone better. Closing shift is my favorite because they schedule to leave at 10:15, but if things are not done, we will work till 11:30 or later, thereby adding more time to our check.

Interview Questions
    All of us cashiers already know that if that's your job there is NO negotiating, and if i am over 50, and half of my coworkers are under 20, they'll just skip hiring me and hire a teenager who is fine with minimum wage.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at TJ Maxx.

they ask you the about how much volume you had in your other job (jobs). ( amount of money the store brings in) . they ask how you handle different interactions with employee and customers.

make sure you have proven sales track. plus coming from a big box store really helps

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at TJ Maxx in March 2014.

I was called over the phone for an interview after a few days of submitting my application in person. I arrive at the interview and there are other people. Obviously, it was a group interview. The HR manager introduces herself and walks us to the back office. There were 6 of us. We have a seat and then, other managers file in. They introduce themselves and then start talking about the company. We talk a tour of the store then go back to the office. They didn't ask any questions. They basically did all the talking, and at the end, said, "Okay, well you guys look like a good bunch. If we are interested in you, we'll give you a call."

Interview Questions
    • Nothing. Just show up. I was professionally dressed but just so you know, TJ Maxx standards are very low. If you are dressed in the typical business attire, slacks and button down or blouse and pencil skirt, you're too good for TJ's. Seriously. Look elsewhere.   Answer Question
    8.00 to everyone. $1.00 raise for merchandise coordinators, so $9. weekly pay