TNTP Teaching Fellows Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2015

3.1

DC Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online the day before the deadline and got an email a week or two later to schedule a phone interview. Expect questions concerning working in a high-need urban schools specifically. The first 2/3 was questions about that and it was in the same vein as the application. The final part of the interview was "role-playing." The interviewer gave me a scenario and I had to talk to her as if I was a teacher talking to my class. Then, she would "coach" AKA tell me what I need to improve and ask me to try it again using what she told me

Interview Questions

• What percentage of the students success is a teacher responsible for?   Answer Question

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows in April 2015.

Interview

After filling out a somewhat extensive application that included repetitive essay question. Scheduled a phone interview for the next week that..no surprise here, had repetitive interview questions. It was easy enough. They send you some notes to look over and make sure you do so. They asked me about it. Also asked questions I already answered in the application.

Interview Questions

• Standard tell me about yourself. Role play: What to do questions. Students are on their mobile phones, give them directions following the What to do model. Students are passing notes, give them instructions to stop following the what to do model.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows in April 2015.

Interview

They call you on the phone, give you hypothetical situations, and make you repeat them in fewer words. You have to say the directions sequentially and NUMBER the steps. If you have Teach Like a Champion and have read the book, this will be easy. Please understand that this interview process is a model of the kind of feedback and practice you will do with your coach when you get your classroom observations. In my cohort, we were never interviewed in person or asked to present a mini-lesson. TNTP/BCTR just throws you to the wolves in the classroom once summer school starts.

Interview Questions

• What percentage of student learning would you say is your responsibility?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. These people are "my way or the highway"

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows in April 2015.

Interview

Quick moving and impersonal, but pretty easy overall. The impersonal nature of the interview was the most difficult part. I could tell the interviewer wanted to connect with me, but was very limited by the nature of TNTP and their very structured approach.

Interview Questions

• If a student of yours was continually late and their parent said there was nothing they could do to improve their child's tardiness, what would you do?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows in March 2015.

Interview

1st interview was phone interview. I had some kid who sounded like he was 12 call me. What a joke. He reads from a script and asks the same exact questions that were asked on the application. He would not go off script, even to clarify a question. It was frustrating and annoying.

Interview Questions

• All the questions involve "percentages" and what percent do you think this or that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

phone interview after you are invited, basic questions on you opinion of how to deal with issues in the the class room. Describe yourself, series of questions, and a role play. nothing too hard

Interview Questions

• How does your contribution to the students learning process change if you find out that the student can not obtain help pertaining to school outside of the classroom?   Answer Question

Teaching Fellows Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows (Telephone, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

25 minute interview..Very quantitative - thought that the interview went poorly but was ultimately offered a position. However, I will be unable to accept for financial reasons. It would be extremely difficult to relocate, and live for 3 months attending training full time without pay.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions are very similar to questions listed on the application.   Answer Question

financial reasons

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows.

Interview

The interview lasted for 30minutes and was pretty informal. The questions mainly asked how I would respond to different classroom situations. At the end you role-play with the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What kind of challenges do you think students specifically in low-income communities face?   Answer Question

The lack of job security

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows in January 2015.

Interview

Interview process is a series of questions and essays about teaching. You will have to know something about pedagogy before you choose to apply. Next, if your essays are deemed qualifying you get a phone interrier with a series of follow questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

It was acceptance to be a teacher for a non profit program.

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows in January 2015.

Interview

Lots of questions about current and past jobs. Lots of scenario questions. The person kept cutting me off. It's hard because you are not actually sitting there with the person. I actually thought I did horrible but received an offer. Just be yourself.