TJX Companies Interview Questions

Updated Sep 21, 2014
Updated Sep 21, 2014

2.8

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at TJX Companies.

They hire everyone, doesn't really matter- as long as you get called in for the interview you have essentialy got the job. Ask you a few questions about previous work experience- but they hire a lot of people on as their first job

Allocation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Framingham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies.

You will first start with a video interview if your application is received well. That is pre-recorded and will be sent in. Then they will invite you to participate in a Assessment Day. They will cover travel and room and board. Once there, they will introduce you to the company, do a mock data testing where you allocate jackets to different stores, you will share and develop a strategy with a small group of other interviewees, interview with three different people, then tour the building, have lunch, and shadow an analyst. Overall, it is low stress and the people there are very nice.

Interview Questions
    • We can tell that you are interested in fashion, trends, and the industry, are you sure you would like a job that is only numbers?   Answer Question

Corporate Merchandise Training Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at TJX Companies.

I applied online and the first step is to fill out a personality survey and a kind of math quiz. After that I was notified by a recruiter that I was being moved to the next step which was a one-way interview through Hireview. This consisted of 6 questions that you had 3 minutes each to answer. A few weeks after that I was contacted and told that I was through to the final phase which was an assessment day located at the headquarters. This consisted of a short presentation then a job shadow. After lunch we did an allocation exercise, which you had to complete alone and then come to a group decision. After that we had 3 interviews with recruiters.

Interview Questions
    • Not super difficult questions, mostly behavioral, ex. tell me about a time you were creative. The hardest part was doing the interviews at the end of the day, it was definitely an exhausting day!   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Framingham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TJX Companies in May 2014.

I applied via LinkedIn for an IR role but they were close to extending an offer to a candidate already in process. However, several days later recruiting emailed me to set up a phone call to talk about a couple of other finance roles as they liked my academic and professional background. I was really impressed with the TJX recruiter as she was very detailed in explaining the culture of TJX ("we're nerds about work and think about it over the weekend") and drilling down into my experience. She said that I'd likely be a good fit at the end of the call and 1.5 wks later they emailed me to schedule an on-site visit.

The visit consisted of four 30-minute 1-on-1 interviews, mostly about my previous experience. I learned that TJX fosters an internal networking culture so coffee chats and lunches are highly encouraged. Due to a series of flight delays and cancellations, I ended up staying the night at a hotel by Logan and their travel agent was very helpful in arranging my unplanned accommodations. I received an expense reimbursement for all of my T&E costs within 4 weeks. I have recently traveled for other interviews and some companies have taken longer to mail a check or provided only partial reimbursement.

Interview Questions
    • What are examples of fixed and variable costs associated with our business?   View Answer

Assistant Store Manager - Operations Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at TJX Companies.

Easy process, DM met me ask questions about culture, values and goals

Interview Questions
    • Didn't expect to be asked about my contribution to my community   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies in April 2014.

Luckily I had 2 interviews at the same day. First with hiring manager and right after that with store manager. Very comfortable environment. HM read and asked question from a list she had (I think they ask those question to each candidate).

Allocation Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at TJX Companies in April 2014.

Submitted resume through website, then had a video-recorded interview, then final round interview at TJX headquarters in Framingham, MA. The first round was easy and behavioral based, asking you about leadership, analytical skills scenario, etc. The final round was a full day beginning with job shadow of a current allocation analyst, then a case analysis question, then a group case analysis, then 3 rounds of one on one interviews. I was asked a lot of questions about my experience in merchandising, most specifically my internship -- they went very in-depth with my resume about that. It was overall very pleasant, and I got along really well with my interviewers. They really emphasize relationship building, communication, leadership, and analytical skills.

Interview Questions
    • Why did your previous employer (internship) not extend you a job offer?   View Answer

Merchandise Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TJX Companies.

I applied for the position and got a call back for a phone interview 2 weeks later. Then it took about a month to get an in-person interview. Everyone I spoke with on the phone and through e-mail were friendly.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot of behavioral questions for example, tell me about a time you didn't have all the facts and what did you do to complete the task and how did you go about it.   Answer Question

Technical Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at TJX Companies.

Initially came in as a contractor to help strengthen communications. The interviewing manager made the process very comfortable and welcoming for me to illustrate my applicable experience, and any areas that I may have felt that some training would help in order to acclimate quickly with the open position. We had a long friendly discussion about the balance of work and family relevant to the working hours required to be covered in the target position. He offered of course the flexibility of start and end times maintaining awareness of the required coverage. After discussing the salary, and accepting the position, we walked out together and he mentioned that he enjoyed the interview so much that he was going to see if he could get me more money than earlier discussed. Three months later more money did show up in my paycheck!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult at all. All the questions and expectations were right on point. Anything new that had not been anticipated was collectively resolved by the sharing and application of ideas.   Answer Question
    No negotiation needed. The hiring manager was delighted with my interview and saw to it that I got a nominal raise three months after hiring.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at TJX Companies in March 2014.

General questions concerning leadership and why you would choose working for TJX. What are your strongest leadership qualities?

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if given a position in which you have no retail experience in?   Answer Question
    Offer was to a final interview.