TJX Companies

Updated Nov 22, 2014

3.3

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Allocation Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies.

First, you had to take an online HireVue interview. Very awkward. There are 9 questions and you have 30 seconds to decide on an answer. When the 30 seconds are up, it starts recording you. Answers were focused on the position more than general interview questions.
After that, I had Assessment Day. This was a LONG day. You shadow an analyst, have lunch, and then you have a data analysis problem. You have 30 min to work on it alone. After that, you and your group discuss and come to an agreement, while recruiters watch and take notes.
After that, you have 3 interviews, back to back.

Interview Questions
  • Name a time where you had to be analytical.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you used resourcefulness to solve a problem.   Answer Question
I planned to negotiate, but was offered the amount I wanted.

Other Interview Reviews for TJX Companies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at TJX Companies.

I spoke with the recruiter and applied through University career link. Within a week, I got an email to complete a virtual interview within 3 business days. The 9 questions were pretty straightforward including basic questions about what the job entails, one math questions, and a couple behavioral questions. Just completed the virtual interview so I have yet to hear back.

Interview Questions
    • If you were an allocation analyst and a product was not doing so well, why could this be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies.

You will first start with a video interview if your application is received well. That is pre-recorded and will be sent in. Then they will invite you to participate in a Assessment Day. They will cover travel and room and board. Once there, they will introduce you to the company, do a mock data testing where you allocate jackets to different stores, you will share and develop a strategy with a small group of other interviewees, interview with three different people, then tour the building, have lunch, and shadow an analyst. Overall, it is low stress and the people there are very nice.

Interview Questions
    • We can tell that you are interested in fashion, trends, and the industry, are you sure you would like a job that is only numbers?   Answer Question

Allocation Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies in April 2014.

Submitted resume through website, then had a video-recorded interview, then final round interview at TJX headquarters in Framingham, MA. The first round was easy and behavioral based, asking you about leadership, analytical skills scenario, etc. The final round was a full day beginning with job shadow of a current allocation analyst, then a case analysis question, then a group case analysis, then 3 rounds of one on one interviews. I was asked a lot of questions about my experience in merchandising, most specifically my internship -- they went very in-depth with my resume about that. It was overall very pleasant, and I got along really well with my interviewers. They really emphasize relationship building, communication, leadership, and analytical skills.

Interview Questions
    • Why did your previous employer (internship) not extend you a job offer?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies in November 2013.

Very long, the HR process could be greatly improved. Always took a very long time to get back. The interview was overwhelming as it was in a group. The job shadow was the most helpful as they actually showed you what you would be doing.

Allocation Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at TJX Companies.

Come in with an understanding of how to provide a shipping a strategy. i.e. If you are asked to ship raincoats, think about the location as to where you are shipping them to, time of year, customer base, how many you would like to have in an average store, how many are currently in stores. If you can answer all this during your mock strategies, they will think you are a star!

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is the role of an Allocation Analyst?   View Answer
    Yes. I inquired about a possibility of a higher salary and they raised it by $2,000 but said no higher than that.

Allocation Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies in November 2012.

They flew me up to Boston for the interview, put me up in a hotel and provided all transportation. The interview was broken up into two sections, before lunch we were given a tour of the campus and then we had a lunch and went into the interview process. I had 10 different separate interviews with different people. It was difficult at first but after the first two I got the hang of it and I though I did really well on the remaining interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies in May 2012.

At the HQ office
    Breakfast
    Individual assessment
    Group assessment
    Group assessment #2
    Lunch
    Interviews with 2 HR people
    Job shadow

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to solve a problem at work   Answer Question
    Negotiation is difficult but possible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TJX Companies in March 2012.

The first internew was over the internet asking basic situational questions about how you used analytical skills in past jobs. Then you sit in a group presentation and allocate merchandise both individually and as a team. If you perform well on this, you'll get invited to Boston to tour the campus and go through a series of 1 on 1 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to use analytical skills in your previous job.   View Answer

I declined the offer to attend the final round interview because I accepted another position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham Center, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham Center, MA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at TJX Companies in September 2011.

I applied online and had to fill out an application and take a test. It took about three days for a recruiter to contact me. I had two phone interviews with two different recruiters before they invited me to an interview day at the home office. The interview day is actually a full day so be prepared and eat a good breakfast. I had one on one interviews with HR managers, Buyers and Planning managers. It is mentally draining but the good news is they ask you similar questions. Afterward you go on a job shadow and learn from a full time analyst what the job entails. Do not dawdle on this part; the job shadow is also part of the interview process and the anaylst you talk to will be evaluating you as well. Afterward you will eat lunch with the hiring team; make sure you are at your best, they will be assessing you further. The last part of the interview day is the group assessment. You will be presented with a scenario where you will have to put together a shipping strategy and then work together with your fellow interviewees to put together a final strategy. The important thing here is to voice your opinion, justify it and stay as involved as possible in the group discussion. The PM's, Buyers and HR managers will be assessing you the whole time. After the interview day, It took 4 days before a recruiter contacted me stating that I had gotten the job. My advice to you during the process, make sure you always have a positive attitude, understand the company culture, emphasize your skills in analysis and go to the stores to get an understanding of the product that is sold in each. When walking the stores look at the layout of the store as well as the products.

Interview Questions
    • They might ask you if you know who their off price competitors are.   View Answer
    SInce this is an entry level position there is not a lot you can negotiate on however if you are relocating, you can negotiate for anything that you may need that is not covered in the relocation package. They are very accomodating and will more than likely grant any reasonable request.