TJX Companies

Getting the Interview

15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Allocation Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at TJX Companies.

Interview Details – Come in with an understanding of how to provide a shipping a strategy. i.e. If you are asked to ship raincoats, think about the location as to where you are shipping them to, time of year, customer base, how many you would like to have in an average store, how many are currently in stores. If you can answer all this during your mock strategies, they will think you are a star!

Interview Question – What do you think is the role of an Allocation Analyst?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes. I inquired about a possibility of a higher salary and they raised it by $2,000 but said no higher than that.

Allocation Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies in November 2012.

Interview Details – They flew me up to Boston for the interview, put me up in a hotel and provided all transportation. The interview was broken up into two sections, before lunch we were given a tour of the campus and then we had a lunch and went into the interview process. I had 10 different separate interviews with different people. It was difficult at first but after the first two I got the hang of it and I though I did really well on the remaining interviews.

Interview Question – They were mostly behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Framingham, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies in May 2012.

Interview Details – At the HQ office
Breakfast
Individual assessment
Group assessment
Group assessment #2
Lunch
Interviews with 2 HR people
Job shadow

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to solve a problem at work   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is difficult but possible.

Framingham Center, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TJX Companies in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and had to fill out an application and take a test. It took about three days for a recruiter to contact me. I had two phone interviews with two different recruiters before they invited me to an interview day at the home office. The interview day is actually a full day so be prepared and eat a good breakfast. I had one on one interviews with HR managers, Buyers and Planning managers. It is mentally draining but the good news is they ask you similar questions. Afterward you go on a job shadow and learn from a full time analyst what the job entails. Do not dawdle on this part; the job shadow is also part of the interview process and the anaylst you talk to will be evaluating you as well. Afterward you will eat lunch with the hiring team; make sure you are at your best, they will be assessing you further. The last part of the interview day is the group assessment. You will be presented with a scenario where you will have to put together a shipping strategy and then work together with your fellow interviewees to put together a final strategy. The important thing here is to voice your opinion, justify it and stay as involved as possible in the group discussion. The PM's, Buyers and HR managers will be assessing you the whole time. After the interview day, It took 4 days before a recruiter contacted me stating that I had gotten the job. My advice to you during the process, make sure you always have a positive attitude, understand the company culture, emphasize your skills in analysis and go to the stores to get an understanding of the product that is sold in each. When walking the stores look at the layout of the store as well as the products.

Interview Question – They might ask you if you know who their off price competitors are.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – SInce this is an entry level position there is not a lot you can negotiate on however if you are relocating, you can negotiate for anything that you may need that is not covered in the relocation package. They are very accomodating and will more than likely grant any reasonable request.

Boston, MA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies in March 2012.

Interview Details – The first internew was over the internet asking basic situational questions about how you used analytical skills in past jobs. Then you sit in a group presentation and allocate merchandise both individually and as a team. If you perform well on this, you'll get invited to Boston to tour the campus and go through a series of 1 on 1 interviews.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to use analytical skills in your previous job.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I declined the offer to attend the final round interview because I accepted another position.

Framingham, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies in April 2010.

Interview Details – phone interview, 3 1:1, analytical assesment, group presentaion

Interview Question – what can TJX do to improve its stores   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies in August 2009.

Interview Details – Not offered the job because the interviewer made an unfair impression that I wasn't interested in the company.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to persuede someone to see something your own way.   Answer Question

Framingham, MA

The process took 3 months - interviewed at TJX Companies in April 2010.

Interview Details – Easy application and then short analytical test. Two phone interviews. (First with HR about general personality. Then with Buyer about background and skills). Contacted within two weeks about final interview in MA. One 5 hour on the site interview where they fly you out and pay for everything. Flew and got picked up in limo and put in nice hotel next to company. Got offer in two weeks.

Interview Question – What is one item that we should add to our merchandise selection?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation except for the start date.

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at TJX Companies in November 2013.

Interview Details – After attending information session at Ryeron university, i applied through online. They phoned first to set up a schedule for the formal phone interview. Interview was about 30 minutes.

Interview Question – difficulties or challenges that you solved during group work   Answer Question

Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at TJX Companies in October 2013.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview with recruiter. Discussed past experience. Discussed what I know of TJX companies operations and such.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to solve a problem by research   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at TJX Companies

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TJX Companies Allocation Analyst interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by TJX Companies employees and interview candidates.