TNTP

Updated Oct 13, 2014
Updated Oct 13, 2014

3.7

Project Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TNTP in October 2011.

It was a very rigorous interview. First, you submit a resume and detailed cover letter. Then you have an initial phone call. If you advance, you are asked to complete a hiring project. If you pass that, you then undergo a rigorous interview. The process was challenging, but it made me feel like they were really striving to hire the best of the best.

Interview Questions
    • The hiring project was unexpected. They gave a strict two-hour timeline to complete it.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at TNTP in January 2011.

The same day I submitted my resume they emailed me to ask me to complete an assignment as a part of the interview process. It took a day to research the company and complete the assignment. Then the next week I had an in person interview. It was very strange. She typed everything I said like a zombie. Very impersonal and just weird overall. A day or so later they sent me an email telling me I didn't get the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at TNTP in January 2011.

The organization seemed interesting and passionate, but the interview process and applicant exercises (which take HOURS of your time to complete) was time consuming and, ultimately, a dead end. After the work and energy that I obviously put into it, it ended up being a disappointing waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • Can you explain your answers to the applicant exercise?   View Answer

Director Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TNTP in December 2010.

After applying, qualified candidates will be contacted for an initial HR screen. If you seem promising, you will be asked to complete a hiring exercise - take it seriously and take notes on your choices/process as you'll be asked about them during an interview. You will complete multiple interviews via phone and the final interview will likely be in person (may require travel, paid for by TNTP). Expect a lot of scenario questions - they will be looking for cultural competencies outlined in the job description (e.g., problem solving, critical thinking) that are core to the job. It's a long and at times painful process, but results in better fit hires. By the end, TNTP will know if you're a good fit for the role and you'll have a good sense whether it's the right place for you - not only in terms of responsibilities, but also having met multiple people you'll work closely with.

I didn't negotiate as I was told I was being hired at the top of the salary band for my role. Having gone through as a hiring manager, I now know that you can ask for hiring incentives (e.g., hiring bonus) that I should have pushed for since I was taking a salary cut. I also haven't been eligible for raises under the current compensation model because I'm at the top of the range for my role. COLA's are 1%, so in the real world, I've probably lost ground. I've gotten good performance bonuses, but just be thoughtful about coming in at the high end of compensation for your role as it does limit opportunities to earn raises without being promoted (and that usually takes a few years and is contingent on appropriate opportunities being available).

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TNTP in July 2010.

The New Teacher Project has you do a very long interview process. First, you have to send in your resume and your cover letter. Then, if they like your resume and cover letter they ask you to do a project. Then, if they like your project, they'll schedule a phone interview. If they like your phone interview they'll ask you to do a 1:1 interview.

Software Developer/Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at TNTP in April 2010.

Hiring began with an initial phone screening, not a technical interview, by the project manager. More of a test to see if I had the wright personality. A week later, this was followed by a face to face interview with the development team. This was a combination of a technical interview, and an opportunity for the team to "feel you out". some weeks later I got an offer for a 3 month contract. This was later extended to 6 months.

Interview Questions
    • Given your experience, do you expect to take on a lead / management position? because this is not a lead or management position.   View Answer
    • What is the word for null in vb?   View Answer
    the initial offer was for $50 / hour. I was able to negotiate a rate of $60 / hour. My advice is to remember that this is a not for profit, and don't expect to make a killing. Also, they are very picky. My offer was a contract to hire, and despite the contact extension, in the end they didn't hire me. I suspect that part of the reason why I wasn't brought on permanent was due to the high rate which I negotiated.

Site Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at TNTP.

A recruiter contacted me via Linked-In but I also applied online at TNTP.org. The site required a cover letter and answered several questions concerning the position. The recruiter then contacted me via email to share a position with me. I completed a hiring exercise, several phone interviews (one with human capital, one with human capital and director, one with director and partner), final on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • What quality would someone have to have in order to be better qualified than you?   View Answer

Site Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at TNTP.

The process is very shady and I have a feeling they use interviews as a source of information and even use the "exercises" as an excuse to gather free consulting.

They interview you, have you do exercises (the ones I did were using current data) that are literally the same thing schools pay TNTP to do. I was asked to make minor changes to the products I completed (such as formatting requirements) which seem strange when they are in theory looking for examples of how you will work but not expect you to already have a finished product. I was strong along and asked to do multiple exercises over about 4 weeks.

Finally I had another job offer so I asked them when they would know for sure one way or the other, they called back 5 minutes later and said "sorry we have just filled the position with someone else." That was 3 months ago, the position is still listed as a current opening.

In the end I am happy I did not end up there but I am disappointed in the way they handled the process, I almost feel like I should send them a bill for my consulting.

Interview Questions
    • None really, they just push you hard to make sure you believe exactly as they believe.   Answer Question

Site Manager Interview

I saw the position and it was exactly what I was looking for. I was so excited to apply. Well, I applied and heard back pretty quickly. A hiring manager contacted me. I got an email that I would need to do a hiring exercise. I was pumped about the hiring exercise because I genuinely enjoy work in this field. It was SO MUCH work but so interesting. I was actually quite shocked but excited. I researched and worked super hard on the project. I got an email back stating that the hiring manager had received my project and that they were impressed and grateful for my effort. A week later I got a rejection email. Honestly, Although the work was interesting, the amount of work I had to do was NOT worth it.

Interview Questions
    • Will you complete this hiring exercise?   View Answer

Site Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at TNTP.

I applied online for the role and overall, everyone was helpful and friendly. I really liked the hiring manager I interacted with - she seemed very sincere about her alignment with the mission of TNTP. The interview questions were quite standard (nothing surprising) and I did go through a number of "gates." I had a phone screen, an interview where we discussed my assignment and I received some feedback on it (though nothing detailed - I just got the sense they were impressed with it), an in person interview and then another phone interview. The thing that I think makes no sense at TNTP is the assignment... I'd rather do an assignment during an interview day (where all applicants get the same amount of time to spend on the work) or some other work product that provides a sense of the quality of an applicant's work (with more controlled boundaries time-wise). The problem I had was that even though you were given a sense of how long to spend on the assignment, you did not know what your competition was doing. So I felt like I had to spend a lot of time on it.

I get why TNTP does the assignment, but it's a huge time sink and I know it's not necessary. There are other ways to get to the same result. I've worked for "elite" employers with super smart people, and we were not given lengthy assignments pre-employment.

I think the assignment is totally not necessary - TNTP can improve how they screen applicants to better respect an applicant's time.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any difficult questions. But definitely be prepared to explain your work history and career choices.   Answer Question

To be so picky, their salaries are quite low. I knew the salary posted when I applied, but I had been told that sometimes salaries are negotiable - and they were, but not to the point where it was enough for me. To be fair, they really did try to offer me more (and they did). I appreciated the effort. I was unemployed when I got their offer, and frankly, the salary offer was so low, that I decided to remain unemployed and take a risk at some other opportunities I had in the pipeline. And it worked out much better for me that way.