TNTP Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2014
Updated Sep 3, 2014

3.7

Project Manager Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at TNTP.

Emailed with hiring personnel; had a phone conversation and never received timely feedback about potential opportunities or why I wasn't a good match. I sent several follow-up emails with additional questions and also sought other opportunities at the company but was never given more than an informational interview.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the types of evaluations that can be used in this particular instance.   Answer Question

Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at TNTP in December 2010.

After applying, qualified candidates will be contacted for an initial HR screen. If you seem promising, you will be asked to complete a hiring exercise - take it seriously and take notes on your choices/process as you'll be asked about them during an interview. You will complete multiple interviews via phone and the final interview will likely be in person (may require travel, paid for by TNTP). Expect a lot of scenario questions - they will be looking for cultural competencies outlined in the job description (e.g., problem solving, critical thinking) that are core to the job. It's a long and at times painful process, but results in better fit hires. By the end, TNTP will know if you're a good fit for the role and you'll have a good sense whether it's the right place for you - not only in terms of responsibilities, but also having met multiple people you'll work closely with.

I didn't negotiate as I was told I was being hired at the top of the salary band for my role. Having gone through as a hiring manager, I now know that you can ask for hiring incentives (e.g., hiring bonus) that I should have pushed for since I was taking a salary cut. I also haven't been eligible for raises under the current compensation model because I'm at the top of the range for my role. COLA's are 1%, so in the real world, I've probably lost ground. I've gotten good performance bonuses, but just be thoughtful about coming in at the high end of compensation for your role as it does limit opportunities to earn raises without being promoted (and that usually takes a few years and is contingent on appropriate opportunities being available).

Executive Assistant Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at TNTP in August 2014.

Very extensive interview process containing 3 different phone interviews, a lengthy written exercise/test that is submitted over a few days period, and an in-person interview involving flying to corp. office in new york. Successfully passed all stages except the last in-person meeting with the CFO and CEO. I thought these interviews were a little odd and intense. I have interviewed (successfully) with multiple CFO's and CEO's for prior positions and these were very different. The CEO went down a list asking me very standard "old school" type of HR questions such as "Explain a failure and how you handled it" and "When were you unhappiest and why?" and was typing notes in her laptop as I spoke. I'm accustomed to CEO's being more conversational and intuitive in assessing candidates. They usually speak more in sharing their vision and current priorities as well. This CEO didn't speak much at all except in the end to share the cultural challenges with me and ask if I had any questions. The meeting had a formal tone with intense scrutiny and as such, I was less at ease. The CFO meeting was slightly more relaxed, but still felt odd. It felt more like a strategic planning session, as the CFO diagrammed out on a whiteboard the departmental structure and was marking my responses on the board to questions such as what did I envision would be the core priorities for the group I would be working with and how I would go about the job basically. It was tough to be specific without knowing greater detail about the internal processes/procedures and the specific challenges involved. There were also momentary awkward pauses as she looked at me and wasn't asking questions or responding to what I what I had just said. I was rejected as I suspected I would be after those meetings. I nicely asked for feedback to learn what they were seeking that I lacked which could be very helpful in my interview process. Disappointing that after 1.5months of interviews/test, they refused to provide me any feedback for their decision citing "company policy". Not a TNTP fan.

DC Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at TNTP in April 2012.

Process took six weeks. I applied online, and was then selected for a phone interview, which lasted for 20-30 minutes. I received an email invitation to an in-person interview in DC, and was told to prepare a 5-minute sample lesson to assist students in the mastery of an objective from a list of selected topics.

The interview was fast-paced and impersonal, which seems to be the way that DCTF can get through its high volume of applicants. A group of about 50 interviewees were broken up into sub-groups of 5-8, were briefly group-interviewed, and were asked to deliver their sample lessons. Following this section, members of each group were called into offices for individual interviews.

I was notified of my offer 1-2 weeks after my in-person interview.

Interview Questions
    • The sample lesson itself is very challenging; most applicants are far too ambitious with their delivery, and attempt to cover far too much content, or don't check for student understanding at all. This seems to often be an applicant's downfall.   Answer Question
    None. An employee's paycheck comes through DCPS or whatever charter chooses to hire a candidate after they complete the 6/7-week summer "institute"/TNTP summer academy; DCPS salaries are not negotiable, but are the highest in the country (starting over $50k; bonus opportunities into $110k); charters might be more flexible.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TNTP in June 2014.

I applied at the end of May and they called me in about two weeks to schedule a phone interview. Half of the phone interview was a role play of the case study they sent a few days before. I found that the case study they sent and the role the interviewer played were not consistent. It seemed that the interviewer did not read the case study carefully. I also found that for this particular position the format of the interview was pretty useless and that they were not testing the actual skills needed for the job. I kind of stopped the interview myself because I felt it was a waste of time for both of us. I don't think TNTP were clear with what they were looking for in terms of tech position.

Teacher Effectiveness Instructional Coach Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TNTP in March 2014.

I applied for a different position, and they contacted me about this position. I have previous experience, and I went straight to a phone interview - no extra work. The interview went well, but they wanted me to consider quitting my school year early so that I could start training.

Interview Questions
    • What was the minimum salary that I needed (despite not knowing what their average salary for the position was)?   Answer Question

Effectiveness Coach Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TNTP.

I applied for the job on April 26 and was contacted in late May about setting up a phone interview. The interview was pretty straight forward and conducted by a current teacher who was a teaching fellow several heard prior. The interview questions were pretty standard and relevant to the coaching position. Following the phone conversation, i received a hiring exercise that was messed to complete within 5 days. The assignment took about 8 hours total to complete and was directly to the skills needed for the job. Currently, i am waiting for next steps.

Project Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at TNTP in October 2011.

It was a very rigorous interview. First, you submit a resume and detailed cover letter. Then you have an initial phone call. If you advance, you are asked to complete a hiring project. If you pass that, you then undergo a rigorous interview. The process was challenging, but it made me feel like they were really striving to hire the best of the best.

Interview Questions
    • The hiring project was unexpected. They gave a strict two-hour timeline to complete it.   Answer Question

Project Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at TNTP in April 2014.

Very thorough interview process. I met lots of potential team members and colleagues.

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at TNTP in April 2013.

The application process was lengthy. It began with a sample task, then a series of phone interviews - one focused on the sample task and then one focused more on previous experiences. The next step was an in-person interview. I'm not certain how many more steps there would be after the in-person interview, or if the in-person interview would be one-on-one or with a panel.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions were about the sample task - definitely be prepared to explain and justify every step you took.   Answer Question

Worked for TNTP? Contribute to the Community!