TJX Companies

TJX Companies Buyer I Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Buyer I Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TJX Companies in August 2011.

I was emailed on LinkedIn by a recruiter. We set up a time to talk on the phone, which was an hour-long conversation about the open buyer position. Then, I was asked to interview with the GMM in person. I went to TJX and interviewed with both the recruiter (1 hour) and the GMM. It seemed that the recruiter's main goal was to provide information about the buyer position and to directly ascertain my salary level. The GMM interview was scheduled for 1 hour but ended up taking over 2 hours. He asked questions from my resume interspersed with descriptions of common situations that buyers dealt with. He also asked some general questions about my personality and the way I approach work and organize changing priorities, a busy schedule, and managing a team. It went well, and I was asked to interview with the SVP. Again, I met with the recruiter first (again, general information about the role and confirmed salary level). Then the interview with the SVP took less than one hour. I think that because I mentioned I was happy at my current job, it might have caused the interview to end early. That was my mistake.

Perceptions of the people, office, and work culture:
TJX has three buildings at 770 Cochituate Road, and two more nearby. It is a huge place with thousands of employees based in Framingham. When I asked, the GMM said that one thing he would want to change about TJX is that it is a large, bureacratic, slow-moving organization. They do what they do well, but it is difficult to implement change - there is red tape and a full bureacracy to deal with. That said, the average tenure of a TJX employee is 19 years which is incredible. All the people I met seemed very nice and happy to be there, which was great to see.

Interview Questions