TNTP

Relevance Date Difficulty

Executive Assistant Lead Interview

Executive Assistant Lead
Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at TNTP in August 2014.

Interview Details – Very extensive interview process containing 3 different phone interviews, a lengthy written exercise/test that is submitted over a few days period, and an in-person interview involving flying to corp. office in new york. Successfully passed all stages except the last in-person meeting with the CFO and CEO. I thought these interviews were a little odd and intense. I have interviewed (successfully) with multiple CFO's and CEO's for prior positions and these were very different. The CEO went down a list asking me very standard "old school" type of HR questions such as "Explain a failure and how you handled it" and "When were you unhappiest and why?" and was typing notes in her laptop as I spoke. I'm accustomed to CEO's being more conversational and intuitive in assessing candidates. They usually speak more in sharing their vision and current priorities as well. This CEO didn't speak much at all except in the end to share the cultural challenges with me and ask if I had any questions. The meeting had a formal tone with intense scrutiny and as such, I was less at ease. The CFO meeting was slightly more relaxed, but still felt odd. It felt more like a strategic planning session, as the CFO diagrammed out on a whiteboard the departmental structure and was marking my responses on the board to questions such as what did I envision would be the core priorities for the group I would be working with and how I would go about the job basically. It was tough to be specific without knowing greater detail about the internal processes/procedures and the specific challenges involved. There were also momentary awkward pauses as she looked at me and wasn't asking questions or responding to what I what I had just said. I was rejected as I suspected I would be after those meetings. I nicely asked for feedback to learn what they were seeking that I lacked which could be very helpful in my interview process. Disappointing that after 1.5months of interviews/test, they refused to provide me any feedback for their decision citing "company policy". Not a TNTP fan.

Software Developer/Database Administrator Interview

Software Developer/Database Administrator
Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TNTP in April 2010.

Interview Details – Hiring began with an initial phone screening, not a technical interview, by the project manager. More of a test to see if I had the wright personality. A week later, this was followed by a face to face interview with the development team. This was a combination of a technical interview, and an opportunity for the team to "feel you out". some weeks later I got an offer for a 3 month contract. This was later extended to 6 months.

Interview Questions

• Given your experience, do you expect to take on a lead / management position? because this is not a lead or management position.   View Answer
  • What is the word for null in vb?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – the initial offer was for $50 / hour. I was able to negotiate a rate of $60 / hour. My advice is to remember that this is a not for profit, and don't expect to make a killing. Also, they are very picky. My offer was a contract to hire, and despite the contact extension, in the end they didn't hire me. I suspect that part of the reason why I wasn't brought on permanent was due to the high rate which I negotiated.

Worked for TNTP? Contribute to the Community!