TNTP

Updated Jan 21, 2015
Updated Jan 21, 2015

3.7

LMS Course Builder Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at TNTP in December 2014.

I applied online Nov 15th and received an email to complete a candidate exercise on Nov 26th. After completing the exercise, which took about 2 hours, I was invited for the first interview on December 10th. I had 2 phone interviews and a final offer on December 22nd, which I accepted. I thought the interview process was very thorough and gave me a good idea of what the day-to-day work would be like. This is a part-time remote position and the interview was all done remotely as well.

Interview Questions
    • If you had more time to do the exercise, what else would you have done or what would you have done differently?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TNTP.

First Step: Phone Fit Interview (Why TNTP? Background? Experience in Education?), Second Step: Practical Exercise (Data Analysis and PowerPoint), Third Step: Phone Presentation of Exercise (Review of Data Conclusions), and Final Step: Manager Interview (Understand of goals and Team fit)

Project Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at TNTP.

Emailed with hiring personnel; had a phone conversation and never received timely feedback about potential opportunities or why I wasn't a good match. I sent several follow-up emails with additional questions and also sought other opportunities at the company but was never given more than an informational interview.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the types of evaluations that can be used in this particular instance.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TNTP in August 2014.

The interview process consisted of several steps. The HR associate reached out to me via email to set everything up. HR was very friendly and professional, but I got "passed off" to several different associates throughout my interview process which felt a little impersonal.

The first component of the interview process was an analysis project, which older data from around 2007 was used. Two datasets were used; a survey and a larger dataset on teacher retention and movement around the district. Questions ranged from generic questions that demonstrate your ability to pull, filter, and manipulate data and do some very basic calculations to more creative and sophisticated questions that require you not only to manipulate data, but demonstrate how you did it and why you made those choices. A final component of the project required writing a one-page memo explaining analytical findings in layman's terms. Overall, the project was consistent with my day to day work but did take some considerable free time. You will be asked how long it took you to complete the analysis, so be sure to track yourself.

My first phone interview reviewed the analysis. Most of the questions were methodological -- how would you analyze this, explain how you did that, and so forth. I was asked in greater detail about my research projects at work. The interviewer clearly had a quant research background and applied a heavy level of scrutiny on methodology. His questions seemed to be rapid-fire, and he didn't come off as warm. Even as a person who is used to others being skeptical of research projects, I was caught a little off-guard and my confidence in explaining projects really took a hit from this lack of warmth.

I made it to a third round that consisted of phone interview two. The interviewer was the project manager for one of TNTP's school districts. She was much warmer, much friendlier, and we conversed about the challenges of communicating data to school districts and our experiences with consulting in these kinds of environments. The project manager said at the end of the interview that she would refer me on, but I later got an email stating they went with another candidate, which was a bummer.

The entire process lasted a few weeks, with each interview about a week apart from one another.

Interview Questions
    • Just expect to explain your methodological reasoning throughout the process, and don't get caught off guard if they don't seem very warm.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at TNTP in August 2014.

Very extensive interview process containing 3 different phone interviews, a lengthy written exercise/test that is submitted over a few days period, and an in-person interview involving flying to corp. office in new york. Successfully passed all stages except the last in-person meeting with the CFO and CEO. I thought these interviews were a little odd and intense. I have interviewed (successfully) with multiple CFO's and CEO's for prior positions and these were very different. The CEO went down a list asking me very standard "old school" type of HR questions such as "Explain a failure and how you handled it" and "When were you unhappiest and why?" and was typing notes in her laptop as I spoke. I'm accustomed to CEO's being more conversational and intuitive in assessing candidates. They usually speak more in sharing their vision and current priorities as well. This CEO didn't speak much at all except in the end to share the cultural challenges with me and ask if I had any questions. The meeting had a formal tone with intense scrutiny and as such, I was less at ease. The CFO meeting was slightly more relaxed, but still felt odd. It felt more like a strategic planning session, as the CFO diagrammed out on a whiteboard the departmental structure and was marking my responses on the board to questions such as what did I envision would be the core priorities for the group I would be working with and how I would go about the job basically. It was tough to be specific without knowing greater detail about the internal processes/procedures and the specific challenges involved. There were also momentary awkward pauses as she looked at me and wasn't asking questions or responding to what I what I had just said. I was rejected as I suspected I would be after those meetings. I nicely asked for feedback to learn what they were seeking that I lacked which could be very helpful in my interview process. Disappointing that after 1.5months of interviews/test, they refused to provide me any feedback for their decision citing "company policy". Not a TNTP fan.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TNTP in June 2014.

I applied at the end of May and they called me in about two weeks to schedule a phone interview. Half of the phone interview was a role play of the case study they sent a few days before. I found that the case study they sent and the role the interviewer played were not consistent. It seemed that the interviewer did not read the case study carefully. I also found that for this particular position the format of the interview was pretty useless and that they were not testing the actual skills needed for the job. I kind of stopped the interview myself because I felt it was a waste of time for both of us. I don't think TNTP were clear with what they were looking for in terms of tech position.

Effectiveness Coach Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at TNTP.

I applied for the job on April 26 and was contacted in late May about setting up a phone interview. The interview was pretty straight forward and conducted by a current teacher who was a teaching fellow several heard prior. The interview questions were pretty standard and relevant to the coaching position. Following the phone conversation, i received a hiring exercise that was messed to complete within 5 days. The assignment took about 8 hours total to complete and was directly to the skills needed for the job. Currently, i am waiting for next steps.

Project Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TNTP in April 2014.

Very thorough interview process. I met lots of potential team members and colleagues.

Teacher Effectiveness Instructional Coach Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TNTP in March 2014.

I applied for a different position, and they contacted me about this position. I have previous experience, and I went straight to a phone interview - no extra work. The interview went well, but they wanted me to consider quitting my school year early so that I could start training.

Interview Questions
    • What was the minimum salary that I needed (despite not knowing what their average salary for the position was)?   Answer Question

Site Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at TNTP in February 2014.

About two weeks after submitting application, I received an invite to complete an assignment. There was no indication about how long they thought it would take but it took me four full days - probably 40-50 hours. I don't see how you could do a good job putting in fewer than 20 hours and thats if you knew powerpoint and excel thoroughly. But I liked the project and had the time to put into it so I found it helpful but overkill. There are other projects that could have been designed to get the same result without taking up a ridiculous amount of time and potentially leaving candidates to feel bitter and annoyed. After turning in the assignment, I received an invite for a phone interview about a week later. The phone interview went okay - pretty standard questions. About four days later I received an update letting me know the hiring committee was still working on next steps and shortly after that I was told that they found a candidate who fit their needs better but encouraged me to apply for other open positions and that they would be back in touch if the same position reopened. Overall, TNTP is very professional, courteous, and great at communicating with candidates to keep them updated. It def made me more interested in pursuing opportunities with them in the future.

Interview Questions
    • Descrive a time when you wanted a different result than your boss, how did you approach the situation?   Answer Question