TJX Companies Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 17, 2014
176 interviews

2.8

Loss Prevention Detective Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies.

I had interviewed with TJX before, but wasn't hired because they wanted to talk to my supervisor at my job at the time, but I didn't want them to know I was looking to leave without an offer on the table. The interviews were both very pleasant and relaxed. Mostly conversational about your knowledge of loss prevention and sharing old stories! The only odd part was the first manager wanting to talk to my supervisor when I had provided them our HR number to confirm employment. The second manager simply let Lexis Nexis handle all of my background. I applied online and received a call for an interview in about two weeks. At the interview, they had me complete some further paperwork for my background check. My background check was said to take between one and three weeks, but mine took about 10 days. Another guy hired with me at the same time took three weeks though. Overall it appears their interviews are more about what you know instead of how you interview which really helps those who know LP well.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your most difficult shoplifter apprehension.   Answer Question
    I chose not to negotiate as they offered me what I had requested on my application and were very fair.

Merchandising Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies.

The whole process took about a month. Started with a phone interview, didn't hear back for 2 weeks and then was contacted for an in person interview. The second interview involved meeting with 5 managers, individually.

Merchandise Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at TJX Companies in July 2014.

I thought the interviewer was relaxed but professional. Just be yourself and engaging. Make sure you have eye contact and smile. They asked very basic questions and the schedule seem to be very flexible.

Interview Questions

it was personal reason....had nothing to do with the job

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  DFW, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DFW, TX

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at TJX Companies in August 2010.

You will be contacted by the district secretary to set up an interview. You will be given a preliminary interview by a store manager, but not necessarily the one you will be working with. They will ask you about your past experience, your reasons for wanting to work for the company, and your knowledge of the company. There are no real set questions, so the length of the interview depends of the interviewing style of the manager. After they give their recommendations to the district manager, if they decide in your favor, you will be asked to go into a second interview with the district manager. He will then again ask you a series of questions that may or may not be the same as the ones asked by the store manager. Keep in mind, that the ORDER of these two interviews could be reversed. The amount of time you will then wait for a response will then depend on the urgency of filling the position.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you feel that this would be the right move for you?( I was wanting to transfer divisions)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Southlake, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southlake, TX

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at TJX Companies in May 2012.

I met once with the store manager and began work the following week after my interview and after my background check had been processed. The two store managers were very nice and willing to work with pre-arranged vacation plans that my family and I had. It was also pretty easy to request a certain number of hours.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was quite basic and involved the interviewer getting to know you rather than difficult questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at TJX Companies.

very quick and easy interview..questions about background and prior experience...the process was just really a way of getting to know you. If you get interviewed you basically have the job.

no negotiation process...they offer a salary and you either take it or leave it

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at TJX Companies.

I called to show my interest and was called for an interview within a week. Went through 2 interviews. The offices were very clean and the interviewers were polite. The questions were basic and simple.

Interview Questions
    • The unexpected questions were the scenarios of what would do with certain situations.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Framingham, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TJX Companies in May 2014.

I applied via LinkedIn for an IR role but they were close to extending an offer to a candidate already in process. However, several days later recruiting emailed me to set up a phone call to talk about a couple of other finance roles as they liked my academic and professional background. I was really impressed with the TJX recruiter as she was very detailed in explaining the culture of TJX ("we're nerds about work and think about it over the weekend") and drilling down into my experience. She said that I'd likely be a good fit at the end of the call and 1.5 wks later they emailed me to schedule an on-site visit.

The visit consisted of four 30-minute 1-on-1 interviews, mostly about my previous experience. I learned that TJX fosters an internal networking culture so coffee chats and lunches are highly encouraged. Due to a series of flight delays and cancellations, I ended up staying the night at a hotel by Logan and their travel agent was very helpful in arranging my unplanned accommodations. I received an expense reimbursement for all of my T&E costs within 4 weeks. I have recently traveled for other interviews and some companies have taken longer to mail a check or provided only partial reimbursement.

Interview Questions
    • What are examples of fixed and variable costs associated with our business?   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at TJX Companies.

They came to my campus career fair and asked me if I wanted an interview with them the next day at my campus. I took the interview it went well, after that I never heard back from them, nothing.

Interview Questions
    • What would make you a better manager than other managers?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies.

I had two interviews, the first with the hiring manager, which was a great interview. We did not really discuss much about the job itself, but I felt very at ease. My second interview with the store manager was awkward and did not leave me very excited about the chance to come to work.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any unexpected questions in this interview. It was very run of the mill.   Answer Question

Worked for TJX Companies? Contribute to the Community!