TJX Companies Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2014

2.8

Allocation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies.

You will first start with a video interview if your application is received well. That is pre-recorded and will be sent in. Then they will invite you to participate in a Assessment Day. They will cover travel and room and board. Once there, they will introduce you to the company, do a mock data testing where you allocate jackets to different stores, you will share and develop a strategy with a small group of other interviewees, interview with three different people, then tour the building, have lunch, and shadow an analyst. Overall, it is low stress and the people there are very nice.

Interview Questions
    • We can tell that you are interested in fashion, trends, and the industry, are you sure you would like a job that is only numbers?   Answer Question

Corporate Merchandise Training Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at TJX Companies.

I applied online and the first step is to fill out a personality survey and a kind of math quiz. After that I was notified by a recruiter that I was being moved to the next step which was a one-way interview through Hireview. This consisted of 6 questions that you had 3 minutes each to answer. A few weeks after that I was contacted and told that I was through to the final phase which was an assessment day located at the headquarters. This consisted of a short presentation then a job shadow. After lunch we did an allocation exercise, which you had to complete alone and then come to a group decision. After that we had 3 interviews with recruiters.

Interview Questions
    • Not super difficult questions, mostly behavioral, ex. tell me about a time you were creative. The hardest part was doing the interviews at the end of the day, it was definitely an exhausting day!   Answer Question

Allocation Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at TJX Companies in April 2014.

Submitted resume through website, then had a video-recorded interview, then final round interview at TJX headquarters in Framingham, MA. The first round was easy and behavioral based, asking you about leadership, analytical skills scenario, etc. The final round was a full day beginning with job shadow of a current allocation analyst, then a case analysis question, then a group case analysis, then 3 rounds of one on one interviews. I was asked a lot of questions about my experience in merchandising, most specifically my internship -- they went very in-depth with my resume about that. It was overall very pleasant, and I got along really well with my interviewers. They really emphasize relationship building, communication, leadership, and analytical skills.

Interview Questions
    • Why did your previous employer (internship) not extend you a job offer?   View Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies in May 2012.

Experience, communication skills, excel and analytical skills

Assistant Store Manager - Operations Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at TJX Companies.

Easy process, DM met me ask questions about culture, values and goals

Interview Questions
    • Didn't expect to be asked about my contribution to my community   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at TJX Companies in March 2014.

General questions concerning leadership and why you would choose working for TJX. What are your strongest leadership qualities?

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if given a position in which you have no retail experience in?   Answer Question
    Offer was to a final interview.

Visual Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies in January 2014.

HR contacted me soon after applying for the position and set up a phone interview. Afterwards, they quickly set up a in-person interview. The HR staff was friendly, organized and available to answer questions. The in-person interview consisted of five interviews, one with the HR consultant and four with the senior managers of the team. Everyone was friendly, welcoming and offered me water.

Interview Questions
    • - Walk me through how you set up and complete a project from start to finish
      - Why do you want to move into the retail space?
      - Provide one recommendation for the team
        Answer Question

Merchandise Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TJX Companies.

I applied for the position and got a call back for a phone interview 2 weeks later. Then it took about a month to get an in-person interview. Everyone I spoke with on the phone and through e-mail were friendly.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a lot of behavioral questions for example, tell me about a time you didn't have all the facts and what did you do to complete the task and how did you go about it.   Answer Question

Merchandise Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TJX Companies in February 2014.

I applied online through my university's career website. I then received an email for the first round of interviews, which happened to be a one-way interview on hirevue. This portion was a little awkward. It is basically a skype interview, but you're not having a conversation with another individual; you're just being recorded. These questions were very basic though. They just want to get a general sense of who you are. Then, 3 days later I received an email asking me to fly to their headquarters for a day consisting of a group allocation analysis, an office tour, and 3 interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What was your biggest contribution to your last job?
      Why do you want to work at TJX?
        Answer Question

Technical Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at TJX Companies.

Initially came in as a contractor to help strengthen communications. The interviewing manager made the process very comfortable and welcoming for me to illustrate my applicable experience, and any areas that I may have felt that some training would help in order to acclimate quickly with the open position. We had a long friendly discussion about the balance of work and family relevant to the working hours required to be covered in the target position. He offered of course the flexibility of start and end times maintaining awareness of the required coverage. After discussing the salary, and accepting the position, we walked out together and he mentioned that he enjoyed the interview so much that he was going to see if he could get me more money than earlier discussed. Three months later more money did show up in my paycheck!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult at all. All the questions and expectations were right on point. Anything new that had not been anticipated was collectively resolved by the sharing and application of ideas.   Answer Question
    No negotiation needed. The hiring manager was delighted with my interview and saw to it that I got a nominal raise three months after hiring.